I have a topic on comparison of edge vs cx-7 in cx-7 forum...

Thread link : http://www.mcx7.com/showthread.php?t=2786

I'd like to ask the same question here:

It's narrowed down to this two crossover, they're within my budget, powerful, positive feedbacks, handsome looking, enough room for family of four, comfort (cx-7 maybe not) and quiet (cx-7 maybe not).

I don't know how much do I care of fun to drive, but I'm driving mazda3 now, I haven't test driven either one, just from my research from internet, the ford edge is little better than cx-7 because:

- more comfort

- more quiet

- V6

- Sync

but cx-7 get its' own score at

- fun to drive (how fun?)

- cheaper

- bigger glove box (and has a light)

- bigger driver's space

But the fact is, I saw much more CX-7 than ford edge on the road. Did I miss something or make something wrong?

I will test drive both within this month, but before that I need more advice. Thanks.

=========================================================

Some feedback from cx-7 forum:

Styling: While I like the looks of the Edge - the CX-7 is sexy - a term that can rarely be used when describing any type of utility vehicle.

Interior: Not just the layout and design which is somewhat subjective, but the superior quality of materials in the CX win hands down. I've owned Audi's for the past 6 years, and I'm absolutely impressed with the feel, and aesthetics of CX-7's interior. It exudes quality that I didn't expect from a mid $20k Japanese vehicle. To put it bluntly the Ford felt cheap, and I think they've been using the same steering wheel controls since the late 80's perhaps? It gave the interior a very dated feel.

The Drive: While admittedly the Ford was a little quieter, which I think was as much the Continental tires on the Ford vs. the Goodyear's on my CX, the Edge just felt too "floaty" for lack of a better word. Maybe because I'm coming out of German sport sedans, but I like the firm feel of the CX. Obviously the firm suspension lends itself to a better handling vehicle. Even if you aren't into tearing up the twisties, the better handling car will always be safer in an emergency maneuver situation. I'll take the safer car over a softer ride any day..

The Brakes:

This one gets it's own section because the brake pedal was sooo soft in the Edge it was a little scary. Maybe I would've gotten used to the softer feel of the pedal, but I didn't want to have to. The first time I hit the brakes I thought my foot was going to go all the way to the floor. It might not have been as bad as it seemed - it just really caught me off guard.

Price: Got a nicely equipped Touring w/ features that are important to me: Leather, Homelink, Sirius, Fog lights, for way less than a comparably equipped Edge. I don't think I saw an Edge with leather for under $30K..

Last thing: The Edge had no dead pedal for my left foot. I just couldn't get comfortable while driving, and when I sat in the CX-7 it just felt "right". I really did struggle with my decision at the beginning, but the more I learned about the CX-7 - the quality of the vehicle really started to outshine the Edge. Really the only way to know which one is right for you is to spend a little time in each. I'm sure some folks prefer the ride and feel of the Edge, but I personally feel the CX-7 is superior all the way around....

Aesthetics aside, I did some research on forums just like this one on the Edge. The main complaints were engine, transmission, air conditioning, and MPG. I do not mean a few complaints but many threads about these problem areas. Ford has not done a good job bringing out new problem-free product in a very long time. I do like Ford's and have probably owned more Ford's than all others I have owned counted together. But I could not ignore what people were saying. When I came to this forum and the other popular one for Mazda's and looked specifically for complaints on the CX-7, I just could not find anything substantial. Let me tell you that I looked! I WAS, and I mean WAS a dyed-in-the-wool American car guy who at age 51 had never owned a Japanese car and just did not want to. If anybody looked for faults on the CX-7 or Mazda, it was ME! We have had our CX-7 for exactly one month, 4K miles including a round trip to northern Illinois from NC and this is possibly one of the nicest vehicles I have ever owned. I'm not trying to talk anybody into one car or out of another, I would just recommend that you do some serious searching out there and find out what others have to say about any vehicle you are interested in. Good luck!

What's your opinion on Edge vs CX-7?

I also looked at both. My second toy is a 2007 RDX Turbo Tech My little personal JET. The only negative I hadwas permium gas for the turbo, and the automatic tail I got on the edge. The Edge is more high end and the CX7 is more sport. I love my Edge & I love my other Toy.

I also looked at both. My second toy is a 2007 RDX Turbo Tech My little personal JET. The only negative I hadwas permium gas for the turbo, and the automatic tail I got on the edge. The Edge is more high end and the CX7 is more sport. I love my Edge & I love my other Toy.

So you have Edge+RDX combination instead of one CX-7

• 1 month later...
Thread link : http://www.mcx7.com/showthread.php?t=2786

I'd like to ask the same question here:

It's narrowed down to this two crossover, they're within my budget, powerful, positive feedbacks, handsome looking, enough room for family of four, comfort (cx-7 maybe not) and quiet (cx-7 maybe not).

I don't know how much do I care of fun to drive, but I'm driving mazda3 now, I haven't test driven either one, just from my research from internet, the ford edge is little better than cx-7 because:

- more comfort

- more quiet

- V6

- Sync

but cx-7 get its' own score at

- fun to drive (how fun?)

- cheaper

- bigger glove box (and has a light)

- bigger driver's space

But the fact is, I saw much more CX-7 than ford edge on the road. Did I miss something or make something wrong?

I will test drive both within this month, but before that I need more advice. Thanks.

=========================================================

Some feedback from cx-7 forum:

What's your opinion on Edge vs CX-7?

I followed that link to the Cx7 forum, and went to the "Issues & Problems" Threads, and there seems to be (unscientifically verified) a lot more and a lot more varied issues with the CX7 than the Edge. We seem to have fewer and fewer variety of issue with the Edge. At least as reported on the two respective sites. Has there been any survey data put out yet as to the reliability of the 07 CUV's yet?

The CX-7 had a lot of minor issues with early builds. the EDGE isn't without it's build issues like poor paint and bad AWD PTO units, clunking transmissions, leaking engines.... etc.

Most of the problems with the CX-7 are fixable if your dealer knows what they're doing. If you we're to ask most members on the board about the problems experianced they would be minor and happy about their purchase, all late builds and 2008's have almost no problems. Even the early builds we're just issues like wide spread gas cap problems and VSSV valve issues relating to CEL's, nothing effected drivability.

--also, at a glance, the issues aren't even issues... just high expectations and misunderstandings

Edited by CreamEDGE.

My Edge is at the dealer for maintenance.

I have a rental -- a CX-7. It's 4 miles from the dealer to my office. In four miles:

It's smaller, driver's seat is day and night less comfortable and I do not like the control panel one little bit. The speedometer is going to get me into trouble if I don't watch it like a hawk.

It's nimble, easier to park and the suspension is tight. Brakes are the same.

:reading:

As far as the brakes go, not the same at all. I can activate ABS so easily in our EDGE and in the CX-7 I can stop on the dime and not hear a single thing. They're more touchy as well, I notice this whenever I jump out of one and into the other.

Seats are person specific, the CX-7's seats have more bolstering, and the EDGE's seats are more flat for easier driving and wider frames.

The sport interior is cheap looking. GT is a night and day difference.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

• 2 years later...

I know it's a little late for this, but the CX-7 is Junk. i just traded mine in (2yrs old) and what a lemon. It was in the shop so often that it was a running joke at my work. I loved the handling and the zoom zoom but it just wasn't worth the consistant issues. Some of the issues we intermitant that they(dealer) wouldn't even do anything, and that was at 3 different dealers. Anyways I traded it in yesterday for a 2010 Edge, and I love how much more comfortable the Edge is. I bought the limited and WOW is all I can say, I love all the toy's that most imports miss the mark on, mind you, the imports tend to have better fit and finnish. The brakes on the Edge so far are a the biggest let down compaired to the CX-7 but i can adjust, maybe a replacement of the pads and or rotors would be a big benifit? anyone try it yet? any info would be appreciated. Mileage tends to be close but at least I don't need premium (due to the turbo) anymore. Turbo lag was bad, especially if you decide to go for that "yellow" light.

Overall I did like the styling and the zoom zoom of the CX-7 and probably would have kept it if it were not for all the issues.

Only had the Edge for a day now so we will see how it goes, but it does feel like more of an upgrade compaired to the CX-7. (oooh and the leather heated seats.....where have u been all my life? I love them)

Just my 2c

Zippyslow