AC Gas Leak and Smell - Condenser or Evaporator ?

taal2020

It would be the evaporator, that is inside the vehicle behind the dashboard. The complete dashboard will need to be removed to change the evaporator.

OEM part only comes as a complete assembly, about $380. Evaporator only you can go aftermarket about $60-$80. But because you have to remove complete dashboard, I would highly recommend OEM to make sure you don't need to replace anything else soon.

• Like 2

It would be the evaporator, that is inside the vehicle behind the dashboard. The complete dashboard will need to be removed to change the evaporator.

OEM part only comes as a complete assembly, about $380. Evaporator only you can go aftermarket about $60-$80. But because you have to remove complete dashboard, I would highly recommend OEM to make sure you don't need to replace anything else soon.

Thanks and appreciate the detailed explanation. The mechanic did mention that it would take 2 days to remove and fix the evaporator/cooler, and they have to remove the entire dashboard.

I just noticed you're from Oman. For your information, the dealer here in Qatar charged me about QAR 3,200/- (~330 Omani Riyals) for the complete job with OEM evaporator assembly. (that was for my older 2011 MKX)

Also, if your going ahead with the job, it would be a good time to change the Spark Plugs & PCV valve as the intake manifold was removed during replacement on my old car.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1