Sync Version Verification

well.. I tried to download this "Checker" - at step 3 it starts to download, I see the progress bar, and then it says "We weren’t able to download the following files: Sync Status Checker 1.0" BUT, when I look on the USB drive it is there!! No reason to try it in the Edge as I cannot even come back in and confirm at step 4 as I cannot pass Step 3 and I understand it that you need to do it all together while logged in in a session. Tried it on mac and pc and 3 browsers on each and with all of their requirements in place: supported browser, USB plugged in and not removed during download, JS turned on... no dice. half the time, the Java Applet in step 3 would not even load to begin with. but when it did, just stops after step 3.

jeezz... I am trying to let them collect personal data from me.... and they won't take it ;)

everyone is at the OEM level Sync version right now so there is really nothing to verify at this stage. there are not 8 possible updates floating around and people could have any one of those 8 so they want to know what you have.

Very true - however - I believe there ARE different versions. 1 for NAV and 1 without NAV because the commands are indeed different - thus there are two versions of SYNC running about on the streets. Now I know SycnMyRide is supposed to know your default version, but accidents and mistakes do happen (look at M$ Vista).

as well, verification checkers are generally built into the new update, and not stand alone.

While on connected systems this is true and I agree with that. However, this is a disconnected system - your vehicle is not hooked up to the internet (would that not be sweet - my edge is on the internet - hahahaah) or update program; even IF the checker was in the update - this is not what this checker is described to be used for. It is for SyncMyRide to determine which version you have and what available updates are needed - not for checking if your system is correct to install the update downloaded (two different checker programs).

so let me raise a 3rd point. one that might prove conclusively that this is not checking anything per se, just sending data.

It has to check data to get it first - even if it just gets user preferences, it has to check them to log them before it sends them. If I had to guess, it does get preferences but also does what it is intended to.

why doesn't someone here who has a 2007 or 2008 Edge with nav - or maybe a 2007 MKX with nav but no THX - download and try to install the mentioned 1 update available (8L2T-14D544-AE). Since this is only for 2008 Lincoln's with nav and THX with language set to either French or Spanish my premiss is that it will NOT be installable on an Edge or MKX configuration not matching the tight requirements and that in fact, there will be a verification checker built into the update that lets you know you cannot install and hence, no stand alone verification checker is required and that one available now is just a red herring used for data collection on habits.

I would hope that the update files would check to make sure the update it would try to install is valid - ie if I tried to install the only available update, it should fail as I do not have OEM Nav, MKX or THX. However, this is not the intent of the checker per my knowledge. This checker is to keep your login to SyncMyRide up to date with the correct versions installed - at least as much as possible - to offer you the correct updates, any applications you want to buy/install (I would only ASSUME this will eventually be a feature) from the website. Now, I am not going to try this update as I have not seen white papers or other documents describing the update process and I really dont want to go to the dealer to fix any problems (this is still M$ btw). My dealers are all a bunch of morons.

seems like a logical next step to find out just what this little piece of software is really doing.

I took a look at the binaries - it is indeed getting logs - I will have to install it to see what is in the logs. I have downloaded it to my jump drive but still have not installed it.

FYI

The hardware underpinnings to Sync are a small, in-dash computer running Windows Automotive, with 256 Mbytes of RAM and a 400-MHz StrongArm processor. More than 50 cars already use Windows Automotive as an in-car operating system. While it had teething problems early in the decade, it's considered to be much improved now.

I dont know if this was known or not - but Windows Automtive has been around for a while - get the right people together, and you can "hack" it or build modules for it (I am thinking different voices for now). The strongarm processor has been around for eons and is easily coded for. With 256MB of RAM however, I dont think there will be room for large additional/third party modules.

Solas

well.. I tried to download this "Checker" - at step 3 it starts to download, I see the progress bar, and then it says "We weren’t able to download the following files: Sync Status Checker 1.0" BUT, when I look on the USB drive it is there!! No reason to try it in the Edge as I cannot even come back in and confirm at step 4 as I cannot pass Step 3 and I understand it that you need to do it all together while logged in in a session. Tried it on mac and pc and 3 browsers on each and with all of their requirements in place: supported browser, USB plugged in and not removed during download, JS turned on... no dice. half the time, the Java Applet in step 3 would not even load to begin with. but when it did, just stops after step 3.

jeezz... I am trying to let them collect personal data from me.... and they won't take it ;)

I had some issues too downloading it - but i quickly fumbled though it. It does not like Firefox - at least my version. But that would make sense because FF, Mozilla Opera etc are competitors to IE>thus SyncMyRide = M$ = IE only compatible.

I dont have macs as they stink for my uses - but I dont doubt it will be difficult for macs to work with it as it is M$ based. Long history lots of drama there.

If i recall correctly, my first attempt with FF did not work. So i thought it was compatibility with FF and used IE6. This first attempt did not work. It worked as you described and had the progress bar but nothing happened for 7 minutes. So I closed IE6 and logged back in again and I had to install the ActiveX codec (top of browser below address bar - right click install activex etc). Then this made it all work.

I will try to download again from home - this will be on IE7.

Good Luck

Solas

it seems paulmon is the only one reporting success in downloading and allow to go to step 4 - but then says it failed at that stage despite acting like it uploading. I would like to just get past stage 3. :)

I sent an email to the tech people, will see what they say.

If I was able to get to Step 3 and activate the applet and have it do it's download - so it showed - despite saying it was not a success when I do in fact have files on the USB - than I would say that is some proof the browser is not likely the issue (but programming maybe?) as it is also a supported browser and platform: mac with Safari.

NOTE: same result today... downloads - but claims didn't and stops me at step 3 <_<

more than wanting to do this to give them data I want to do this to learn the process and work out any bugs so that I can successfully download the stuff that really matters in the coming future.. but at this rate.. no love

Edited by Lex Talionis

I forgot to mention that Windows Automotive is Open Source Platform

Which means to those who can code in Windows CE .NET platform builder tool can create applications for it. Unless of course Ford requested M$ to lock down this SYNC version.

Now, what OS is the NAV system? I ask because it would be sweet for those to code apps for it and show it on the screen.

Solas

Check this out.....

Despite the system telling me at step 3 that it did not download the update to my USB (even though I can see it on the USB) I decided to stick it in the Edge anyway... when I did and followed the "Install" process, the Edge reported the install was a success.

I then came in and on a whim, logged back into Syncmyride.com and put my USB in the port and started all over again to see what would happen. Well, when I was in Step 1 and telling it where my USB drive is and which one to use to download to.. it went to a new screen - jumped to Step 4 right over Step 3 - that said something like "we see you have an install already and have files ready to upload, do you want to".. I selected "yes" and then got an upload status bar, watched it upload, but then like the others here I got a message that it failed to upload successfully even though it ran the whole 100% progress bar.

Now, in my Installation History are like 15 listings of this checker & some other stuff I did not do - BUT it shows some as CI some as CU and some as RFI.... for example, it shows 5.5.7226_sp0 (that Lincoln only update) as CI???? and shows some of the Checker as CU but mostly RFI...

all I can say is WTF???

CI - confirmed install CU - confirmed uninstall RFI - requested for install)

the 'checker' was only meant for those that installed that 1 update - Lincoln with THX and French Spanish - they just failed to mention that part in the description they told me. So, the checker was only meant to check for those people, and of NO value whatsoever for all of the rest of us that are OEM (as we are all still OEM) - and will not be carried forward in the future. it is a dead and obsolete piece of software at the next update.

So, maybe it still collected habits and maybe not. I cannot view the CAB file so have no real idea...But the more interesting part, at least as I see it, is that like I said and theorized about, there would be no reason to have a stand alone checker when it will be built into the next update.. like every other piece of software in the world does. sure enough, it seems that they were on the same page as I was and that 'checker' will not be an ongoing piece into the future.

But look man.. I am not interested in getting into yet another boring circular peeing match with you if that is where you want to go again.. so lets say we just leave it at this and take their new disclosure for what it is.. and call it done

Edited by Lex Talionis

But look man.. I am not interested in getting into yet another boring circular peeing match with you if that is where you want to go again.. so lets say we just leave it at this and take their new disclosure for what it is.. and call it done

You know, I almost thought you were taking the high road - I guess not. Comments like this lowers ones respect for you - IMO.

One can be wrong, one can be right as we have no idea the life cycle for SYNC or what M$ plans to do with it after Fords 1 year exclusive contract. Further, what is your source of information?

Solas

You know, I almost thought you were taking the high road - I guess not. Comments like this lowers ones respect for you - IMO.

One can be wrong, one can be right as we have no idea the life cycle for SYNC or what M$ plans to do with it after Fords 1 year exclusive contract. Further, what is your source of information?

Solas

Solas - I was simply just trying to head off another online bickering match. Not to worried about peoples opinions of me though. That's life.

As for my source of information, if you read my posts, I am pretty good about prefacing where my info comes from and in this case, it is direct from Ford. Emails (of which I keep them all) with the Ford techs I have opened at the Syncmyride.com website.

So, the checker was only meant to check for those people, and of NO value whatsoever for all of the rest of us that are OEM

The problem is you're assuming that all of the OEM versions are the same, and that's not a good bet. E.g. don't you think that new Sync modules being put into cars right now already have that foreign language update? So even if you're OEM and haven't upgraded you could have one of at least two different versions.

I don't want to keep arguing either but you keep making incorrect statements about things you don't understand even when people who do understand tell you differently (and not just me, either).

here we go then.....

so, I can't make assumptions and you can? please. you just said "don't you think that new Sync modules being put into cars right now already have that foreign language update?" - that is a 100% assumption on your part to assume they are doing that, is it not? You also 'assume' that there could be 2 different version out there - the old in older cars and a new one in newer cars - by saying what you said.

You like to put words in my mouth and spin these things in the wrong direction. I reported back exactly, in quotes, what the tech said. And the funny thing about that is, they are reporting they will be doing exactly what I said they would likely be doing. but you just blow that fact off and move to some other point you can harp on.

Now, if you want to ask for my assumptions, since you routinely make them like any human does when solving vexing issues, I will give it to you: I am not assuming they are or are not doing what you said here.

So Solas... you going to come to my aid now? You don't think: "you don't understand even when people who do understand tell you differently (and not just me, either)." is just as inflammatory and cutting statement to make?

There are indeed two different "OEM" versions - at least. Lex proved that in another thread. The SYNC logic is different with NAV - thus it most likely is a different version (most likely because they could code to check for NAV and use operating logic A and then use logic B if NAV not exist in the same version). Further, since auto manufacturers do indeed do production updates through the year, most likely the latest 2008 MKX with NAV and THX have the update (or will very soon).

Lex - I was just too lazy to look back through thread. Can you post some of the emails please?

I just wish there was technical documentation on Sync - but that might release a trade secret before their year is up.

I wonder if I could find anything on Sync for Fiat (named Blue&Me) - there might be more on that since it has been out longer

Solas

Solas -

I guess that I didn't actually think I 'proved' there were 2 different 'Sync versions' per se when it was talked about that Sync operated different for those with Nav setup versus the basic stereo no-nav setup. I was just relaying info from Ford I got and I did not decipher that as 2 actual different Sync versions, I read it as the same Sync version which allowed functions in 1 not in the other. For example, Mac OS 10.5 is the same for everyone, but putting it on a laptop and putting it on a desktop open functions available on 1 that are not on the other based on the hardware of the unit. But it is still all system 10.5 - same system for everyone, different result based on what hardware you install it on.

I would also agree with you that in theory "since auto manufacturers do indeed do production updates through the year, most likely the latest 2008 MKX with NAV and THX have the update (or will very soon)." - but in Akirby's estimation, this is an assumption and not cool of you or I or anyone to make and I was just tying to show assumptions are a logical step in solving problems and a very needed tool and we all make and use them.

----------------- Here are some of the relative quotes, direct from Ford techs, that I got in emails that are of interest just to this thread -----------------

Scot: "The status checker update is for the first update recommended for 2008 model year Lincoln vehicles. Future updates will already have the status checker part of the particular update."

Scott: "You are correct, it does not state that but it was originally set up for that update." - in answer to my question that if the 'checker' is in fact just for the Lincoln with THX & special language needs, why does it not say so on the description?

Scott: "The status checker update is recommended for 2008 model year Lincoln vehicles equipped with navigation radios and THX sound with the Sync language set to either French or Spanish.) Installing it will not provide any benefit to your use of Sync, nor have any negative effects for you."

Scott: "The Screen Controls Service Enhancement is able to be installed in your Sync system, despite the fact that it is not necessary for your configuration. Installing it will not provide any benefit to your use of Sync, nor have any negative effects for you." - when asked just what would happen if you tired to add that THX Lincoln update with special language needs to a car not meeting those specs. I was just fishing for data when I asked this.

Scott: "We are aware of the issues that customers are having with the update program on SyncMyRide.com and are looking into a solution." - when asked about my personal download/upload issue - and that others were reporting about having troubles downloading, and or uploading to verify the checker

Edited by Lex Talionis

still not clear to me...

That newly released download is not a "new" Sync version or an 'update'. It looks to be just a verification tool "Sync Status Checker". As the only "new Sync" version/update - released a while ago - is only for 2008 model year Lincoln vehicles equipped with navigation radios and THX sound with the Sync language set to either French or Spanish.... not sure what you mean when you say "successfully installed the new version" as this tool is jut checking your system, which it seems to know what you have already, and not actually applying a new update.

I guess what seems odd as it knows what you have, but wants you to use this tool to tell them again what you have as this tool is not actually an update of anything.

Rereading that tool explanation... I am more wondering now if what it is doing is collecting data on what you have have customized or user habits on the system and what you use it for. some data collection. it is collecting this data to get an idea of how you use your system and giving them the feedback essentially. maybe to help them tailor needs down the line.

"This will enable us to keep you informed of pertinent enhancements and updates as they become available. In short, knowing how your Sync unit is configured will help us do a better job of serving you."

Lex - this is what you wrote at the beginning of the thread. You said that there was no benefit from the status checker because it already knows what version you have. If you had installed the French or Spanish update previously, that did not have the status checker built in yet, so those people need to run the status checker so the syncmyride database is 100% up to date and in sync (pun intended) for everyone that actually runs the status checker. Again - just because someone downloaded the update doesn't mean they actually installed it.

You were correct in that anyone who had not installed an update apparently doesn't need the status checker (but it won't hurt to run it) - that is clear now from the emails.

Can we agree on all that and move on?

I hate to kick a dead horse - but as I suspected, this is not a dead end program checker

Solas, thank you for your inquiry regarding the Sync Status Checker

The Purpose of the Sync Status Checker is that after you install an update, you then would run the status checker on your SYNC system. After the status check runs on your system you would then insert the USB device back into your PC to send the results of the status check from your PC to the syncmyride.com site where our records would update to indicate which version of SYNC you are running.

If you have any other inquiries regarding SYNC, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company KL

According to this, this program lives on past the only update available per Ford.

Solas

• 1 month later...

Wanted to thank those of you who have commented in this post for taking the time .. you have helped me indirectly.. I have a 2008 Edge with Sync (obviously), and I am not a computer programmer or software developer, but I know enough that downloading to a thumbdrive, plugging it in the vehicle, letting the install run, and then plugging the usb back into the car sounds easy... but here is my catch.. Downloaded version checker, see it on usb, but vehicle will not see it.. says usb drive empty... Now, I don't have nav, and thanks to your posts, I see now that it is not really necessary for my vehicle... I am upset that there is limited help in regards to this.. I have checked version of internet explorer, I have downloaded updated Java version, and I see the install active x line under the menu bar at the top, and I click on it, and the download happens great... just the auto does not see it... frustrating to take the time to try to figure this out and now see not really important for my purposes.... I hope not to have this problem in the future....

Thanks again for sharing....

• 5 weeks later...

Just read through this forum and I wanted to reply about the USB problem. Check if your USB drive is running encryption and check to see if it is formatted in Fat32. The vehicle won't be able to read the drive if it is encrypted or formatted in NTFS instead of Fat32. Also possibly try a different thumb drive. Some only work in Windows XP/ Vista, maybe that is the issue.

Just my $.02

Wanted to thank those of you who have commented in this post for taking the time .. you have helped me indirectly.. I have a 2008 Edge with Sync (obviously), and I am not a computer programmer or software developer, but I know enough that downloading to a thumbdrive, plugging it in the vehicle, letting the install run, and then plugging the usb back into the car sounds easy... but here is my catch.. Downloaded version checker, see it on usb, but vehicle will not see it.. says usb drive empty... Now, I don't have nav, and thanks to your posts, I see now that it is not really necessary for my vehicle... I am upset that there is limited help in regards to this.. I have checked version of internet explorer, I have downloaded updated Java version, and I see the install active x line under the menu bar at the top, and I click on it, and the download happens great... just the auto does not see it... frustrating to take the time to try to figure this out and now see not really important for my purposes.... I hope not to have this problem in the future....

Thanks again for sharing....