Sync Gen 2 V3.8 SiriusXM Freeze Issue

I have a 2013 Limited and am running Sync with Travel Link (sic?), SiriusXM, and Nav. Last week, I was driving around listening to SiriusXM and the console screen was on SiriusXM. Suddenly, I had no sound coming out of the system and the screen was frozen. I couldn't select another channel, couldn't go to Nav, or another mode. I could turn the entertainment power off, but nothing else. I got to my destination and verified the condition. I turned the car off for 15 minutes while I ran into a store. When I returned and started the vehicle, nothing had changed. Still frozen. I took a deep breath, removed the nav SD card and a thumb drive and master reset the system. Still no change. Called my dealer who unfortunately couldn't get me in on the day. I was concerned because the next morning I was taking off for what would amount to 3 days of driving and maybe without a system. I did make an appt with the dealer to have the system checked out when I return. Then, I made another stop and when I returned to the car, I was pleased to see that "all was well." The system was now operating just like it was supposed to. I had regained all the functionality. Of course, I still had to reprogram all the SiriusXM presets and the nav favorites and previous destinations were blank, but more importantly, all was well. I did the driving as planned, about 1700 miles and there were no incidents of any kind. I stopped at the Ford dealer who I made the appt with (Interstate Ford in Dacono, CO, all good guys by the way) and suggested that the appt would be a waste of time given the current state of the system. They reluctantly agreed and we decided to "watch" it to see if the problem returned.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? I don't think it's heat related since the problem didn't reappear during the drive. What else could cause the software (?) to lock up like that? Could it be SiriusXM related? Got me stumped. I can't think of anything to point to and therefore, I'm concerned that it will be one of those comes and goes things?

Thanks akirby and Shaay. Needless to say I was pleased, sort of, when I started the car a third time and the issue cleared. It was about 20 minutes from onset to turning off the first time. And when I restarted the car, the system was still locked up in the entertainment module. Occasional quirks happen but I don't want to get to the point to where I seem to be waiting for a shoe to drop.

Hi Shaay, yes, all is mostly well, even my Vikings are winning. Hope the same goes for you! I said before in my last Sync episode and will reiterate again, I'm certainly grateful for the cooperative nature of the dealership on which I rely. Interstate Ford (especially Jeff and Adrian in the service bay) is a smallish dealer in Dacono, CO and I do believe that some work harder than others for our business. Good guys. Thanks! TL

Edited by tloewenberg

• 1 month later...