Windshield Reflecto Shade Reccomendation

Is this what you are looking for?

These are made for your vehicle. I have one for my Mazda (and had one for the Cavalier we replaced). They work very well and keep it cool. They roll up as well. Will be buying one for the Edge too when it gets Spring time.

Edge Heatshield

There are others too that are solid. My brother has this one for his MR2 and likes it as well - can remember the name.

Solas

Is this what you are looking for?

These are made for your vehicle. I have one for my Mazda (and had one for the Cavalier we replaced). They work very well and keep it cool. They roll up as well. Will be buying one for the Edge too when it gets Spring time.

Edge Heatshield

There are others too that are solid. My brother has this one for his MR2 and likes it as well - can remember the name.

Solas

Wow, that looks pretty cool. Usually they are "One Size Fits All" and seem to not look very nice. This one is an exact fit and looks nice. I would like to know if anyone has purchased this and does it work as well as it looks?

Clayton

• Like 1

Wow, that looks pretty cool. Usually they are "One Size Fits All" and seem to not look very nice. This one is an exact fit and looks nice. I would like to know if anyone has purchased this and does it work as well as it looks?

Clayton

I have the Heatshield Model 183 for my 2008 Edge mentioned above (made by Canvas Works in Sunnyvale, CA) , and can say that yes, it fits the windshield exactly like shown. Like it was custom fit & trimmed with an exacto knife!

Features worth mentioning:

1. Fits the shape of the windshield perfectly. Exact custom shape and notch for the rearview mirror allows the shade to fit closely against the glass, without overlapping the headliner or A pillars. Like a second windshield against the inside of the glass one.

2. No gaps that hang open around the edges. Seals it completely, unlike those accordian style or two-piece types.

3. High quality space age material with heavy duty hemmed edge (no pun intended) all around and quilt-stitched across entire surface.

4. Sturdy and rigid, but lightweight (a few ounces!) and flexible enough to be easy to put in place/remove in mere seconds. Stays in place perfectly with just the visors folded down on it, even when hot (when the 'others' tend to fail and you find them laying across your dash..).

5. Rolls up into itself and secures with velcro strip that is permanently sewn on, for stowing.

Mine was just shy of $45.00 total to my door via UPS, came in 4 days. This may seem a bit expensive compared to a common "1 size fits all" shade that you could pick up in your local Auto Parts or Wal-Mart type store, but side-by-side... there really is no comparison.

Highly recommended.

I have the Heatshield Model 183 for my 2008 Edge mentioned above (made by Canvas Works in Sunnyvale, CA) , and can say that yes, it fits the windshield exactly like shown. Like it was custom fit & trimmed with an exacto knife!

Features worth mentioning:

1. Fits the shape of the windshield perfectly. Exact custom shape and notch for the rearview mirror allows the shade to fit closely against the glass, without overlapping the headliner or A pillars. Like a second windshield against the inside of the glass one.

2. No gaps that hang open around the edges. Seals it completely, unlike those accordian style or two-piece types.

3. High quality space age material with heavy duty hemmed edge (no pun intended) all around and quilt-stitched across entire surface.

4. Sturdy and rigid, but lightweight (a few ounces!) and flexible enough to be easy to put in place/remove in mere seconds. Stays in place perfectly with just the visors folded down on it, even when hot (when the 'others' tend to fail and you find them laying across your dash..).

5. Rolls up into itself and secures with velcro strip that is permanently sewn on, for stowing.

Mine was just shy of $45.00 total to my door via UPS, came in 4 days. This may seem a bit expensive compared to a common "1 size fits all" shade that you could pick up in your local Auto Parts or Wal-Mart type store, but side-by-side... there really is no comparison.

Highly recommended.

Gman,

Thanks for the mini review, sounds great. Can you tell me the dimensions of the shield when all folded up and velcroed? Fit in the seat back pocked? Under seat? Where do you store yours when not in use?

Clayton

Gman,

Thanks for the mini review, sounds great. Can you tell me the dimensions of the shield when all folded up and velcroed? Fit in the seat back pocked? Under seat? Where do you store yours when not in use?

Clayton

First, be advised that the shade being discussed does not fold in any way.. it rolls only. OK... now..

I haven't actually ever measured it, but do this if you want more precision regarding size before you purchase... first take the dimensions of your windshield (height" x width"), and that will give you the size of the shade when fully opened. Now, it rolls up from side to side from driver 'A' pillar to passenger 'A' pillar, with the (shiny) side facing front becoming the outside of the roll. The height" measurement you got above tells you the length of the rolled up shade.. and, the diameter of the roll can vary some depending on how tight you roll it. I don't try to force mine into the smallest roll possible, but rather just reproduce the size of the roll it was in when shipped from the factory. That all said, to take a stab at the size when rolled up, I would estimate about 30" long and in a 6" diameter roll. During the winter months I keep the shade stored in the garage as it really isn't needed in my part of the world then. When using it daily in summer, I keep it on the floor in the back seat within easy reach. I rarely have passengers riding back there, but when I do and need that foot space, they simply move the roll over the back seats and into the cargo area before settling in.

Another related note here... I find that the shade is easily put in place while I'm sitting in the drivers seat. I reach back and grab it, undo the velcro strap, unroll the shade flat across the dash toward the passenger side, and then simply lift it up toward the glass, bending the corners of the rearview mirror slot around the mirror mount post and tucking the shade into place where needed. Two visor flips and I'm out... maybe 15 seconds. Removing is just the reverse order.

Finally, on a somewhat humorous note.. besides the shade itself, my favorite part of buying this product was reading the following caution statement printed on the wrapper when I first opened it:

"CAUTION - Use ONLY in a parked vehicle!"

I thought to myself that they must have needed to add that as liability protection against stupidity (hmm.. did someone REALLY try to drive their car with the shade installed..?!?!? :confused: ), but then thought that maybe it refers to using these shades inside a motor home type vehicle (other than on the windshield) since they make these shades for many vehicles, including aircraft, and will make custom sizes to order for any use.

Anyway.. hope that helps... good luck!

:victory:

Edited by GMan's_2008_Edge

• 1 month later...

Hi all. :D I realize this post is about a month a half old now, but figure the information may help someone. While researching a while back to purchase a Windshield Heat Shield for my MKZ, I came across this site: Car Cover-Depot.com LINK: Windshield Heat Shields.

It is one of the recommended online Retail sites to purchase products made by Covercraft, a maker of high quality car products (Car Covers, Heat Shields, etc).

Their prices are good, especially when you take the fact that they do not charge shipping into consideration. I compared pricing at all of the Covercraft recommended retailers before purchasing.

Covercraft makes both a Fold-up "Heat Shield" model (more heavy duty), and a roll up "Sun Shield" model.

I purchased the fold up "Heat Shield" model. It is a custom fit. Not even an extra inch between the Heat Shield and the sides or top of the windshield. I also purchased the custom storage bag for it.

I highly recommend the Heat Shield and CarCover-Depot.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi all. :D I realize this post is about a month a half old now, but figure the information may help someone. While researching a while back to purchase a Windshield Heat Shield for my MKZ, I came across this site: Car Cover-Depot.com LINK: Windshield Heat Shields.

It is one of the recommended online Retail sites to purchase products made by Covercraft, a maker of high quality car products (Car Covers, Heat Shields, etc).

Their prices are good, especially when you take the fact that they do not charge shipping into consideration. I compared pricing at all of the Covercraft recommended retailers before purchasing.

Covercraft makes both a Fold-up "Heat Shield" model (more heavy duty), and a roll up "Sun Shield" model.

I purchased the fold up "Heat Shield" model. It is a custom fit. Not even an extra inch between the Heat Shield and the sides or top of the windshield. I also purchased the custom storage bag for it.

I highly recommend the Heat Shield and CarCover-Depot.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Any chance on getting some pictures of your "Heat Shield"? Like to see outside looking in and also from the inside.

Clayton

The type you see at Target or Walmart, $10 ~ $20, that twist up for storage & pop-out for use...if you bought one that fits well, share your source & important data....thx

I bought two at Pep Boys the other day. THe first one was one of those accordian-style unfolding jobs. It was silver and super thick/insulated. I bought the "jumbo" sized. almost fit - problem was, it reached almost the entire height of the window but was waaay too wide. so by having to fold the extra flap down to fit, it left about a 4" gap on each side! not acceptible :redcard: there were two others that were the round/unfolding kind. one is a big disc with some extra fabric around it, but I didn't like the looks of it. The next was another round unfolding (twisting) one. turns out it's actually 2 separate discs. it's assymetrical so you can adjust it for a wider or taller windshield. I adjusted them the tall way. they overlap slightly towards the center but there is a small V at the bottom of the windshield near the automatic headlight sensor and maybe 1/2" gap on the sides near the pillars. if you're going to be parked in bright sunlight all the time might be a problem.

otherwise, since it covers about 90% of the windshield and cost only around $12 that's pretty good. I might try some more if I find any.

I suppose if I want to spend $40 + shipping (4x as much) I can cover 100% of the windshield at heatshieldstore.com :wacko: