Is this a good deal?

So I am looking at buying a new edge from a friend of a friend who is a car salesman. He couldn't find one nearby that was exactly as I wanted, so he suggested special ordering one which he would sell to me at $500 over invoice. Is this a good deal? The invoice reads...

2008 Edge FWD Limited $28,867

White Sand CC $421.00

Panoramic Roof $1,696

Power Liftgate $417

20" Chrome Wheels $761

SAT Radio W/6 Mo. $166

5 U.S. Gal. Gas $16.40

FDAF Assessment $458

Dest. & Delivery $755

TOTAL BASE AND OPTIONS $33,217

$500 OVER INVOICE $33,717

I really wanted the Navigation but this upped the price to $35,413 (at $500 over)

Edited by IWantAnEdge

Incentives vary by region. If there are "rebates" from Ford for your ZIP code, then that would not be the "Best" deal.

Go on the Ford web sites and look for "Special Offers" for your area. Subtract any additional discounts from the invoice price.

This is a touchy area. If you are not feeling comfortable, e-mail another dealer or two and tell them what you are looking for and ask for their "Best" price.

For it to be a great deal, it needs to be a win-win for both parties, but that raises the economic question about how much profit a dealership should make on a $34,000 sale. And that discussion leads to where the profit comes from - vehicle, service plans, contests, financing, doc. fees, service work, etc.

I suspect you will get a range of offers when you check around. Ask for the out the door price so you are not hit with unexpected, prep, document, security, paint/fabric protection, etc. add ons. Good Luck.

So I am looking at buying a new edge from a friend of a friend who is a car salesman. He couldn't find one nearby that was exactly as I wanted, so he suggested special ordering one which he would sell to me at $500 over invoice. Is this a good deal? The invoice reads...

White Sand CC $421.00

Panoramic Roof $1,696

Power Liftgate $417

20" Chrome Wheels $761

SAT Radio W/6 Mo. $166

5 U.S. Gal. Gas $16.40

FDAF Assessment $458

Dest. & Delivery $755

I really wanted the Navigation but this upped the price to $35,413 (at $500 over)

Hi IWantAnEdge. :D Essentially, as Grey stated, there are still too many variables to answer your question accurately.

What is your ZIP Code? What Incentives are currently offered by Ford in your area?

Is this price before or after all available Incentives are deducted?

Are you financing? If yes, what are the APR Rates you are being offered?

Is this your "out the Door" price. In other words, is this the final price, or are there still fees and charges which the Dealer will tack on when you sit down to sign the Purchase Contract (i.e. "Documentation Fees", "Dealer Prep Fees", "Delivery Charges", etc etc.).

As you can see, there are too many unanswered questions to give an accurate answer.

At the very least, even if every answer is in your favor, off the top of my head the price seems a few hundred high (if Incentives have not yet been deducted) to be considered a really great deal.

If all available Incentives have already been deducted, it is a horrible price (unless there are no Incentives available in your area, which is doubtful, or you are taking the Special APR Financing in lieu of Cash Incentives).

But again, perception is relative and it is hard to tell with the limited information available.

If you can find out the answers to the questions posed by Grey and myself, we may be able to give you a better answer.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi IWantAnEdge. :D Essentially, as Grey stated, there are still too many variables to answer your question accurately.

What is your ZIP Code? What Incentives are currently offered by Ford in your area?

Is this price before or after all available Incentives are deducted?

Are you financing? If yes, what are the APR Rates you are being offered?

Is this your "out the Door" price. In other words, is this the final price, or are there still fees and charges which the Dealer will tack on when you sit down to sign the Purchase Contract (i.e. "Documentation Fees", "Dealer Prep Fees", "Delivery Charges", etc etc.).

As you can see, there are many questions that need to be answered to give an accurate answer.

At the very least, even if every answer is in your favor, off the top of my head the price seems a few hundred high (if Incentives have not yet been deducted) to be considered a really great deal.

If all available Incentives have already been deducted, it is a horrible price (unless there are no Incentives available in your area, which is doubtful, or you are taking the Special APR Financing in lieu of Cash Incentives).

But again, perception is relative and it is hard to tell with the limited information available.

If you can find out the answers to the questions posed by Grey and myself, we may be able to give you a better answer.

My Zip is 76048. The invoice price is before any rebates, as the dealer stated these would be applied at the time of delivery. I think the current rebates for my area are $2000 cash back which is good thru June, but I wondered if I would be excluded from this offer since the disclaimer states "take new retail delivery from dealer stock" and my car will instead be special ordered. The current APR's are as follows

0.9% APR financing for 36 months

1.9% APR financing for 48 months

2.9% APR financing for 60 months

4.9% APR financing for 72 months

If the incentives are cash back or special financing, I will be taking the special financing terms. I do need to clairfy if this is the "out the door price".

Thanks for your help!!!

My Zip is 76048. The invoice price is before any rebates, as the dealer stated these would be applied at the time of delivery. I think the current rebates for my area are $2000 cash back which is good thru June, but I wondered if I would be excluded from this offer since the disclaimer states "take new retail delivery from dealer stock" and my car will instead be special ordered. The current APR's are as follows

0.9% APR financing for 36 months

1.9% APR financing for 48 months

2.9% APR financing for 60 months

4.9% APR financing for 72 months

If the incentives are cash back or special financing, I will be taking the special financing terms. I do need to clairfy if this is the "out the door price".

Thanks for your help!!!

Hi IWantAnEdge. :D Well, let's work with what we have so far then:

1 - Yes, you are still eligible for the Cash Incentives if you factory order. The disclaimer merely means that you qualify for the Incentives in place at the time you take delivery, not the ones in place when you order (if they should change).

2 - With the current Incentive offers, if you take the Special Low APR Rates, you can not qualify for the Cash Incentive. It is one or the other, you can not qualify for both.

3 - If you are taking the Low APR Rates and this price ($500 over "True Factory Invoice) is the "Out the Door" price, including all fees and charges (other than Tax, Title and Registration), it is not a bad price. Not quite a great price though.

Personally, I would try to get it down another $200-$300. But that is me. Sometimes you can reach the point of diminishing returns and the haggling becomes more of a hassle than the savings. Only you can decide when you have reached that point.

I would just reiterate what Grey said earlier: Check out pricing at a few Dealers. I find it is always worth the trouble when you are buying retail.

Let us know about the "Out the Door" price question.

Edited by bbf2530

That price seems really high, we got ours below invoice.

Hi CreamEDGE. :D Some more information would be helpful as to pricing.

For example, what was your Edge's MSRP?

What was its Invoice price?

How much Incentive Cash did you qualify for?

What was your final purchase price?

Did you Trade-in a vehicle?

Did that price include the Trade-in?

What APR rate did you get on your financing?

Figures are always helpful, as people have very different ideas as to how vehicle pricing actually works.

Hope you can give us that information.

Edited by bbf2530

I don't have the sticker in front of me but it was around 35K.

Tow package, BAMR, Navi. SEL+ FWD

OTD price was like 34ish.

No trade in.

I'll have the paperwork in a week. I'm not at home.

Hi CreamEdge. :D Thanks for the information.

Besides the MSRP (sticker price) and Trade-in info, another very important piece of information would be how much you received in Incentives/Rebates.

For example, it makes a big difference in pricing information as to whether that "OTD" price included $500 of Incentive Cash, or $3,000 of Incentive Cash (or some other figure).

Please let us know when you get home and have the time.

So I spoke with the dealer today, he did quote me the "OTD" price of $35K with Navigation, and if I take delivery before June 30th there is a cash back incentive of $2K knocking the price down to $33K, plus whatever discount they will give me for my trade (although not expecting much). I still want to believe its a good deal.

So I spoke with the dealer today, he did quote me the "OTD" price of $35K with Navigation, and if I take delivery before June 30th there is a cash back incentive of $2K knocking the price down to $33K, plus whatever discount they will give me for my trade (although not expecting much). I still want to believe its a good deal.

That's a good price, it's around what I paid, whatever the dealer was talking about 500 above invoice isn't.

Hi IWantAnEdge. :D Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you say that you will be taking the Special APR Finance Rates?

If you do, you can not qualify for the $2,000 Cash Incentive (at least not under the current restrictions).

Under the rules of the current Incentive Offers, it is one or the other.

In addition, to make your life easier, you should know the following: You can not compare the price you get to what someone else got in the past or will get in the future. Incentive packages change. Incentive packages vary by region. People on the Internet have fuzzy memories or just plain get it wrong. All of these things plus other variables make it impossible to compare apples to apples.

Something as simple as a person saying "they got a price below Invoice" is tricky. The price is above Invoice until the Incentives are deducted. Once Incentives are deducted you have a "below Invoice price". That is not the same as getting the car "below Invoice". You must always compare prices before Incentives are deducted, due to the variability of Incentive packages.

Let me give an example: I can brag that I got my car at "$1,000 below Invoice". Sounds like a great price, right? Well, if there were $3,000 Incentive Cash when I purchased, that means my price, before Incentives were deducted was $2,000 over Invoice. That is an absolutely horrible price once the facts are known, but just saying "$1,000 under Invoice" sounded good at first, without the full facts.

On top of that, I could be paying an APR Rate of 9.9% on a $30,000 six year loan on that "$1,000 under Invoice" deal. Well, that isn't so great either. I hope you understand what I am trying to tell you.

Now, back to your situation: If you can get your price down to $200-$300 over the "Actual Factory Invoice Price", before any Incentives are deducted, you have a really good price. Obviously the lower the better. In most normal cases on a regular retail, non Ford Purchase Plan sale, you will not get lower.

The only way you can get a price below "Factory Invoice" (again, before Incentives are deducted) is if you are buying a hard to sell leftover, or you are purchasing on the Ford Employee AXZD-Plans. The Edge is a hot seller, and Dealers are not selling them below Factory Invoice (again, discussing the pricing including all fees and charges before the Factory Cash Incentives are deducted).

This is a fact of life that those of us who constantly assist others in pricing know and understand.

Just wanted you to know what your options are.

Edited by bbf2530

White Sand CC $421.00

Panoramic Roof $1,696

Power Liftgate $417

20" Chrome Wheels $761

SAT Radio W/6 Mo. $166

5 U.S. Gal. Gas $16.40

FDAF Assessment $458

Dest. & Delivery $755

Go on Fords website and build it, then look up the incentives for your area, try that.