Sound Deadening

Anyone try to do any additional sound dampening in the interior of the G2 edge? Mainly I'm hearing a lot of road noise from the rear seats/cargo area. I've looked into SDS (sound deadener showdown) and i know it is a good product, but i was also thinking of maybe trying something lighter, like spray on boom mat. maybe spray the wheel wells, spare tire area, and trans/exhaust tunnel area.

any experience with this stuff? or some other product you like?

I'm surprised you find it bad enough to try fixing it further. These Gen-II's have gotten great reviews for their quiet cabin, it was something I noticed immediately, and before reading about how quiet they were. On the other hand, I definitely noticed the increase in cabin noise after switching from 20" wheels w/ all seasons to 21" wheels w/ summer performance tires.

I'm surprised you find it bad enough to try fixing it further. These Gen-II's have gotten great reviews for their quiet cabin, it was something I noticed immediately, and before reading about how quiet they were. On the other hand, I definitely noticed the increase in cabin noise after switching from 20" wheels w/ all seasons to 21" wheels w/ summer performance tires.

Let me clarify... I have the rear seats removed, and I made a flat platform so my doggo is comfortable standing with her big dopey head out the window. i posted pictures in the weight reduction thread i made on here somewhere.

anyway, without the seats to eat up that extra road noise, i'm going to try and silence it some now, so when i switch back and forth it goes from quiet to extra quiet!

Let me clarify... I have the rear seats removed, and I made a flat platform so my doggo is comfortable standing with her big dopey head out the window. i posted pictures in the weight reduction thread i made on here somewhere.

anyway, without the seats to eat up that extra road noise, i'm going to try and silence it some now, so when i switch back and forth it goes from quiet to extra quiet!

Oh yeah, I remember your post with the cool doggy table in the back, makes more sense now for sure. Its a kinda big open space underneath the table right? Maybe try filling that in or lining it to deaden some of the drum effect you might be getting from that?

its very empty with only the few patches of rubberized caulking in a few spots to dampen some of the drum noise. i did attach some left over audio foam from my recording studio underneath the dog platform. helped some with the hissing, not so much help with the humming. plus i'll be fabricating a 2.5" exhaust under there in the next week or two, so i'm sure that'll liven up the sound in the cab

Hopefully I'll finally put 3 packs of Dynamat (36sqft each) and 50 lbs of poly-fill into the edge some point this month. Had them sitting in the basement for like 6 months now. Dynamat is on sale at Amazon for 220CAD right now, even cheaper in the states last time I checked. Poly-fill (on the inside) might help to fill in the trunk side panels and under floor, plus its easy to remove if you dont glue it in. Carpet underlay is another good option as well. For the outside a rubberized undercoating is the way to go!

Edited by Beezz

• 2 years later...