looking to purchase, but need a couple answers...

lammer

With Ford of Canada's recent deal of 0% financing, I'm considering making the jump from my Fusion to an 2008 Edge Limited.

I live in Windsor, ON...

I've got a several questions, that I hope some of you "seasoned" Edge owners might be able to answer.

1) Not sure if I need to go with AWD or just FWD, with the cost of gas going up and up... I'm wondering if there is any appreciable difference in gas mileage between the two?

2) I'm wondering about the chrome clad wheels, how well do they hold up to curb rash?

3) If I go with AWD, I'm wondering if the 20's will handle as well as the 18" aluminums?

4) How does the Vista roof handle an all-black interior in the summer? I know my black interior in my Fusion gets crazy hot if the sun roof is left open. Does the shade keep the black leather seats (in the Edge) cool?

5) I've read up on the problems with red Edges when they first came out... are they still a problem with the 08's? The reason I'm asking is I was thinking of getting a red limited with 20's and the interior package. (does anyone have pics of this setup?)

Sorry for the mulitple questions, but I thought it would be better to post one message than multiple ones.

thanks in advance folks...

I can answer a few:

2: the few curbs I rubbed as I was getting used to having a wider vehicle was absorbed by the tires (never touched the wheel); they sure are easy to clean! The clads get a lot of hate mail around here, but to each his own.

4: I kept the sun shade closed most of the summer and my black leather never got extemely hot. Even hit triple digits and it was never uncomfortably hot, plus the AC cooled it down fairly quickly as well.

5: I'd stay away from the reds just in case, you never know, but that's just me... :glare:

I can answer a few:

2: the few curbs I rubbed as I was getting used to having a wider vehicle was absorbed by the tires (never touched the wheel); they sure are easy to clean! The clads get a lot of hate mail around here, but to each his own.

4: I kept the sun shade closed most of the summer and my black leather never got extemely hot. Even hit triple digits and it was never uncomfortably hot, plus the AC cooled it down fairly quickly as well.

5: I'd stay away from the reds just in case, you never know, but that's just me... :glare:

Carbon,

I live in Texas and the temp can get into the 100's pretty easy. I currently have a Isuzu Rodeo and will soon be getting something new (leaning towards the Edge). In my Rodeo I have a moon roof with a manually sliding sun shade. In the summer I put the roof in the vent position (back angled up and open) and then close the sun shade most of the way. I have found that this lets the care vent some air, yet blocks most of the direct sun. Can you acomplish something similar in the Edge? I know the sun shades are automatic, can you have them partially open or are fully open and fully closed the only options?

Clayton

You can vent the roof (the back edge tilts up an inch maybe) but I'm almost 99% sure the sun shade has to be open all the way. If I think about it I will check it out on the way home today. You can open the shade partially, but to open or "tilt" as the button says, I think it has to be open all the way.

That's a good way to speed up the cooling as well. Tilt it open, AC wide open, pushes the hot air out, then close it and get frosty...

With Ford of Canada's recent deal of 0% financing, I'm considering making the jump from my Fusion to an 2008 Edge Limited.

I live in Windsor, ON...

I've got a several questions, that I hope some of you "seasoned" Edge owners might be able to answer.

1) Not sure if I need to go with AWD or just FWD, with the cost of gas going up and up... I'm wondering if there is any appreciable difference in gas mileage between the two?

2) I'm wondering about the chrome clad wheels, how well do they hold up to curb rash?

3) If I go with AWD, I'm wondering if the 20's will handle as well as the 18" aluminums?

4) How does the Vista roof handle an all-black interior in the summer? I know my black interior in my Fusion gets crazy hot if the sun roof is left open. Does the shade keep the black leather seats (in the Edge) cool?

5) I've read up on the problems with red Edges when they first came out... are they still a problem with the 08's? The reason I'm asking is I was thinking of getting a red limited with 20's and the interior package. (does anyone have pics of this setup?)

Sorry for the mulitple questions, but I thought it would be better to post one message than multiple ones.

thanks in advance folks...

IMO I would go with the AWD in Canada. The gas milage is not much different and the first time it snows you will ask yourself why you did not get AWD. I personally like the clad wheels. They are easy to clean and look and fit the style of the car IMO. As far as curb rash goes don't worry about it. If you rub any rim you get damage. I had real chrome on my 2004 Pacifica and was forever cleaning the rims hopeing the would not rust or pit. The painted rims are nice but the chrome adds a little something extra. :shades: I have 18's because i did not like the profile on the 20's, but thats a matter of preference. Also there are a lot of potholes and rough road surface here on long island, NY. Black interior will always be hotter in the summer, although i had it in my 2004 Pacifica and it was not much of a problem. I have leather camel now and love the look. First year production cars always have some issues, but this car seems to have done well in its first year. I know some don't want to look at consumer reports, but the Edge is a recommended car after its first year. Buy what you like :shades: it's your car.

I have an 08 MKX AWD monochrome black with the vista roof and live just up the highway from you in Toronto. I can provide the following observations:

Based on the last few weeks of constant snow I would strongly recommend the AWD. I have installed winter tires as well and combined with the AWD you will not get stuck. We have a cottage in Muskoka and snow has never been a problem - control and traction are always on tap. So far I am not too concerned about gas mileage with AWD (winter is always bad). My previous Ford Freestyle AWD actually had great gas mileage (in my opinion).

The MKX monochrome comes with 20" chrome clad wheels. I think they really look sharp. Will curb hits cause a problem with them? Perhaps depending on curb height but you may have to make sure you do your parallel parks a little more carefully. The 20" tires have a fairly low profile compared to the 18" tires. I have found that you can make a mess of aluminum rims on curbs as well.

As I mentioned, I have installed winter tires but rather than 20" I have 18" on dedicated aluminum rims. I have not noticed much difference in handling - although I put the winter tires on about 3 weeks after I got the MKX so I have not driven that far on the 20's (but they sure are big and heavy when they are off the vehicle).

I cannot really comment on the vista roof in summer since I have not gone through a summer. It is a huge opening! The MKX comes with cooled seats so I am sure this will help. My wife's Zephyr (now MKZ) has cooled seats and they are amazing in the summer. My previous vehicle was a black Ford Freestyle (camel interior) and in the summer it would very quite hot (even the camel colour seats). The sunroof helped during the initial cooling to get air moving but the air conditioning system was able to cool the vehicle fairly quickly. The sun shade will certainly help.

I cannot comment on the issues with the red colour and it really is a personal preference. My last 4 vehicles have been black (really classy when it is clean something that's hard to do in winter).

Bill.

You can vent the roof (the back edge tilts up an inch maybe) but I'm almost 99% sure the sun shade has to be open all the way. If I think about it I will check it out on the way home today. You can open the shade partially, but to open or "tilt" as the button says, I think it has to be open all the way.

That's a good way to speed up the cooling as well. Tilt it open, AC wide open, pushes the hot air out, then close it and get frosty...

Confirmed, if you hit tilt, the sun shade opens all the way prior to the actual opening of the roof.

I have an 08 MKX AWD monochrome black with the vista roof and live just up the highway from you in Toronto. I can provide the following observations:

<snip>

As I mentioned, I have installed winter tires but rather than 20" I have 18" on dedicated aluminum rims. I have not noticed much difference in handling - although I put the winter tires on about 3 weeks after I got the MKX so I have not driven that far on the 20's (but they sure are big and heavy when they are off the vehicle).

<snip>

I have the FWD, but am wondering why you chose winter tires? Is it because chains/cables are not encouraged in the owner's manual if you have 18-20" rims? Or is more of a Canadian snow thing? :)

Rusty

Rusty,

I have purchased winter tires for my last 3 vehicles. I would have to say that it is a 'snow thing' and really has nothing to do with chains/cables. Winter tires provide superior traction and braking in snow, slush and icey conditions compared to the "all season" tires (which are really only good for 3 seasons if you get snow in winter). In cold temperatures the rubber compounds in winter tires remain very flexible whereas the compounds in all season tires cause the tires to be very stiff considerable reducing traction. Tread design in winter tires is very different than all seasons leading to better traction for winter tires. This year I put winter tires on my wife's Zephyr (MKZ) and she can't believe the difference - the standard all season Michelin's just do not give the same level of control.

Bill