Sync Version Verification

it explains that that is how it 'confirms' and helps them maintain your actual Sync history:

The last step—and it’s an important one—is to confirm the successful installation. When you’re done installing the files in your vehicle’s Sync system, return to your computer and plug the same USB drive into the same USB port you used to download the files. This will upload confirmation files.

but the odd thing is, when you log in it gives you your installed Sync version - so it already knows - so not sure why this is needed. For example, based on VIN, mine shows CI (confirmed install): 5.5.7226_sp0

it explains that that is how it 'confirms' and helps them maintain your actual Sync history:

The last step—and it’s an important one—is to confirm the successful installation. When you’re done installing the files in your vehicle’s Sync system, return to your computer and plug the same USB drive into the same USB port you used to download the files. This will upload confirmation files.

but the odd thing is, when you log in it gives you your installed Sync version - so it already knows - so not sure why this is needed. For example, based on VIN, mine shows CI (confirmed install): 5.5.7226_sp0

It knows your previous version, but it doesn't know whether or not you successfully installed the new version until you plug it back in to the computer. Just because you downloaded the update doesn't mean it got applied or was successful. There is no other way for it to confirm that.

still not clear to me...

That newly released download is not a "new" Sync version or an 'update'. It looks to be just a verification tool "Sync Status Checker". As the only "new Sync" version/update - released a while ago - is only for 2008 model year Lincoln vehicles equipped with navigation radios and THX sound with the Sync language set to either French or Spanish.... not sure what you mean when you say "successfully installed the new version" as this tool is jut checking your system, which it seems to know what you have already, and not actually applying a new update.

I guess what seems odd as it knows what you have, but wants you to use this tool to tell them again what you have as this tool is not actually an update of anything.

Rereading that tool explanation... I am more wondering now if what it is doing is collecting data on what you have have customized or user habits on the system and what you use it for. some data collection. it is collecting this data to get an idea of how you use your system and giving them the feedback essentially. maybe to help them tailor needs down the line.

"This will enable us to keep you informed of pertinent enhancements and updates as they become available. In short, knowing how your Sync unit is configured will help us do a better job of serving you."

Edited by Lex Talionis

still not clear to me...

That newly released download is not a "new" Sync version or an 'update'. It looks to be just a verification tool "Sync Status Checker". As the only "new Sync" version/update - released a while ago - is only for 2008 model year Lincoln vehicles equipped with navigation radios and THX sound with the Sync language set to either French or Spanish.... not sure what you mean when you say "successfully installed the new version" as this tool is jut checking your system, which it seems to know what you have already, and not actually applying a new update.

I guess what seems odd as it knows what you have, but wants you to use this tool to tell them again what you have as this tool is not actually an update of anything.

Rereading that tool explanation... I am more wondering now if what it is doing is collecting data on what you have have customized or user habits on the system and what you use it for. some data collection. it is collecting this data to get an idea of how you use your system and giving them the feedback essentially. maybe to help them tailor needs down the line.

"This will enable us to keep you informed of pertinent enhancements and updates as they become available. In short, knowing how your Sync unit is configured will help us do a better job of serving you."

I didn't realize this was just the verification piece - I thought it was part of the update process.

There probably is more being confirmed than just the version number as you suspected. But without this verification the website can only guess as to which version you have installed. With this there is no guesswork. I suspect you'll be asked to do the same thing after installing an update (put the flash drive back in the computer for verification).

They want you to confirm to keep the site updated. It knows the versions and apps installed at factory, but not what you installed.

This time, I will be willing to give the devil (at least one of them) my habits if it makes SYNC better. There is no critical data in this vehicle - unlike Windows. So if they want to know what songs I am listening to and which contacts it could not understand - great - this helps in voice recognition in later updates. However, if people start hacking this - this would track the hacks and possible turn them off/prevent them. So it is a double edges sword.

Just my $0.02

Solas

well.. since they are the only ones putting out updates, there are not other items or updates we could possibly have 'installed' except for what they release on their site to us. so, nothing for them to really track in that respect as there is nothing for us to have "installed" on our own - except for the 1 Lincoln/THX update from a while back - but they would have that already in their system about you in your profile when you downloaded it at that time. And to my knowledge, I have never heard of a hacked Sync system yet nor 3rd party items put on this system.

logically, the only thing this really can be for is tracking user habits.

well.. since they are the only ones putting out updates, there are not other items or updates we could possibly have 'installed' except for what they release on their site to us. so, nothing for them to really track in that respect as there is nothing for us to have "installed" on our own - except for the 1 Lincoln/THX update from a while back - but they would have that already in their system about you in your profile when you downloaded it at that time. And to my knowledge, I have never heard of a hacked Sync system yet nor 3rd party items put on this system.

Geez, Lex, try to pay attention. Just because you DOWNLOADED an update doesn't mean you INSTALLED it. You could have downloaded version 1.1 but never installed it. Now the sync website thinks you have 1.1 but you have 1.0. The next time you download an update you'll get the wrong version. This is the only way for Sync to VERIFY that you've actually installed that version.

despite commenting first prior to not even knowing it was a verification tool until someone told you, and your telling me to "pay attention" :hysterical2:

though I get your point, but knew it prior to your pointing it out as it was logical, following what your implying... why would someone take the time to download the 1 update that was made available for French or Spanish users too a USB and not install it? Yeah, I suppose you could have downloaded it and then got sidetracked and never did it.. but slim chance at that - I mean come on, most that even do this effort are interested in seeing what they will get and follow thru on the install right then. but yes, it is possible. <_<

Got my Redfire 2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited yesterday. I ran the Sync Checker yesterday afternoon, I'm a computer guy by trade so I love this stuff. :) Uploaded the resulting file back to the syncmyride.com, and it doesn't seem to have actually told Ford/MS anything. It still thinks I need to run the checker, like the upload failed, even though it told me it was successfully. I'm going to try it again.

Picking up a 80GB Zune to leave in the car, that way I can sync my new media wirelessly via WiFi with my house from the garage when I leave in the morning or get home at night. :-)

Paul

despite commenting first prior to not even knowing it was a verification tool until someone told you, and your telling me to "pay attention" :hysterical2:

though I get your point, but knew it prior to your pointing it out as it was logical, following what your implying... why would someone take the time to download the 1 update that was made available for French or Spanish users too a USB and not install it? Yeah, I suppose you could have downloaded it and then got sidetracked and never did it.. but slim chance at that - I mean come on, most that even do this effort are interested in seeing what they will get and follow thru on the install right then. but yes, it is possible. <_<

I design software systems - every time you involve user interaction - you have to think of them as an idiot - seriously. And yes, I guarantee there are users that will download and never install - I just did - but will install later. So right now, I installed the update according to the website - but in reality I didnt. Just because you dont think it wont happen, does not mean that is reality. Microsoft did a good thing here (yes I actually wrote that). Could it be to track user habits - I am sure they do. Is it to capture any logs - I am sure it does. I am positive I have a log stating where I tried to "Call Parent" and it always attempts to "Call Marions" and it never goes anywhere.

If you want to believe only this, that is your right.

Further, I can guarantee someone along the way will hack it - it is microsoft and it is a computer. Yes it is a proprietary os - but so was Windows CE at one time. If I ever get bored, I could probably hack it - but I would have to be really bored. Just because it has not happened yet to your knowledge, does not mean it wont. For the longest time, people never touched PCM's. But now people hack (well now they program) them. There are even commercial objects to help you do that. I hacked my Verizon Phone - it is a proprietary os too.

Solas

maybe your car is so new, there is no personal info or user habits for it to send to them just yet.

My car is suppose to be here today and I was going to do it to see what happens, but since I am a firm believer it is also transferring user habits, I would not have anything to send.

post up what happens if you do it again.. hope it does not blow up your car :)

Further, I can guarantee someone along the way will hack it - it is microsoft and it is a computer. Yes it is a proprietary os - but so was Windows CE at one time. If I ever get bored, I could probably hack it - but I would have to be really bored. Just because it has not happened yet to your knowledge, does not mean it wont. For the longest time, people never touched PCM's. But now people hack (well now they program) them. There are even commercial objects to help you do that. I hacked my Verizon Phone - it is a proprietary os too.

Solas

I agree 100%.. didn't say it wouldn't be hacked, just said I have never read where it has as of yet. Heck, given what guys have done with the iPhone, I know it is possible. Just a matter of to what end? could you actually install applications? enhance it? open up some hidden features not yet tuned on but there (like in the iPhone)...likely to some degree.

the syncmyride.com mentions downloadable 'widgets'... but no details on them. and, they do not use that term when referring to these "updates" (like the French Spanish one) or the "verification tool" - so it kind of implies some other capabilities are there, just not yet available.

Remember this all software - even if the update did fail - say i was stuck by lightning - a simple trip to the Dealer to install the base sw and replace anything that fried will do the trick.

If you do the update right when you get the car - then M$ wont get any data from you in particular - but they did/will from me. But the next update they will get info from you.

NOTE: It looks like the updates are sequential and depend on each other - like SP2 requires SP1 etc. If it thinks you still have not installed SP1, it can let you install SP2 (etc etc).

Solas

though I get your point, but knew it prior to your pointing it out as it was logical, following what your implying... why would someone take the time to download the 1 update that was made available for French or Spanish users too a USB and not install it? Yeah, I suppose you could have downloaded it and then got sidetracked and never did it.. but slim chance at that - I mean come on, most that even do this effort are interested in seeing what they will get and follow thru on the install right then. but yes, it is possible. <_>

You've obviously never done software development, or you'd understand that you have to plan for every possible scenario regardless of whether it's likely or just a "slim chance".

Why do you keep pointing out that only 1 update has been made available so far? This is a tool for future use after many updates have been issued and that is when it will really be needed.

This is simple - without it the sync website can only guess as to what you have installed. With it they know exactly down to the minutest detail. And that makes a huge difference for managing software.

You've obviously never done software development, or you'd understand that you have to plan for every possible scenario regardless of whether it's likely or just a "slim chance".

Why do you keep pointing out that only 1 update has been made available so far? This is a tool for future use after many updates have been issued and that is when it will really be needed.

This is simple - without it the sync website can only guess as to what you have installed. With it they know exactly down to the minutest detail. And that makes a huge difference for managing software.

Why do you keep asking me "You've obviously never done software development" - you have said this several times already across threads (showing some signs of that repetitiveness you so disdain in me). so let me be official "no, I have never done software development before". But, I work on them all day long, tinker on them and am fairly intelligent enough to know "how things work" and understand logic. with that out of the way....

the reason I point out only 1 update so far is that it plays a key role in this discussion and the timeline of things relative to the release of this checker. It gets boring to explain, but follow me as I think my logic is pretty clear whether you like me or not....

why release a checker at this stage? only 1 update has been released. That 1 update was for a VERY SMALL percentage of the Sync users: Lincoln with THX stereo and using Spanish or French display. And how many of that population actually installed it? What were they hoping to verify? If you were not one of the very few to do that first and only update, what would there be a need to verify at this stage with no other updates haveing been released? EVERYONE else will be at base level OEM release. THAT is why having only 1 release matters here as it seems early to release a checker to verify what you have.

I could see it being needed maybe 5 more universal releases down the road when who knows what everyone has... but at this stage, like 99.9% of the people would have the original OEM level with no updates applied. with so few updates out, yes just 1, it seems much more plausible - especially when looking what I point out in conjunction with their comment "knowing how your Sync unit is configured" leads me to speculate that this checker is no checking jack at this stage.. but just gathering data and sending it back. which I do not care about really.. maybe in 5 updates it will have something to check, but for mow, the only real thing is that people have a lot of usage data and so it is not to early to start collecting that.

feel me?

Before you get all upset on me - first, this is the only thread where I mention I am a software developer.

Second, you are indeed entitled to what you want to believe and I will leave it at that.

Third, ever think they have this tool developed BEFORE there are several versions to go through? Why should M$ have Windows Update Version Check developed at the release of Windows - even though there are no updates. Because it it creates a seamless life model of the software and it is not something they have to pound out after the fact.

Good luck m8 and I was not attacking in anyway shape or form.

Solas

I heard back from the SyncMyRide.com support folks on the issue I had uploading my response file from the "Status Checker" tool. Here's what they said:

Paul, thank you for your inquiry regarding updates on SyncMyRide.com.

We are aware of the issues that customers are having with the update program on SyncMyRide.com and are looking into a solution. We will contact you with a follow-up email when a solution is in place. For the time being, there is nothing you will need to do. You may wish to keep the Sync update file and log file on your thumb drive for the time being.

In other words, it doesn't work. :rolleyes: :lol:

I am going to generate another log file and see what it contains, assuming it isn't encrypted. I think I'll poke at the cab file that was downloaded, but my guess is everything is signed by Ford, at the very least I should be able to extract the contents. :)

Paul

I thought of another reason while I think this thing is not checking jack but just sending data...

why make 2 pieces of software, beta test them, debug them, have a team and hardware and support for them and release them when they can do it with 1?

for example, I got to thinking of all the products I use that require updating software: routers, mac OS, applications, phone, ipod, scanners, cameras, blah blah and I could not think of 1 that had a stand alone verification tool to run prior to updating. the verification of what you have and if you can use the next update comes in and is part of said next update and when you try to apply it it then tells you "sorry, you do not have xxx and need to apply xxx before upgrading to this yyy". You do not run 2 tools - especially not one now and one when.. who knows when. It makes no sense here. they do not need to verify anything... they just need to release a next update - like every other company does - and people try to install it and the update tells you whether you can or not as it verifies right there on the spot what you have and what you can do. no verifying tools now... and maybe a new update months away.

heck.. this is a MS product.... what do you expect from them but something like

Just take it from two professional software developers that this is a good idea and the right way to do it. I'm tired of explaining the same thing to you over and over. If you don't like something then just say that and be done with it.

okay then... I don't like you explanation. I really think in this case you are wrong :yup: My logical points seem more solid than your it's a "good idea and the right way to do it". I do not accept it just because you are some random professional software developer - kind of odd to even assume we should because you say so. at least solas989 had some tangible points to work with.

okay then... I don't like you explanation. I really think in this case you are wrong :yup: My logical points seem more solid than your it's a "good idea and the right way to do it". I do not accept it just because you are some random professional software developer - kind of odd to even assume we should because you say so. at least solas989 had some tangible points to work with.

Logic? The only logic you need is that without this tool the syncmyride website is simply guessing about which version you have installed. With this tool there is no more guessing and as long as the customer executes it according to directions the website will be 100% correct 100% of the time. If that's not logical then I give up. Just admit that you don't understand it and move on.

Well akriby... you have flabbergasted me here. seriously - all BS aside. somehow, despite my 2legit points, you just fail to see that everyone is at the OEM level Sync version right now so there is really nothing to verify at this stage. there are not 8 possible updates floating around and people could have any one of those 8 so they want to know what you have. there is the OEM factory everyone will have right now except for that 1, hypothesized by me to be very low percent applied MKX update given its tight constraints. as well, verification checkers are generally built into the new update, and not stand alone. 2 good points I believe. And, rather than provide legit counterpoints to mine, you just pull the parent/child move on me... "this is how it is"... "but why daddy akirby?"... "um, because I say it is and I am the all knowing parent" - and that doesn't fly with me. like solas offered, I expect more reasoning and actual points from a software designer/engineer if anyone.

so let me raise a 3rd point. one that might prove conclusively that this is not checking anything per se, just sending data.

why doesn't someone here who has a 2007 or 2008 Edge with nav - or maybe a 2007 MKX with nav but no THX - download and try to install the mentioned 1 update available (8L2T-14D544-AE). Since this is only for 2008 Lincoln's with nav and THX with language set to either French or Spanish my premiss is that it will NOT be installable on an Edge or MKX configuration not matching the tight requirements and that in fact, there will be a verification checker built into the update that lets you know you cannot install and hence, no stand alone verification checker is required and that one available now is just a red herring used for data collection on habits.

seems like a logical next step to find out just what this little piece of software is really doing.

Edited by Lex Talionis

If your point was that it was gathering data for other uses then I already said that it probably was - did you miss that?

Your point was the verification piece didn't make sense and I still say it makes perfect sense to anyone who understands how software works, even if right now there is only one potential update. Doesn't it make sense to put the tool out there now so that it's there when needed rather than wait until there are 2 or 3 updates?