Warranty - Void

killermaze

Hey Guyz,

In august I will be moving forward with my carPC design project for the ford edge. My only concern is the warranty. Now I seen some folks install after market navigation system, radio's ,amps and even remote start. But no questions are raised when it comes to warranty. Now my question is... Will I void my warranty if I move forward with my project. Listed below is just a simple diagram on what I plan to do as far as wiring. But the radio 6 disc changer will be removed and replaced with a 7" touchscreen or 8"in which ever fits. The computer was orginally plan to go in the glovebox (Only if there's no warranty problems) being that its so big. If I comes across that it can't be done then the pc will be installed under the seat. But any information to this project would be helpful.

Thank you

post-2893-1204698020_thumb.jpg

This is in relation to MAZDA where many people (not me) put carputers in their 3's (because the glovebox is twice the size of the Edges). When taken to the dealer, no warranty claims were denied against electrical. Some had to fight when it came to audio warranty, but eventually won.

My ASSUMPTION would be the same for Ford. However, Ford could easily deny audio claims, even maybe electical (I would be surprised). All else is still covered under warranty. It sounds like you are redoing all the audio so I would not be worried - maybe check with your dealer first.

Notes - from my experience, a carputer will not fit in the glove box - unless you go bare boards - which is a lot of the time not advised - but is done. Center console yes - is should all fit there - I would think - maybe.

Also, do you have a power passenger seat - I have not specifically looked under it, but I know there are wires and motors visible - could take up more space than you want.

At first, glance at the topic, I had hopes you were going to use the SYNC processor as the computer - :reading:

Good Luck and show us pics when complete.

Solas

Ford specifically states that conditions caused by vehicle modifications are not covered by the Ford warranty. This has far reaching posibilities. Modify wiring and fry a computer, short wiring and start a fire, overpower and blow out speakers, overload circuits, damage trim, wires caught in controls, etc. and it will likely be your responsibility.

Can a Service advisor overlook a modification and submit a claim for fixing a mess up? Sometimes. But when Ford calls for the causal part for inspection, the dealer may be charged back for the claim.

So, make your modifications under the assumption that you will be responsible for any damage it causes down the line, or over time. :banghead:

Hi killermaze. :D Well, as Solas and Grey (I was typing my post when Grey answered) stated, this is one of those maybe yes, maybe no, it's up to the Dealer and Ford calls.

Please keep in mind that I am not telling you not to modify your car, only providing information.

First of all, it will not "Void your Warranty" completely. However, you could run into problems with Warranty coverage on any electrical system problems you would have. Since you would be modifying your electrical system, problems concerning everything from the alternator and battery, to the fuse box and wiring system could be denied coverage by the Dealer and/or Ford.

Keep in mind that there is no guarantee either way. You may be lucky and any possible claims will be honored, or they may be denied, it is nearly impossible to predict. The call will be made by your Dealer first, and ultimately by Ford.

Be careful of advice given by those who may cite the "Magnuson-Moss Act" as evidence that the Manufacture has to "prove beyond doubt" that a modification caused the problem. Simply put, that is not true. The "Magnuson-Moss Act" does not give us as much protection as some people believe. The Manufacturer only need show that a modification may have had a corollary effect regarding a failure. They do not have to "prove" it. Simply put, if we modify what they built/we bought, we take the chance of losing Warranty coverage for whatever was modified.

In addition, remember that the Dealer/Ford does not have to prove anything. All they have to do is deny coverage. Then you have no choice but to pay for the repair out of your pocket and take them to arbitration/court. They have teams of lawyers paid to handle their legal matters, we don't.

Again, there are no guarantees either way. If you should do the modification and have an electrical problem later, you may be covered no questions asked, or you could be denied coverage. It all depends on the situation.

Sorry for the long answer, but I feel it's better to give all the information now than have you possibly surprised later.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I have an addendum question: If you replace the head unit - you are modifying the electrical system. Say you put in aftermaket Nav where nav did not exist. You have the slide out screen with all the goodies etc...

If your alternator dies prematurely (there really is no large % load added because it is a replacement with NO amps added), Ford can deny you warranty replacement because you replaced the head unit. Now that seems a wee bit extreme. What if I could prove the load/drain was not a significant difference and was within spec (if I could get it)? Maybe my Mazda dealer is good in this aspect???

Now, if I added 3 amps with out correctly changing the wiring, then I would side with Ford because I would be an idiot to add 3 AMPs without beefing up the electrical system.

Solas

I have an addendum question: If you replace the head unit - you are modifying the electrical system. Say you put in aftermaket Nav where nav did not exist. You have the slide out screen with all the goodies etc...

If your alternator dies prematurely (there really is no large % load added because it is a replacement with NO amps added), Ford can deny you warranty replacement because you replaced the head unit. Now that seems a wee bit extreme. What if I could prove the load/drain was not a significant difference and was within spec (if I could get it)? Maybe my Mazda dealer is good in this aspect???

Now, if I added 3 amps with out correctly changing the wiring, then I would side with Ford because I would be an idiot to add 3 AMPs without beefing up the electrical system.

Solas

Hi Solas old pal. :D Yes, that is why every situation must be examined on a case by case basis. You are now asking a much more specific type of question. Of course, if the wiring is not cut/spliced into and the load is not changed, it would be harder to deny a warranty claim for something like a failed alternator. :yup: But killermaze is discussing more involved modifications than that.

There is no "one size fits all answer". That is why I try to be very careful with my wording. In most cases, "There is no guarantee either way".

While a Dealer/Ford may honor claims in one case, they may deny them in another.

I guess it all comes down to this: Unless you have it in writing from your Dealer that a modification is okay, you need to assume there is a chance you could be denied coverage on any problem related to the system you modified. Even then, the Dealer is on the hook, not Ford.

As Grey stated, proceed "under the assumption that you will be responsible for any damage it causes down the line, or over time."

I feel it is better to tell people to proceed under that assumption than tell them something is okay and have them get the shaft later. Just my philosophy. That is why I never tell someone not to do what they want, only let them know the pros and cons.

Actually, usually we already know the pros, that's why we want to perform a modification. Unfortunately, we sometimes don't take the cons into account, until it is too late. :sos:

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

A professional install will most likely avoid any issues that the carputer will be the cause of a problem.

However, that being said, Ford can still deny warranty electrical work due to the fact that you have it in there.

Also, what will you be using the carputer for - do you have Sync?

Solas

A professional install will most likely avoid any issues that the carputer will be the cause of a problem.

However, that being said, Ford can still deny warranty electrical work due to the fact that you have it in there.

Also, what will you be using the carputer for - do you have Sync?

Solas

Hey solas,

I currently don't have sync. I guess if it was possible that would probably be a software that would be def.ly installed on the pc. The reason for the project is that always wanted to do it. After my ford Taurus died on me, It cancel all the plans I had to start the project in August. But main reason for the project is for entertainment based. I have no agenda on installing a nav system or killer radio system with bunch of amps. But solas if you know anything about mircosoft sync being software based and working on windows xp or vista, or any operating system. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you