MKX's 18" Machined Aluminum Wheels

cmoses

Looking at the Lincoln MKX and trying to decide between the 18" and 20" wheels. I noticed that the 18" wheels are listed in the brochure and on the sticker as "Machined Aluminum" which makes me think they are all one piece. As opposed to the 20" Chrome Clad Aluminum which I know are steel wheels with the Chrome Clad hubcap.

Can someone that is familiar with these 18" wheels verify that they are one piece? Anyone have them that can describe their experiences with them? How are they lasting, upkeep, cleaning, etc. There has been a lot of talk about the 20's but have not seen much on these.

Clayton

Looking at the Lincoln MKX and trying to decide between the 18" and 20" wheels. I noticed that the 18" wheels are listed in the brochure and on the sticker as "Machined Aluminum" which makes me think they are all one piece. As opposed to the 20" Chrome Clad Aluminum which I know are steel wheels with the Chrome Clad hubcap.

Can someone that is familiar with these 18" wheels verify that they are one piece? Anyone have them that can describe their experiences with them? How are they lasting, upkeep, cleaning, etc. There has been a lot of talk about the 20's but have not seen much on these.

Clayton

Hi Clayton. :D The machined aluminum are 1 piece. They have more of a matte or satin look to them, as opposed to the "mirror look" of chrome or chrome clad.

However, as an FYI: The chrome clad aluminum wheels are are not "steel wheels with the Chrome Clad hubcap". They are aluminum wheels with a chrome clad facade or cap. In addition, I would not exactly call it a "hubcap", as it is not removable.

To my knowledge, the machined wheels have a protective clearcoat finish on them (similar to the paint finish of a car). So essentially, you will treat them as you would your paint finish. Wash with car soap and water to clean. Periodically apply a coat of wax and buff them (same wax you use for your paint finish).

Do not use chemical wheel cleaners. There is no need for them, and they will damage the finish over the long term.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Clayton. :D The machined aluminum are 1 piece. They have more of a matte or satin look to them, as opposed to the "mirror look" of chrome or chrome clad.

However, as an FYI: The chrome clad aluminum wheels are are not "steel wheels with the Chrome Clad hubcap". They are aluminum wheels with a chrome clad facade or cap. In addition, I would not exactly call it a "hubcap", as it is not removable.

To my knowledge, the machined wheels have a protective clearcoat finish on them (similar to the paint finish of a car). So essentially, you will treat them as you would your paint finish. Wash with car soap and water to clean. Periodically apply a coat of wax and buff them (same wax you use for your paint finish).

Do not use chemical wheel cleaners. There is no need for them, and they will damage the finish over the long term.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Sorry about the mix up with steel, I meant to say aluminum. I also know that they are not a hubcap and can't be removed, just not sure how to refer to them. I am in no way downplaying the 20" wheels. I like them both on the MKX. I also looked at the Edge and liked the 20" wheels better than the 18's. On the MKX I like both the 18" and 20" designs, it makes deciding very difficult. I know the 18" wheels are "Chrome Clad" on the Edge but was not sure if that was the case on the MKX.

I have seen quite a few posts about the Chrome Clad and some of the problems that they are having. It seems like it might be more 07's and early 08's that are having these problems. Also seem to be more Edge owners talking about it. Not sure how it is effecting the MKX's?

I guess I will need to take a good look at both of them once again before I make my decision.

Clayton