2013 MKX Overheating

Jackle75

Greetings,

I am new to this forum and would like a little advise on troubleshooting an engine overheating issue. As the title states or lack thereof, we have a 2013 with 65k miles purchased earlier this for my wife. Naturally, we don't have a warranty so any help is greatly appreciated. The issue started this morning, my wife preparing to drop the kiddo off and head to work. The morning temperature were around 38 - 40 degrees. She received a Engine overheating display and the check engine light is now on.

I noticed that the temperature gauge attempted to read the correct reading, then went to zero. I've read that if the PCM doesn't receive a valid message within several seconds, it will default to the last good known setting. Both fans are working with the AC on, which is cold as hell. Is it possible it can be a bad sensor or thermostat? I don't have a code reader to properly diagnose and I am afraid to drive to my Autozone.

Regards,

Edited by Jackle75

Reading the code is must, otherwise you'll be in the dark, code readers are now available for cheap. Also, did you check the coolant level?

I was able to pull the code P1289 CHT sensor. Upon further inspection, I notice a rodents nest below the lower intake manifold and rodent sh!t on the engine cover. The CHT connector was chewed to hell, order one from Ford should be here tomorrow.

Any suggestions on how to keep f'ing rodents out of the engine bay?

Reading the code is must, otherwise you'll be in the dark, code readers are now available for cheap. Also, did you check the coolant level?

I was able to pull the code P1289 CHT sensor. Upon further inspection, I notice a rodents nest below the lower intake manifold and rodent sh!t on the engine cover. The CHT connector was chewed to hell, order one from Ford should be here tomorrow.

Any suggestions on how to keep f'ing rodents out of the engine bay?