how many rpm when you cut corner then speed up?

douyi

I test-drove one tonight, at that time engine was about 4000-4500 rpm and my acceleration isn't that good, my mazda 3 has 2.0 engine, but much lower rpm and better acceleration.

And in highway, it's not quiet at all, I can hear the tire noise and engine noise is a little bit too high, but steering is solid, but doesn't like a performance car.

Traction control works.

I just too concern about the engine rpm, it's too high for me, maybe that's way the millage isn't good.

What about your edge?

mine's kinda a slo-poke. i'm used to V8 power, or lighter cars. I did run up to around 6-6.5K and it seems to have it's most power in the upper RPM's. figure that's bad for MPG though. i try and keep the rpm's around the 2K mark. i would like to take a nice big corner and hold it to the floor just to see how the AWD works. still love it though. (i really would like to change the springs out)

Well, the EDGE doesn't offer what you're looking for(for now), try the CX-7, it sounds like it would fulfill your needs as far as sportyness goes and low down torque. The quietness however isn't any better.

My EDGE feels strong all throughout the power band, but that could be because of the fact that I like how quickly the tranny downshifts, which in return makes it feel zippier.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

I test-drove one tonight, at that time engine was about 4000-4500 rpm and my acceleration isn't that good, my mazda 3 has 2.0 engine, but much lower rpm and better acceleration.

And in highway, it's not quiet at all, I can hear the tire noise and engine noise is a little bit too high, but steering is solid, but doesn't like a performance car.

Traction control works.

I just too concern about the engine rpm, it's too high for me, maybe that's way the millage isn't good.

What about your edge?

I too have a Mazda 3 (2005 SP23). The Edge DOES feel "a bit sluggish" because it is MUCH bigger and heavier so you really can not compare performance as they are two entirely different categories. That being said, I still compare the 3 to the Edge. Mainly our RPMs stay under 3500 and it has good pick up and go. We do not race and do not take corners at high speed (I leave that to my 3). I have red lined it a few times and it does go with enthusiasm. Cornering is not best - this is a SUV (sorry CUV). It is better than others in its class though - IMO. Braking is where I worry - I think SS brake lines and better pads and or rotors are in my future. My old Contour had this same problem and it was fixed by replacing those.

Road noise - ours is MUCH MUCH quieter than my 3. What tires were on it? - this aspect matters a lot. We have the 18" with Michelins (forget model). We have a stretch of road that no matter what car, what tires, it sounds like you are in a jet taking off - literally. The edge does a good job subduing this noise.

Now, there is a large MPG thread here as well, so check that out. Ours is getting 20MPG combined 60%Highway and 40%City with my wife driving (I get more because I drive to improve MPG - ~22MPG combined).

Cheers

Solas

Traction control works.

What about your edge?

Hi douyi. :D In addition to what the other members have already mentioned, you need to keep in mind that the Edge's transmission has an "Adaptive" (learning) feature.

For a period of time, the transmission in a new Edge will "learn" the driving habits of the driver (to a certain extent).

If this was a brand new Edge, with very few test drive miles on it, it is likely still in "Adaptive Mode".

Of course,, there is also the chance that the Edge you drove had some sort of transmission problem, so it would not be a bad idea to test drive another to compare.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

After I test drove CX-7, this impression becomes more clear. The cx-7 only goes to about 3000rpm. But then I checked with both specs, for sure Mazda has an amazing engine, the max torque output is generated at 2500rpm, it doesn't need to go higher for max torque while accelerating, especially start from 0, it's running at low rpm and needs more torque.

On the contrary, the new VVT3.5(used in Edge, MKX and 07 CX-9) or VVT3.7(08 CX-9) has different figure, it needs much more rpm to reach max torque, I guess that's part of reason why Mazda want to use this turbo inline 4 instead of v6 (of course the turbo 4 is lighter).

I had a Mazda MX-6 forever. I loved it from the first mile to the last. The engine will run forever, but the transmission won't take it as far as it wishes to travel.

I traded it in on an Explorer that I drove for 228,000 miles and loved it from the first mile till the last.

Buy what you love. Let your heart rule you. You're going to spend a lot of time in your car. You're going to drive a lot of miles between now and replacement.

If you love the 7, buy it. If you love the Edge, buy that. If you don't love either of them, keep driving until you find what you love.