Speaker Upgrade: Several Options (4)... any Comments???

Folks ... am looking at upgrading the 4 speakers in my 2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited with better ones. The sound is not bad ... but I know it can be better. I went to Crutchfield Canada website and entered my vehicle and they came back with a number of speakers available. I do not want the componant system ... just want the direct replacement w/o the extra hassle. It has come down to the following speakers and I would like to get some feed back as to what would be better.

My music tastes are more into non-supper base (don't need to hear me coming down the road 1/2 before I arrive). I like techno, House, NiN, The Cult, some jazz, some clasical, Rock, new rock, but I do not need the BOOOOOOOOOOMING bass ... there is an 8" woofer in the rear. Need a "full" sound with more emphasis on mid to high end.

The speakers listed are as follows complete with Canadian Prices:

Infinity Reference 6822cf, 2 ohms @ &119.99 a pair

Kenwood KFC-C6880ie, 4 ohms @ $149.99 pair

JL Audio TR570-cxi, 4 ohms @ 159.99 a pair

Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, 2 ohm @ $179.99 a pair (these will fit the rear; someone already fit them with no issues!!). :shift:

These will be replacing the front and rear speakers and I will be leaving the Sub alone in the rear. The NAV, SYNC head unit's output is 190 watts.

Thanks for your input!

Jaak

There are quite a number of options available for you.

For instance, take a look at these:

Boston Acoustics SX85: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_pro...;product_id=342

Kicker DS Series

Eclipse SP 5710: http://www.eclipse-web.com/point/sp5710_5010.html

Morel Tempo: http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mob_poin...kers_tempo.html

Diamond D373i: http://www.diamondaudio.com/content/view/119/132/

DLS 257: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DLS-257-CLASSIC-5X...8QQcmdZViewItem Buy it now for $49.95

I strongly urge each of you to consider an instrument-panel ('IP')-mounted tweeter as part of your speaker upgrades. I chose the Infinity Reference 1"-dome tweeters... http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...&i=1081021T

...and painted the silver-colored mounting cups brown before I installed them in my Edge.

Tweeterinstalled_700w.jpg

Probably I'll have a dashmat made to reduce/eliminate the reflections from the IP into the windshield, and I'll have it cut around the tweeters which will further reduce their visibility.

I really didn't like the sound of all the music coming from around my knees, and these tweeters started to put the orchestra in front of me. I use 'started' in that sentence because I then replaced the original crossovers (2.5KHz, 2nd order) with some high-quality capacitors to reduce the crossover frequency so that more of the midrange portion of frequencies came from the tweeters, in front of me. The hi-pass filterpoint is now an incredibly low 1.2KHz, something I never thought I'd achieve, but the tweeters still sound fine and never sound overloaded. Lowering the tweeters' crossover frequency is NOT something the headbangers or those who turn the treble control all or most of the way up ought to do, as those folk likely will blow or damage them by overdriving them with midrange frequencies, but it works very well for the rest of us.

I also strongly recommend the Sonic Craft 6-1/2" bass/MR driver (with low-pass coil) for front-door use, but doing so requires some cutting of the plastic inner door panel.

Leftclose_800w.jpg

This is an excellent-sounding driver; I suspect it's quite better sounding than about anything offered by auto-sound manufacturers. I use them in my home system's main L/R speakers...

Inprocess6Lch700h.jpg

...and here they sound REALLY fine driven by 'flea-powered' Single-Ended-Triode amps. One has to buy a carton of 24 of these to get them from Sonic Craft, but I have some extras (at delivered cost of only $11 each) if anyone's interested. E-mail me directly at jeffreybehr@cox.net for details, etc.

I was not into alterations ... yours may help others.

My issue is with draw on the amplifier.

One problem is that some amplifiers can't tolerate being running into a lower impedance load that was specified in the manual. By running the amplifier into too low of an impedance, you can easily overheat and destroy its power output circitry. You must determine from the manufacturers specifications what the lowest impedance is that the amplifier will safely operate into. Some amplifiers are rated with a stability as low as 0.5 ohms, but you really shouldn't use a speaker system that pushes your amplifier to its limits because you might take years off of its life.

I also know of a special mounting plate/bracket that can be placed over the stock speaker hole and components can be installed. That is the route I am taking for my front stage.

you know... those adaptors might already be a part of the speakers you already have. look at these photos of the stock speakers I took out. There is what appears to be a plate that is attached to the front of the speakers by star nuts. I did not take it off, but thought it odd there was that piece as I was not sure why it was additionally there, but it looks alot like the link akirby gave and the item you mention.

post-2453-1206453576_thumb.jpg

I have ordered the following from Crutchfield Canada:

Infinity Kappa 682.7cf for the front doors and Infinity reference 6822cf for the rear doors.

Had to use 6822cf in the rears as the Kappa's tweeter touches the inside door panel with no space. If they get hit the speaker will be damaged.

Had to use 6822cf in the rears as the Kappa's tweeter touches the inside door panel with no space. If they get hit the speaker will be damaged.

for the record... this is absolutely, 100% not true.

I have Infinity Kappa 682.7cf in both front and rear - as you know as you read the install report of mine with photos - and they are not even close to touching the grill/door panel. not even close. not sure where you got that information from? but there is a solid 1/2 inch from Tweeter to the door panel grill.