Ford OBD2 scantool

junehhan

I am reading forscan lite correctly? I can download app and via wifi "plug" into my car from my phone? It's $5 I want to make sure I read that write before purchasing it. Or do you still need some type of connection to the vehicle?

My 2016 has wifi so this sounds like that may be what it is

You need a connection to the OBD system, ie via the OBD port to hook up to the software. So you need to buy a Bluetooth or Wifi OBD adapter ($20 if you don't intend to leave it in all the time) and up for those. I use the OBDLink MX (bluetooth, avoid the WiFi), and have gotten 2+ years out of it so far, always plugged in.

My device is usually dedicated to OBD logging, so I don't really care whether I use BT or Wifi. If you use your primary device as your OBD logger, then you probably cannot use more than 1 Bluetooth connection at a time, and thus no other streaming activity. With wifi, you can set the IP address to static for the adapter, and still have cellular connection, from what I have heard.

https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/smart-phone/obdlink-mx-wi-fi-scan-tool/

What do you guys think about this one for $159 with the Ford program? I know it is pricey but this one appears to be able to do a lot more than most of the other ones. I have used the MSD Dash Hawk which did a lot of stuff, but it will not support any newer Fords.

I would get their bluetooth MX instead. The Wifi unit is, shall we say, "less than reliable".

https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/smart-phone/obdlink-mx-wi-fi-scan-tool/

What do you guys think about this one for $159 with the Ford program? I know it is pricey but this one appears to be able to do a lot more than most of the other ones. I have used the MSD Dash Hawk which did a lot of stuff, but it will not support any newer Fords.

I would have thought that the wifi would be more reliable than Bluetooth. BT has always been problematic for me with other devices although my Windows phone has been my first instance of not having trouble.

I was hoping you guys might have tried this unit as it appears to be the one that will do all I need. Personally, I prefer wires as I am old school.

So I got my device today, plugged it in and it works with the forscan lite app. But I'm not able to change anything literally can just look at all the options??

The only thing I can change is something called "precision decimal digits"? I changed it on a few things and it didn't do anything. First time using one of these really have no clue what I'm doing nor did I have a ton of time today unfortunately

Well I tried to mod my device to add MS-Can ability and it appears to be broken lol. When I flipped the switch I put in the car shut off and threw a wrench. I cleared the code in HS mode, but it kept doing it. So I need to find a new tool.

Are there any ms/hs can devices for under $50? If anyone could send a link to one. Everything I found is mod your own(which I tried) or in some country I'm not comfortable lurchasing from. Aka UK(customs would kill the deal) and some place I've never heard of that screams scam.

I definitely had more options via computer version.