Deposit on an Ordered Vehicle

I'd like to order a new 2016 Edge and have spoken to 2 dealerships in our area. Both of them require deposits at the time of order placement. One is asking for $1k and the other is asking for $500. Is this pretty typical? I'm just afraid that if we put a deposit down, we'll lose some bargaining power and/or if the vehicle isn't to our specifications, we might be stuck somehow. Any experience here? Thanks!

Absolutely normal. As for bargaining you wouldn't order it until you've agreed on a price. Most will refund the deposit if you decide to get something else provided it's a vehicle they would normally stock. But that's up to the dealer. If you do it make sure there is a timeframe in the contract so that if it takes too long they have to refund the deposit.

There are some dealers that will order without a deposit.

• Like 1

I concur. I went the Costco route and special ordered my Sport. After we agreed on the price I was asked to put down $500, which is fully refundable. I can't believe the wait is almost over as I pick it up this Friday.

Congrats on the decision!! Let us know what you decide.

• Like 2

I concur. I went the Costco route and special ordered my Sport. After we agreed on the price I was asked to put down $500, which is fully refundable. I can't believe the wait is almost over as I pick it up this Friday.

Congrats on the decision!! Let us know what you decide.

CaliBoss I like your garage pic! It must put a smile on your face every time you open it. :drool:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...