Navigation Sys Inaccuracy

So im sittin in my driveway and press "current position" on the touchscreen of my 08 Edge Navigation system, and It said that my current location was a different address(not just the number but street also)than my home address. So i press "calibrate position" and it lets me choose my Actuall home adress on the map as my current position ....However Now that the map shows that im on a differnt street (two blocks from my actual home)than i Am physically, the Geography of the turn by turn navigation makes no sense for where i am :banghead:

...Now i'm aware i should be able to find my way out of my own neighborhood but this is just the FIRST of many inaccuracies<sp?

It often shows me off roading(like in the woods next to some roads and wont start the guidance until it reads that im on a main road, but i physically was, so i calibrated and fixed that but after making a turn THAT location was now off due to the First calibration :censored: ....this happens often.

Anyone else having Nav Address or physical street geography Problems?

Edited by NJ08EDGE

So im sittin in my driveway and press "current position" on the touchscreen of my 08 Edge Navigation system, and It said that my current location was a different address(not just the number but street also)than my home address. So i press "calibrate position" and it lets me choose my Actuall home adress on the map as my current position ....However Now that the map shows that im on a differnt street (two blocks from my actual home)than i Am physically, the Geography of the turn by turn navigation makes no sense for where i am :banghead:

...Now i'm aware i should be able to find my way out of my own neighborhood but this is just the FIRST of many inaccuracies<sp?

It often shows me off roading(like in the woods next to some roads and wont start the guidance until it reads that im on a main road, but i physically was, so i calibrated and fixed that but after making a turn THAT location was now off due to the First calibration :censored: ....this happens often.

Anyone else having Nav Address or physical street geography Problems?

My '08 seems to be dead on.

I would certainly think this is not normal. I hate giving the "just take it to the dealer" response, but unless it is weather related - GPS signal getting blocked, this seems not normal.

Now and then, when just in the driveway, I get a NO GPS icon... but that goes away pretty quick and i just wondered if it was my roof-line blocking enough of the signals to triangulate me. But, I do not have it show weird data like yours does about being off road or 2 blocks over.

On a similar note about inaccuracies.... if the DVD nav system is not aware of a new street - is there any way to update it or send the maker an update to advise them there is a road now where there was not one on the DVD? I know my chicks TomTom can do this and advise their system online so that it/you can make adjustments. I know we cannot do it that way as ours is not internet connected nor removable, but I wonder if there is a method of feedback about new roads? There are a few new streets in my hood it does not know about so wants me to take a few out if the way roads I no longer need to as more direct routes are now available.

This is a normal occurrence. Most GPS needs direct "line of sight" to the satellites - rooflines will block it. Depending on your geographical location, there are many variables that affect accuracy and availability. These include buildings (short and tall), trees, mountains, elevation etc - you get the point.

As for accuracy, GPS (at this price point level) is not 100% accurate. Most at this price level will have up to 60ft inaccuracy - enough to make it look like you are at a different address. Now, IF it says you are off by 100ft all the time, you need to go to the dealer to get it fixed because the GPS unit is indeed faulty. 2 blocks is > 100ft so I would take it in.

Is it always this inaccurate?

These nav units use overlay logic using coordinates (Satellite information) to overlay onto the map - there will be errors - period - for this level of GPS. Now, that being said, the inaccuracy comes in part from Signal Strength (does the factory nav display strength?), rise/fall in altitude from what is real and what the GPS think, weather, programming efficiency and logic, etc.

Updating the DVD Nav - yes you can update it (at least on other DVD navs) - but you will have to wait for an update on the maps - you will have to buy a new DVD. Usually they run from $100 to $200 for a new set from the dealer usually - somebody with Ford experience can chime in with more accurate information.

See Previos Update DVD Thread

Solas

This is a normal occurrence. Most GPS needs direct "line of sight" to the satellites - rooflines will block it. Depending on your geographical location, there are many variables that affect accuracy and availability. These include buildings (short and tall), trees, mountains, elevation etc - you get the point.

As for accuracy, GPS (at this price point level) is not 100% accurate. Most at this price level will have up to 60ft inaccuracy - enough to make it look like you are at a different address. Now, IF it says you are off by 100ft all the time, you need to go to the dealer to get it fixed because the GPS unit is indeed faulty. 2 blocks is > 100ft so I would take it in.

These nav units use overlay logic using coordinates (Satellite information) to overlay onto the map - there will be errors - period - for this level of GPS. Now, that being said, the inaccuracy comes in part from Signal Strength (does the factory nav display strength?), rise/fall in altitude from what is real and what the GPS think, weather, programming efficiency and logic, etc.

Updating the DVD Nav - yes you can update it (at least on other DVD navs) - but you will have to wait for an update on the maps - you will have to buy a new DVD. Usually they run from $100 to $200 for a new set from the dealer usually - somebody with Ford experience can chime in with more accurate information.

Solas

yep, I knew we could update to another DVD - 6p being current - I meant is there a way to provide feedback- like TomTom does via the internets - to the maker so they are made aware of new roads so it gets put into the next upgrade? I doubt it given there is no web interaction like he TomTom has..

Solas

It isnt the accuracy of the house # i am concerned with, it is the mislabeled Map. In other words Street A is labeled D and D is labeled C and C is labeled A. It would be different if two streets side by side were switched but some mislabels are blocks apart and not simply switched one for one. Also depending on the roads, turning around is not easy.

For my house this isnt a big problem bc as i said ppl should be able to get out of their home neighborhood.But what of mislabeled Streets in an area you have never visited? What good is Navigation Guidance if it leads you to the Wrong place?

Edited by NJ08EDGE

yep, I knew we could update to another DVD - 6p being current - I meant is there a way to provide feedback- like TomTom does via the internets - to the maker so they are made aware of new roads so it gets put into the next upgrade? I doubt it given there is no web interaction like he TomTom has..

Ahh - I am off base today. If Ford uses NavTeq (which I think so), on the Edge, yes you can suggest updates NavTeq Map Reporter

It isnt the accuracy of the house # i am concerned with, it is the mislabeled Map. In other words Street A is labeled D and D is labeled A.

For my house this isnt a big problem bc as i said ppl should be able to get out of their home neighborhood.But what of mislabeled Streets in an area you have never visited? What is good Navigation Guidance if it leads you to the Wrong place?

Again, i was off today. There is nothing you or the dealer can do - for now - it is a map problem. This is not a normal occurrence either. As stated above, go to NavTeq Map Reporter to suggest an update.

This is a risk you take - your GPS is only as good as your Maps. I agree - if it was wrong, there is nothing to do but be lost. I have a Garmin (NavTeq maps) and it has been 100% accurate regarding Street Names (not so much on position - usually 20-30ft off). Now this is not to say all the streets exist on the Garmin, but that that do have been correct.

Solas