New 2008 Edge - Poor MPG - Problem?

kalphoto

My wife and I got a 2008 Ford Edge about a month ago. Its an SEL with Vista Roof, regular 17" wheels.

We love everything about it BUT...

We are getting much lower MPG than estimated. Now it was listed as 16 City / 24 Hwy. I understand that these are estimates and averages BUT...

we are getting about 14 MPG PERIOD. This is probably about 80% city driving 20% hwy driving. We don't drive aggressively.

The car IS new (only 900 miles on it). Is it possible there is a problem with the car? Should we take it into Ford to check out?

Or is this normal, will the mileage improve? I'm seeing people on this forum averaging 17 - 18 in the city. I'd be totally fine with that.

Please advise. Thanks!

My wife and I got a 2008 Ford Edge about a month ago. Its an SEL with Vista Roof, regular 17" wheels.

We are getting much lower MPG than estimated. Now it was listed as 16 City / 24 Hwy. I understand that these are estimates and averages BUT...

we are getting about 14 MPG PERIOD. This is probably about 80% city driving 20% hwy driving. We don't drive aggressively.

The car IS new (only 900 miles on it). Is it possible there is a problem with the car? Should we take it into Ford to check out?

Or is this normal, will the mileage improve? I'm seeing people on this forum averaging 17 - 18 in the city. I'd be totally fine with that.

Please advise. Thanks!

Hi kalphoto. :D This is a copy and paste of my reply in your other post concerning this question.

There are so many reasons why mileage varies, that it is hard to list them all. Here are just a few (keep in mind that you can personally do something about 6, 7 and 8):

1 - One month is really too soon to be concerned about fuel mileage. How many times have you filled up? 900 miles probably means only about 4 fillups, tops.

2 - Your mileage will improve as your Edge breaks in. This can take up to 5,000 miles to see the full benefit to your mileage.

3 - You cannot compare your "city/highway" driving to that of others. Or for that matter, compare your MPG's to that of others. Let's just say that Internet mileage estimates are a funny thing. Let's also say that I have seen people claim they are getting 19-20 "city" MPG. It is safe to say that what they are calling "City" driving does not qualify for the EPA definition of city driving. People sometimes have a tendency to innocently exaggerate. People also sometimes have a "faulty calculator". Also, it's the Internet so let's face it, some people just make it up as they go along.

4 - Most areas of the country are still using "winter fuel formulations" (oxygenated), which give lower MPG's.

5 - If you are in an area where the temperatures are still cold, that will adversely affect your MPG. Longer idle times to warm up. Richer fuel mixtures, etc.

6 - Do you normally drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO"? If you do, it is the equivalent of driving with your Air Conditioning on all of the time. Turn off the "AUTO" setting when not needed, and just use the vent settings with the fan.

7 - Have you checked your tire pressure lately? If you have not, you should. Low tire pressure will decrease fuel mileage. If you do not already have one, purchase a good tire pressure gauge and inflate your tires to the cold pressure recommendation for your vehicle (about 34-35 PSI I believe) if not a pound or two higher. The Ford recommended pressure is on a sticker on the drivers side door jamb. EDITED: Do not rely on the TPMS system (Tire Pressure Monitor System) to keep an eye on your tire pressures for you. It is not much more than a glorified "idiot light". By the time the TPMS warning light illuminates, your tire pressure is already dangerously low.

8 - Alter your driving style to maximize MPG. Avoid jackrabbit starts and stops. Coast to stop signs and lights. Don't use the gas pedal/brake pedal as on-off buttons (I am not implying that you do, just making recommendations).

These are just a few of the many reasons why MPG will vary from person to person and vehicle to vehicle.

If you really think there is a problem, then your best bet is to take it to the Dealer and have them check it. However, at this point they will likely give you the above advice and ask you to give it some time.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi kalphoto. :D This is a copy and paste of my reply in your other post concerning this question.

There are so many reasons why mileage varies, that it is hard to list them all. Here are just a few (keep in mind that you can personally do something about 6, 7 and 8):

1 - One month is really too soon to be concerned about fuel mileage. How many times have you filled up? 900 miles probably means only about 4 fillups, tops.

2 - Your mileage will improve as your Edge breaks in. This can take up to 5,000 miles to see the full benefit to your mileage.

3 - You cannot compare your "city/highway" driving to that of others. Or for that matter, compare your MPG's to that of others. Let's just say that Internet mileage estimates are a funny thing. Let's also say that I have seen people claim they are getting 19-20 "city" MPG. It is safe to say that what they are calling "City" driving does not qualify for the EPA definition of city driving. People sometimes have a tendency to innocently exaggerate. People also sometimes have a "faulty calculator". Also, it's the Internet so let's face it, some people just make it up as they go along.

4 - Most areas of the country are still using "winter fuel formulations" (oxygenated), which give lower MPG's.

5 - If you are in an area where the temperatures are still cold, that will adversely affect your MPG. Longer idle times to warm up. Richer fuel mixtures, etc.

6 - Do you normally drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO"? If you do, it is the equivalent of driving with your Air Conditioning on all of the time. Turn off the "AUTO" setting when not needed, and just use the vent settings with the fan.

7 - Have you checked your tire pressure lately? If you have not, you should. Low tire pressure will decrease fuel mileage. If you do not already have one, purchase a good tire pressure gauge and inflate your tires to the cold pressure recommendation for your vehicle (about 34-35 PSI I believe) if not a pound or two higher. The Ford recommended pressure is on a sticker on the drivers side door jamb.

8 - Alter your driving style to maximize MPG. Avoid jackrabbit starts and stops. Coast to stop signs and lights. Don't use the gas pedal/brake pedal as on-off buttons (I am not implying that you do, just making recommendations).

These are just a few of the many reasons why MPG will vary from person to person and vehicle to vehicle.

If you really think there is a problem, then your best bet is to take it to the Dealer and have them check it. However, at this point they will likely give you the above advice and ask you to give it some time.

Good luck.

Thanks for the great response. I'll keep an eye on it and reply back later as I compile more data.

Please advise. Thanks!

Is it awd or fwd? Mine was the same until I hit 6,000 miles, It is now getting 21.8 mpg. Mine is an SEL+, FWD and I usually have all 5 seats filled...

lighten up leadfoot :) you'll get at least 15... and it's not just acceleration from stoplights. don't drive over 70 MPH either, note how your owners manual says it takes 15% more gas to drive 65 MPH than 55. it only gets exponentially worse from there.

V8 is nice (sometimes). gas prices for a couple of tenths faster are not. I took a little road trip this weekend, saw gas as high as $4.19 a gallon here in CA ... 87 regular! I always laugh at the people who always say they have to mash the pedal to "make up" for the V6 also. yeah 0-60 7.4 man how do people deal with all this sluggishness? crazy

my Edge isn't even broken in yet and I'm averaging 15.4 MPG right now for only 17 MPH average speed. that's quite a bit of city driving combined with a whole lot of rush hour traffic on the highway. and a stop at one or two drive thru's. I suspect I'll get well over 20 MPG soon and probably even more as my avg speed improves.

Please advise. Thanks!

This is my first time to post anything

I bought an 2008 edge limited AWD in Jan of this year, The gas usage was pretty bad at first. I researched first before I bought. I knew the milage wasn't going to be too high.

At first I got around 12 - 13 mpg then around 4000 mile I started getting 14 1/2 . This was around town driving. After reading other forums I started trying better gas. I started getting 15 to 15 1/2 and 20 freeway. but also the car had more miles by now The milage increased as the vehicle broke in.

Now I have 8400 miles. I have put an K&N air filer in place of the stock air filter and I put bullet exhaust system (mild noise) My milage for the last two tanks has been 16.8 and 17.2 around town. Every day I end up driving this three mile hill about 2000 foot climb ( bad on gas). I also got 22 mpg on a trip doing 70 - 80 depending on traffic.

So I am happy with what I have experienced so far. I love the handling of my AWD I went two month on a muddy road to get home. I ended up parking my f150 for the time it was rainy.

I hope this helps

• 3 months later...

i just got back from a 1200 trip. We took two cars down to the outerbanks. The edge and the freestyle. The edge avg 25.7 and the freestyle avg 24.3. I am very happy because both cars were fully packed and we were driving down pretty quick. about 85mph in the edge and basicly the same in the freestyle except my son was driving that and liked to test the limits of the car. But I am very pleased with my ford's mpg.