AC Smell?

akbob

Lately I have been noticing a smell coming from the A/C. Smells like old socks or a wet dog. Made an appointment with my dealer's service department and they, according to the invoice, "performed A/C System Deodorizer" using "Kit #YN-18". When I got the car back, A/C had a perfumy talcum powder smell for a couple of days. Then the bad smell came back again. And before you ask.....there are no socks or wet canines stuck under the hood!!!!

By the way, no charge for this service. Said it was still under warranty.

Service rep explained the smell is from moisture trapped in the A/C coils and creating bacteria, mold, fungi-type stuff. Said the only thing I could do to keep the smell down is to switch off A/C and turn on vent air to dry out coils a few minutes before I get to my destination.

I have been doing that religiously but the smell returns anyway.

What little research I did on the internet reveled that this is becoming a more common problem with new cars because the manufacturers (not just Ford) are designing and installing smaller, more efficient evaporators with tighter and smaller fins on the core. This is trapping condensation and not allowing it to evaporate, thus the creation of mold and the smell.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, any ideas on a solution. Is the offending parts accessable to spray them with Lysol or something?

Thought I would query the board before I go back to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Although I can't recall the make/model, I remember one of the major car manufacturers was having this problem a couple of years ago. The fix was a modficiation to the climate control sytem to run the blower for a few minutes after the vehicle was shut down to dry out the evaporator. New vehicles were built with this modification and older ones could be retrofitted to include it. After a short delay (after shut down) the blower would come on, run for 4-5 minutes to dry the evap core, and then turn off again.

Generally, the odor comes from something drawn into the plenum from outside that gets moldy. Consider where you park and if the cowl area (at the windshield end of the hood) could be getting a lot of tree droppings (seeds, pollen, etc.) If that routinely happens, the problem may continue.

Try running the climate control system on "Fresh air" setting rather than recirculate. That should help unless you are in a very damp environment. When you take it back to the dealership, ask them to make sure the drain hose from the plenum is clear also.

Lately I have been noticing a smell coming from the A/C. Smells like old socks or a wet dog. Made an appointment with my dealer's service department and they, according to the invoice, "performed A/C System Deodorizer" using "Kit #YN-18". When I got the car back, A/C had a perfumy talcum powder smell for a couple of days. Then the bad smell came back again. And before you ask.....there are no socks or wet canines stuck under the hood!!!!

By the way, no charge for this service. Said it was still under warranty.

Service rep explained the smell is from moisture trapped in the A/C coils and creating bacteria, mold, fungi-type stuff. Said the only thing I could do to keep the smell down is to switch off A/C and turn on vent air to dry out coils a few minutes before I get to my destination.

I have been doing that religiously but the smell returns anyway.

What little research I did on the internet reveled that this is becoming a more common problem with new cars because the manufacturers (not just Ford) are designing and installing smaller, more efficient evaporators with tighter and smaller fins on the core. This is trapping condensation and not allowing it to evaporate, thus the creation of mold and the smell.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, any ideas on a solution. Is the offending parts accessable to spray them with Lysol or something?

Thought I would query the board before I go back to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

Bob

I've had exactely the same thing with my Edge. The dealer said to spray some Lysol or Oust under the dash on the passenger side. I did it several times, the smell has now gone. He could not give me a direct answer, but it seems like it's water trapped from the aircon, hopefully it does not stay trapped and smelly. I couldn't see any trapped water, I crawled under the car, saw nothing.....so who knows?

Hi all. :D Just an FYI for those who wish to spray an HVAC disinfectant through their system. The HVAC system draws outside air in through the grille located at the base of the windshield where it meets the cowl (by the windsheild wipers arm bases).

Good luck. :beerchug:

Just to clarify - If the climate controls are set to recirculate, then air is brought into the plenum at the bottom of the instrument panel in the passenger's foot area. If set for fresh air, then it will come in from the cowl area at the bottom of the windshield in front of the passenger seat.

As I stated before, make sure the drain hose is not plugged or kinked and holding water in the bottom of the plenum.

Hi all. :D Just an FYI for those who wish to spray an HVAC disinfectant through their system. The HVAC system draws outside air in through the grille located at the base of the windshield where it meets the cowl (by the windsheild wipers arm bases).

Hi all. :D Sorry for quoting myself above, but after reading what Grey posted, I guess I need to clarify also.

For maximum efficiency when introducing a disinfectant to your HVAC system to stem an odor problem, you should set your HVAC system control so that it is not on "Recirculate". Then you should spray the disinfectant through the grill in the cowl (where the hood meets the windshield). In this way you will be drawing the disinfectant in through the vent at the bottom of the windshield.

This will give the disinfectant the best chance of running through the areas of your HVAC system that are most likely to be harboring mold/mildew/etc.

While spraying it in the footwell while on "Recirculate" will help some, the disinfectant will not get to the most likely areas affected by outside moisture and contaminants. Those areas are the vent system bringing in the outside air.

Additionally, taking off the grille at the base of the cowl periodically and cleaning out any leaves, bugs and other debris will help. You will be surprised how much junk will sometimes accumulate there. While cleaning out the debris, check to be sure the drains are not blocked.

Edited by bbf2530