Stubby Antenna Install

(add disclaimers, risks and caveats here about what damage you could do or warranties you could void by changing your antenna)

I have not seen this done on any Edge yet, but another thread got me thinking about something I had subconsciously never really liked about my Edge.. the antenna. I love the placement of the antenna, but NOT the look of it nor the fact it was 11.5". Just seemed out of place. PLUS, I never listen to AM/FM (I have Satellite and an iPod so no need), so was cool with bobbing it even if it lost some signal strength as what did I care. It was a huge focal point for something I do not really need, but need to have something there. I was going for look more than performance.

So, after surfing the internets, I came across a nice aluminum, stubby, all black antenna I wanted to try. I wanted to go about as short as possible, and I found the shortest I saw was about 2", and ended up going 2.5". I saw many styles, colors and sizes on many sites, but opted for the "Mangowalk 2.4" Black Short & Stubby Antenna Mast in black aluminum". They were super cool with answering emails and fit questions, and the price was very good. It comes with 4 different sized threaded mounting studs to mount to any real possible size antenna base, and so I was covered. Install was cake.. hand turn out old, put in the right size threaded stud into the new antenna mast, hand tighten down new antenna. Cake.

Now, of course I wanted to see just how/if it did affect signal strength so before I did this I scanned and programmed all AM/FM1/FM1 presets while in my driveway. Filled all the channels. After the install, I quickly went back through each and every preset and I could not tell a bit of difference. Of course, not moving car, in an area that seems to get good reception, and blah blah blah, but I expected something to change. Nothing. Now, of course your mileage may vary, duh. But for me, I was pretty impressed. Don't plan to listen to terrestrial radio.. but it seems I still can. More importantly, I achieved my goal as I think it looks 100 times better, a bit more stealth and modern, a bit cleaner look.

post-2453-1206829320_thumb.jpg

It was cheap.. about $14 shipped or so... something like that. there is a link in my post that will take you right to their site. many to select from, but we now know that model I listed in quotes works great. (and looks great).

as Creamy said.. I would NOT cut an antenna down. no way. for that cheap of price, just buy it and try it. you'll like it :)

and creamy.. I like the shark fins also, but I have seen no mention of one that will fit/retro, plus you would have to remove that blocky antenna base some way and who knows what that entails.

It was cheap.. about $14 shipped or so... something like that. there is a link in my post that will take you right to their site. many to select from, but we now know that model I listed in quotes works great. (and looks great).

as Creamy said.. I would NOT cut an antenna down. no way. for that cheap of price, just buy it and try it. you'll like it :)

and creamy.. I like the shark fins also, but I have seen no mention of one that will fit/retro, plus you would have to remove that blocky antenna base some way and who knows what that entails.

Cool, do you have a dead pedal installed though on the Edge? It looks like you may have one/

Hi,

Tjhanks for your post. Would you like to get rid of your old antenna? I just bought a used 2007 Edge. It came without any mast. The dealer gave me a rediculous quote for a replacement. I don't need a stubby one, though I may buy one for those times I do. I'd prefer not to reduce my reception as I'm in a spot where there are many hills. I am surprised I get some reception without the mast! Life is good, Bob. watrousr@optonline.net

Hi,

Tjhanks for your post. Would you like to get rid of your old antenna? I just bought a used 2007 Edge. It came without any mast. The dealer gave me a rediculous quote for a replacement. I don't need a stubby one, though I may buy one for those times I do. I'd prefer not to reduce my reception as I'm in a spot where there are many hills. I am surprised I get some reception without the mast! Life is good, Bob. watrousr@optonline.net

Sorry.. but I am going to hold onto it..

BTW, the same company I got my stubby antenna from also has regular full size ones as I am sure the dealer charges and arm and a leg, but I would hold the dealer to giving me an antenna for Gods sake, I mean come on.. no antenna no radio.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so quick! I bought the car used on ebay. For an SEL with AWD, in red with tan leather seats etc... I paid just under 21,000. It was a good deal, even missing an antenna mast. The radio was working even without the mast so I didn't know it was missing till I drove it home from Ohio to New Jersey. I was wondering why the reception was so lousy in th ehills of Pennsylvania! On another topic, and perhaps I have to post it as a new thread, has anyone ever upgraded the brakes on the Edge? I see from reading some reviews that the stopping distance for the Edge doesn't get a good rating, and I'm adding a trailer hitch, which means when towing it will of course be worse. Life is good, Bob

• 5 weeks later...

BTW.. I watched that Harry Connick jr. commercial last night where he drives the MKX thru New Orleans .. anyway, I noticed that in the entire commercial there is NO antenna on the car! they took it off and just have the black base all the way through. LOL

should have gotten him a stubby :)

• 3 weeks later...
BTW.. I watched that Harry Connick jr. commercial last night where he drives the MKX thru New Orleans .. anyway, I noticed that in the entire commercial there is NO antenna on the car! they took it off and just have the black base all the way through. LOL

should have gotten him a stubby :)

I knew there was something unusual about the car in that ad but couldn't put my finger on it. well done!!

I just ordered the 6.8" black aluminum to replace the stock 11.5" ... expecting same reception, better look

Edited by bri719

better look no doubt... same reception? you tell us. I suspect you would be just fine. post a photo what you install.

You know.. the more and more I look around at antennas I notice more and more newer models with a stubby or shark setup (Acura, Mercedes, BMW, even some VW) and wonder... if a stubby antenna really limits reception to a noticeable degree, how are they getting away with them as stock now? I can only come up with 3 reasons: (1) because a stubby works just fine and a 12" antenna is just plain overkill or (2) they have some kind of factory signal booster in place or (3) they have some sort of system where a wire portion of the antenna is also in the roof and the stubby antenna we see is just an extension of what is in the roof doing most of the work. I find #3 harder to believe and #1,2 more likely.

better look no doubt... same reception? you tell us. I suspect you would be just fine. post a photo what you install.

You know.. the more and more I look around at antennas I notice more and more newer models with a stubby or shark setup (Acura, Mercedes, BMW, even some VW) and wonder... if a stubby antenna really limits reception to a noticeable degree, how are they getting away with them as stock now? I can only come up with 3 reasons: (1) because a stubby works just fine and a 12" antenna is just plain overkill or (2) they have some kind of factory signal booster in place or (3) they have some sort of system where a wire portion of the antenna is also in the roof and the stubby antenna we see is just an extension of what is in the roof doing most of the work. I find #3 harder to believe and #1,2 more likely.

The long whip antenna of the past 50 years was "field expedient" from a corp $$ standpoint.

The stubbie antenna works the same way as the "rolled copper wire tube" in your old home AM/FM tabletop.

Pressure to be aerodynamic and 'cool' led to the European mfgs utilizing this design. Then the US mfgs just copied the design.

Unfortunately, it does not work as well as the whip. an AM signal needs a 30 to 40 inch wavelength and the FM is somewhere near 30 inches. The stubbies try to max both and exceed not to well with a compromise. There is some gain in the receivers but not much.

This is the reason aftermarket radios are so mutch better than OEM.

• 3 months later...

Im new to this forum, reading about the antenna I wanted to buy one fro my edge 07.

Just got it today and I love it.

Thanks for the great idea.

Im trying to do more mods to my edge, thinking to replace the stock radio to one with a touch screen, rims and tires, fog lamps and get some tinted tail lights.

Any recommendations on what it will work?

I appreciate anyones help.

Thanks again.