Rolling Backwards

sjsutton

I picked up my SEL carbon grey Edge tonight. Coming from an 02 Chrysler Concord Cruiser, I have to say, the Edge rivals it for ride smoothness and comfort.

One thing I noticed which was odd (for an automatic transmission), if I'm idling in drive on a (somewhat) steep incline, the car rolls backwards while in drive (similar to a clutch standard) when I take my foot off the brake.

Is this normal? I thought all cars had anti-roll mechanisms nowadays. Or is this because of the AWD?

Any insight would be appreciated.

It really depends on the vehicle and the degree of the incline. I was in an Explorer until a few weeks ago. That thing would not roll backwards on any incline I found. I'm now in a Milan and it immediately starts rolling up on a majority of inclines. As for the Edge I've used a few days, its about 50/50. I did find two times that it rolled backwards, but these were on some pretty steep inclines. If you think the rolling backwards is happening too much or too quickly, pop open the hood. Look by the air filter housing, you should a curved/bent tube attached to the rubber coupling that goes from the airbox housing to the throttlebody. Make sure it isn't leaking/hissing, it would be noisy if it's not clamped down and sealed properly. This helps for "tip in" response.

• 4 weeks later...

You can always use the parking brake on the left and give it some gas on the right before releasing, which would treat it like a stick hillstart. We dont have hills around here, but i have lived in extremely hilly areas in the past (in fact i miss that scenery, but not the gas mileage!) and that is the way a hillstart should be done rather than holding on the clutch. Automatics are a new thing to me over the last 5-6 years and rarely in hills so i am not 100% on the protocol, but that is the way i approached it when i had a hand parking brake, the foot pedal one seems to work about the same though.