Suspension in the Limited's

djust

I am trying to work a deal with the dealership to trade out the 20" wheels for the 18" preminum wheels on a Blazing Copper Limited

and one of the dealerships I am working with is trying to tell me the suspension is different from a limited that come with 18" wheels

compared to the limited's that come with the upgraded 20" plastic wheels.

I'm not buying it.

Maybe someone can verify this for me before I make an idiot out of myself at the dealership.

Thanks

I am trying to work a deal with the dealership to trade out the 20" wheels for the 18" preminum wheels on a Blazing Copper Limited

and one of the dealerships I am working with is trying to tell me the suspension is different from a limited that come with 18" wheels

I'm not buying it.

Maybe someone can verify this for me before I make an idiot out of myself at the dealership.

Thanks

The only difference that I know of is the 20" rim package comes with 17" front rotors. So 18" rims may not fit.

Hope that helps.

I'm not buying it.

Thanks

Hi djust. :D There are no major suspension differences between the two. The 20" wheel option comes with a "Sport Tuned" suspension, which essentially is just some re-tuned shocks and springs. Nothing that would keep you from switching wheels if you like (other than getting the Dealer to do it).

And just as an FYI. The Edge comes with the same size rotors no matter the wheel options: 12.6" front rotors and 11.9" rear rotors.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi djust. :D There are no major suspension differences between the two. The 20" wheel option comes with a "Sport Tuned" suspension, which essentially is just some re-tuned shocks and springs. Nothing that would keep you from switching wheels if you like (other than getting the Dealer to do it).

And just as an FYI. The Edge comes with the same size rotors no matter the wheel options: 12.6" front rotors and 11.9" rear rotors.

bbf2530

Not to be a pest, but on the Canadian build and price page has the 20" wheel option,

Here is the cut and past.

"Wheels: 20 in Premium Aluminum Chrome-Clad (more info)

Tires: P245/50R20 AS BSW

Includes 17" front brakes."

Not sure if the American site states the same.

I'm only assuming (and you know what that means) that the 18" wheels would have smaller front brakes, and I could be wrong.

Just checked out the American site and with the 20" inch wheel option there is no mension of the bigger brakes.

Hmmmm, could it only be a Canadian option???

Edited by redsvt2001

Hi redsvt2001. :D Yes, that is a stumper. I wonder if the 17 inch reference on the Canadian site is a typo. A 17 inch rotor is a massive brake rotor.

The reason I say that is the following: Not even the Ferrari F430, Ford GT, Lamborghini Gallardo, Corvette Z06 or the Dodge Viper (all out performance vehicles, bordering on race cars), come with 17 inch brake rotors. Their front rotors are in the 14-15 inch range. Even the Ford Expedition, a much heavier vehicle, only has 13.5 inch front rotors.

While I could be wrong, I would bet money it is some sort of typographical error, and the Edge in Canada does not actually come with 17 inch brake rotors, 20 inch wheels or not. Common sense and the size of the front brake rotors on the vehicles would seem to say no. Of course I also realize that rotor size is not the sole determining factor in brake efficiency.

A neighbor of mine (U.S) has a 2008 Edge with the 20 inch factory wheel package, and the brake rotors are not 17 inch rotors. While I did not take the wheel off, a cursory measurement shows they are in the 12-13 inch range.

Can you post the address to that Canadian Ford website? Hopefully we can find some definitive answer to the Canadian question.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi redsvt2001. :D Yes, that is a stumper. I wonder if the 17 inch reference on the Canadian site is a typo. A 17 inch rotor is a massive brake rotor.

The reason I say that is the following: Not even the Ferrari F430, Ford GT, Lamborghini Gallardo, Corvette Z06 or the Dodge Viper (all out performance vehicles, bordering on race cars), come with 17 inch brake rotors. Their front rotors are in the 14-15 inch range. Even the Ford Expedition, a much heavier vehicle, only has 13.5 inch front rotors.

While I could be wrong, I would bet money it is some sort of typographical error, and the Edge in Canada does not actually come with 17 inch brake rotors, 20 inch wheels or not. Common sense and the size of the front brake rotors on the vehicles would seem to say no. Of course I also realize that rotor size is not the sole determining factor in brake efficiency.

A neighbor of mine (U.S) has a 2008 Edge with the 20 inch factory wheel package, and the brake rotors are not 17 inch rotors. While I did not take the wheel off, a cursory measurement shows they are in the 12-13 inch range.

Can you post the address to that Canadian Ford website? Hopefully we can find some definitive answer to the Canadian question.

Some of the readers here say they have swapped out the 20" wheels for the 18"

with no problem so they must fit!!

I just wonder if it would be better to get one with 20" and change them to 18" or get one that came with 18" on it?

But then the dearler may still be a problem with swaping wheels.

OK Here is the scoop.

Canadian page is www.ford.ca and go to build and price ford edge lmt awd.

Just went out and checked the wifes edge limited awd and the front rotors are between 12 and 12.5" approx and there is about a 2" clearance between the caliper and the inside of the rim. So it makes sense that there would be about 1" clearance with the 18" rims (approx)

OK Here is the scoop.

Canadian page is www.ford.ca and go to build and price ford edge lmt awd.

Just went out and checked the wifes edge limited awd and the front rotors are between 12 and 12.5" approx and there is about a 2" clearance between the caliper and the inside of the rim. So it makes sense that there would be about 1" clearance with the 18" rims (approx)

Hi redsvt2001. :D So, are you saying above that your wife has the 20 inch wheels? If that is correct, then we have answered our own question.

If your wifes' Edge has the factory 20 inch wheels and your quick measurement of the rotors shows 12-12.5 inches, that pretty much verifies the information I had found that the front rotors are 12.6 inches, no matter what the wheel size.

Rotor size is brake size. So if a vehicle has 12.6 inch front rotors, it has 12.6 inch front brakes. Simple logic, if you measured 12-12.5 inches, how can they be 17 inches?

Or am I misunderstanding what you meant? :headscratch:

I checked the Ford of Canada site and you are correct, it certainly does say "Includes 17" front brakes". However, as the brake specifications for the high performance (and heavier Expedition) vehicles in my previous post show, that really makes no sense.

Additionally, to jump from a standard 12.6 inch rotor to an optional 17 inch rotor also defies logic.

Hmmmm...a real stumper. :redcard:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi redsvt2001. :D So, are you saying above that your wife has the 20 inch wheels? If that is correct, then we have answered our own question.

If your wifes' Edge has 20 inch wheels and your quick measurement of the rotors shows 12-12.5 inches, that pretty much verifies the information I had found that the front rotors are 12.6 inches, no matter what the wheel size. Simple logic, if you measured 12-12.5 inches, how can they be 17 inches?

Or am I misunderstanding what you meant? :headscratch:

I checked the Ford of Canada site and you are correct, it certainly does say "Includes 17" front brakes". However, as the brake specifications for the high performance (and heavier Expedition) vehicles in my previous post show, that really makes no sense.

Hmmmm...a real stumper. :redcard:

Sorry i forgot to say that i spoiled my wife, so her Edge Limited is fully loaded with the 20" rims, nav, BAMR and anything else it could have. Dark Ink Blue with black leather. Almost looks black on cloudy days.

The Canadian site may refer to the statement "17" front brakes" in the fact that they will clear a common 17" wheel, not the size of the rotors themselves. This is a common automotive practice I have been told. My father has been a mechanic, domestic and foreign, heavy duty etc. for over 25 years.

Sorry i forgot to say that i spoiled my wife, so her Edge Limited is fully loaded with the 20" rims, nav, BAMR and anything else it could have. Dark Ink Blue with black leather. Almost looks black on cloudy days.

EDITED to be clearer and more understandable (I hope). :confused:

Hi redsvt2001. :D Sounds nice!

So your wifes' Edge has 20 inch wheels, and you measured 12-12.5 inch rotors, correct? If you are in Canada, that would corroborate the earlier information that the 20 inch wheels come with approximately 12.6 inch brake rotors, not 17 inch rotors, correct? Or am I still missing something?

It would seem that perhaps "anomatrix" is correct in what he states above. It may be a Canadian measurement dealing with the overall size of the brake package (calipers and all), or the wheel size it will clear? However, it would not seem to be the actual brake rotor size.

Best of luck with your Edge! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

EDITED to be clearer and more understandable (I hope). :confused:

Hi redsvt2001. :D Sounds nice!

So your wifes' Edge has 20 inch wheels, and you measured 12-12.5 inch rotors, correct? If you are in Canada, that would corroborate the earlier information that the 20 inch wheels come with approximately 12.6 inch brake rotors, not 17 inch rotors, correct? Or am I still missing something?

It would seem that perhaps "anomatrix" is correct in what he states above. It may be a Canadian measurement dealing with the overall size of the brake package (calipers and all), or the wheel size it will clear? However, it would not seem to be the actual brake rotor size.

Best of luck with your Edge! :beerchug:

Correct on the rotor size and the whole brake rotor and caliper size seems to be the 17" refranced on ford.ca

Correct on the rotor size and the whole brake rotor and caliper size seems to be the 17" refranced on ford.ca

Whew!!! Glad we finally figured that one out. :hysterical:

I really like that Dark Ink Blue color!

Best of luck with your new Edge, redsvt! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530