Roof Rail lovers

I'm not anti-BAMR but I couldn't justify the expense and would have rather had the flexibility of the rails. anybody else go OUT OF their way (like me) to have these? I also prefer the appearance, it's a wee bit sportier and less minivan like. but I want to know if I'm the only one who thinks so. FWIW my Edge SEL looks almost exactly like the red one in the FordEdgeForum graphic, but with the rails and painted aluminum 18"s.

so where are you guys?? roof rail lovers unite! :happy feet:

I am totally with you on this one Bri719! The Edge does look better with the roof rails. I ordered my Edge Feb. 11th and it came in last week. (with the roof rails of course). Yesterday, my roof racks came in which I am going to put on only when I carry a kayak. I have not seen what it looks like yet with the roof racks on, but it's only going to be the roof rails only for now. So there you go my friend, roof rail lovers unite! lol I also got the premium 18" painted wheels too. Looks great. Going out to wash my baby for the first time. :baby:

Dave

P.S. I have the Light Ice Blue color.

Edited by GettnEdgey

congrats Dave! I've yet to see a roof RACK on an Edge, so I have to hand it to you for being the first one I've talked to. but I like the possibility of adding a rack if desired. my old vehicle, a Ranger had that full size bed which was really great, but I no longer need 99% of the time. but if I decide to transport my mtn bike around, that's one way to go. much better than dirtying up the cargo area and laying it down especially in inclement weather (have to check if there is clearance to stand it up w/ front wheel removed but then I'd need an internal bar w/ front wheel lock). snowboard racks are also a possibility I am considering for the same reason. but for now, no rack!

btw, what brand rack did you get? let me know how it works out.

in the meantime enjoy your light ice blue :) probably matches some glaciers up there in Canada... kinda like camo. lol

congrats Dave! I've yet to see a roof RACK on an Edge, so I have to hand it to you for being the first one I've talked to. but I like the possibility of adding a rack if desired. my old vehicle, a Ranger had that full size bed which was really great, but I no longer need 99% of the time. but if I decide to transport my mtn bike around, that's one way to go. much better than dirtying up the cargo area and laying it down especially in inclement weather (have to check if there is clearance to stand it up w/ front wheel removed but then I'd need an internal bar w/ front wheel lock). snowboard racks are also a possibility I am considering for the same reason. but for now, no rack!

btw, what brand rack did you get? let me know how it works out.

in the meantime enjoy your light ice blue :) probably matches some glaciers up there in Canada... kinda like camo. lol

Glaciers up here in Canada??? Spring is in the air Bri719. Just finished washing it. It takes a while with all those nooks and crannys. I have the original Ford racks. They look good to me. The only thing is that you have to use 8 screws to attach the 2 racks to the rails. Not always easy to put on and take off when you want to. When I have the racks on, I will show you some pics. I take it that you do not have the tow package. I have an excellent bike carrier that holds 2 bikes and goes right into the trailer hitch. Lot easier than putting a bike inside or on top of the Edge.

Dave

Hi All,

I'm about to pick up my very first Edge this evening and my wife and I are looking forward to it.

My question on roof rails is that I'm wondering if anyone has installed them by themselves and can tell me how difficult it might be??

Thanks,

Jim Michon

Hi All,

I'm about to pick up my very first Edge this evening and my wife and I are looking forward to it.

My question on roof rails is that I'm wondering if anyone has installed them by themselves and can tell me how difficult it might be??

Thanks,

Jim Michon

Hi Jim. I have the factory roof rails on my Edge. I had my dealer order the roof racks for me. They made a mistake and ordered roof rails. When I opened the box, the instructions stated that it was recommended that the dealer install the roof rails. The actual roof racks are very easy to install though. Just 2 screws on the end of each rack. But I am sure that if you know what you are doing, you could intall the roof rails yourself. Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi Jim. I have the factory roof rails on my Edge. I had my dealer order the roof racks for me. They made a mistake and ordered roof rails. When I opened the box, the instructions stated that it was recommended that the dealer install the roof rails. The actual roof racks are very easy to install though. Just 2 screws on the end of each rack. But I am sure that if you know what you are doing, you could intall the roof rails yourself. Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks, Dave........that helps a bunch. I believe I could tackle that myself.

Jim

Glaciers up here in Canada??? Spring is in the air Bri719. Just finished washing it. It takes a while with all those nooks and crannys. I have the original Ford racks. They look good to me. The only thing is that you have to use 8 screws to attach the 2 racks to the rails. Not always easy to put on and take off when you want to. When I have the racks on, I will show you some pics. I take it that you do not have the tow package. I have an excellent bike carrier that holds 2 bikes and goes right into the trailer hitch. Lot easier than putting a bike inside or on top of the Edge.

Dave

yeah no tow... I never tow anything. too bad about the screws. but as long as you're only taking them on or off once or twice a year I guess it's no big deal.

enjoy the sunshine :hyper: :shades:

• 1 year later...
yeah no tow... I never tow anything. too bad about the screws. but as long as you're only taking them on or off once or twice a year I guess it's no big deal.

enjoy the sunshine :hyper: :shades:

HELP!!!!! We recently picked up our new 2010 Edge Limited AWD (a few months ago now) - which we had specially ordered since we forwent the Vista Roof for factory installed roof rails and cross bars. We needed the extra storage capacity of a cargo box (which we explained to the dealer). I just attempted to install our Thule Atlantis 1200 box on the roof - which is too long (it interferes with the tailgate fully opening). SO - I went to pick up a new - somewhat shorter box (that would still accommodate our ski equipment) ONLY to discover that there is now box that fits on the Ford rails and cross bars which doesn't interfere with the tailgate opening. I have now been in touch with our dealer... Ford Canada AND Thule - and there doesn't seem to be a solution?!?!???? Given that these are factory installed rails - we can't remove them to try a complete after market solution (i.e. Thule, Yakima or Inno bars)... and since the roof rails are installed so far back on the roof line - even Thule cross bars won't work. HELP?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <so much for ordering factory installed roof systems from Ford)

HELP!!!!! We recently picked up our new 2010 Edge Limited AWD (a few months ago now) - which we had specially ordered since we forwent the Vista Roof for factory installed roof rails and cross bars. We needed the extra storage capacity of a cargo box (which we explained to the dealer). I just attempted to install our Thule Atlantis 1200 box on the roof - which is too long (it interferes with the tailgate fully opening). SO - I went to pick up a new - somewhat shorter box (that would still accommodate our ski equipment) ONLY to discover that there is now box that fits on the Ford rails and cross bars which doesn't interfere with the tailgate opening. I have now been in touch with our dealer... Ford Canada AND Thule - and there doesn't seem to be a solution?!?!???? Given that these are factory installed rails - we can't remove them to try a complete after market solution (i.e. Thule, Yakima or Inno bars)... and since the roof rails are installed so far back on the roof line - even Thule cross bars won't work. HELP?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <so much for ordering factory installed roof systems from Ford)

researching roof racks lately I have found that you can add a clip on tower and crossbar in the front door area and use an after market crossbar on the factory rails for the back. kind of a hacked solution, but if you must have a cargo box that'd be an ideal.

I was looking for bike racks for the factory rails and bars and the ones that are a fork mount would probably interfere with the hatch. I bought one where you leave both wheels on and it appears to fit, just got it in today.

I'd call the factory rack system on the edge poor as it is too far back and the crossbars are too close together and not movable.

"A popular vehicle that Rack Attack has been ”racking” over the past year or so is the Ford Edge (and Lincoln MKX) with a Vista roof package. Unfortunately, Ford does not offer the factory side-rail package for this vehicle, because the part of the roof where the side-rails would connect is weakened due to the glass of the moon roof. But as they say, all is not lost.

Thule has a crossbar system that “clips” around the frame of the doors – which, instead of putting the weight near the glass roof, puts it over the door frame. Using this type of rack gives you a weight capacity of 165 pounds, which is more than enough to carry a cargo box. This roof rack system, called the 400xt system, retails for $409.96, and includes the 400xt Feet, the 2191 Fit Kit (this is the vehicle specific component), a pair of 58″ Load Bars, and locks. On the 2008 Edge pictured below, we installed a black Thule Spirit, one of Thule’s premium cargo boxes:

spirit-edge-1.jpg

The Spirit is one of Thule’s lowest profile boxes (at 14.2″), with an aerodynamic styling that is unique to its shape. It is a heavy box at 57 lbs. (partially due to the metal reinforcement underneath – which gives it a quieter ride by cutting down on vibration), so it is a good thing the 400xt rack can take the weight. The Spirit’s best feature, in my opinion, is its seductive design – especially on the gloss black model – making it a handsome addition to any vehicle."

researching roof racks lately I have found that you can add a clip on tower and crossbar in the front door area and use an after market crossbar on the factory rails for the back. kind of a hacked solution, but if you must have a cargo box that'd be an ideal.

I was looking for bike racks for the factory rails and bars and the ones that are a fork mount would probably interfere with the hatch. I bought one where you leave both wheels on and it appears to fit, just got it in today.

I'd call the factory rack system on the edge poor as it is too far back and the crossbars are too close together and not movable.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. Unfortunately even the aftermarket crossbars are not much help - since as you rightfully noted - the factory installed roof rails are too far back... any further thoughts would be much appreciated!

"A popular vehicle that Rack Attack has been ”racking” over the past year or so is the Ford Edge (and Lincoln MKX) with a Vista roof package. Unfortunately, Ford does not offer the factory side-rail package for this vehicle, because the part of the roof where the side-rails would connect is weakened due to the glass of the moon roof. But as they say, all is not lost.

Thule has a crossbar system that “clips” around the frame of the doors – which, instead of putting the weight near the glass roof, puts it over the door frame. Using this type of rack gives you a weight capacity of 165 pounds, which is more than enough to carry a cargo box. This roof rack system, called the 400xt system, retails for $409.96, and includes the 400xt Feet, the 2191 Fit Kit (this is the vehicle specific component), a pair of 58″ Load Bars, and locks. On the 2008 Edge pictured below, we installed a black Thule Spirit, one of Thule’s premium cargo boxes:

spirit-edge-1.jpg

The Spirit is one of Thule’s lowest profile boxes (at 14.2″), with an aerodynamic styling that is unique to its shape. It is a heavy box at 57 lbs. (partially due to the metal reinforcement underneath – which gives it a quieter ride by cutting down on vibration), so it is a good thing the 400xt rack can take the weight. The Spirit’s best feature, in my opinion, is its seductive design – especially on the gloss black model – making it a handsome addition to any vehicle."

Hi Superman...

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, as much as I would love to install your recommendation (as I had already found it as well on the net) - it will not work with the factory installed rails... and as a quick FYI - we don't have a Vista roof... we ordered the Edge specifically without it to accommodate the rails - and intended box). Any other ideas - greatly appreciated.

I don't have much a choice as to not love my roof rails as our MKX is not equipped with the vista-roof but rather the rear seat DVD/entertainment system. I do like the "proportions" that the roof rails give our MKX as ones without them look flat/chopped top for lack of a better word(s). It is not equipped with the cross rails yet but if I run across a used set for a good price I would buy them. Vista roof or not, I am happy either way. We got WAY too good of a deal on this particular MKX to go looking for an Edge or an MKX equipped with the vista roof.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. Unfortunately even the aftermarket crossbars are not much help - since as you rightfully noted - the factory installed roof rails are too far back... any further thoughts would be much appreciated!

you have to add a crossbar further up with aftermarket towers that clip inside the door. then use the rails for the other crossbar.

• Like 1

you have to add a crossbar further up with aftermarket towers that clip inside the door. then use the rails for the other crossbar.

Thanks...likely a solution - albeit far from aesthetic... rather frustrating to think that I am unable to use the factory designed and installed roof system... a bit unreal that Ford rolled this out with such a bad design.

Thanks...likely a solution - albeit far from aesthetic... rather frustrating to think that I am unable to use the factory designed and installed roof system... a bit unreal that Ford rolled this out with such a bad design.

I don't think it would be possible for Ford to accommodate ALL BOX, BIKE, rack etc manufactures.

I would think it be their responsibility to fit their hardware to Ford.

I’ve added lots of add-ons over the years some fit some didn’t just kept looking till I found one I liked that fit.

Basic example:

I wanted to use Silverstar low beam headlights in my 05 F250.

Sylvania didn’t start making them till 07, NOT Fords fault!

ab