2013 ford edge SEL Audio/Navigation Panel hardware upgrade to limited

Did you have an MFT in the SEL or the base 4 screen?

Candurin,

I have the same question for an SE. If i were to replace the radio control panel on the SE with a Sony one from a limited, would that work? The goal would be to free up dashboard space for a big screen. I do not even have sync 1, so I am not sure how feasible a sync 3 swap would be. My idea with a the limited panel swap would be to preserve HVAC controls. Since the SE comes with manual temp and fan speed controls, I was wondering if the panel swap would work (I do not expect auto temp control, just would the buttons to adjust fan speed and temp work?) Thanks for the help!

You can do it. I responded to you in another thread. Youll need a Sony FCIM and Sony ACM.

Youll also be looking to add the A pillar tweeters and subwoofer correct? Youll also need the DSP & amplifier.

Any reason you need to go all the way to the Sony system versus just going the Ford Sync3 route?

Edited by candurin

You can do it. I responded to you in another thread. Youll need a Sony FCIM and Sony ACM.

Youll also be looking to add the A pillar tweeters and subwoofer correct? Youll also need the DSP & amplifier.

Any reason you need to go all the way to the Sony system versus just going the Ford Sync3 route?

I actually do not care or intend to go the sony route. I did not really want to mess with speakers or anything. It just seemed like i have to pic a different faceplate and the sony one in black seemed to match the piano black trim that is already on my dash lol.

In 2013, the base SE (100A) did not have SYNC but the 101A package added it. So based on Ford's estimates, about 45% of 2013 SE models did not have SYNC.

Correct, mine is a 2011 with 101a so it has Sirius satellite radio and reverse parking sensors, but no sync. I was hoping a limited faceplate (maybe that is the same thing as the FCIM?), would at least allow the HVAC controls to work so I would have some real estate up top to a 9" Alpine HALO unit. If I could get a sync 3 swap to work that would be awesome, but I do not know what wiring i am missing to pull that off. The only aftermarket faceplate seems to be that Metra kit, and I am not sure i want to go that route because it places the screen at the bottom of the dash.

Ooooooooh. Sorry, I clearly wasnt getting it.

Well. Silver lining is that you can go truly aftermarket and add Siri, Alexa, google assistant, etc in lieu of SYNC.

The problem is finding a faceplate that will work. The only aftermarket one out there by Metra and Scosche, and they both retain that 4 screen at the top and place a double din opening at the bottom, which is way below normal driver sight lines. Since mine does not even have sync 1, the only thing the 4 screen really displays of any use is the time and temperature. I tried modifying the OEM faceplate, but the whole back of the panel is a giant circuit, so I cant cut a bigger hole than the 4 screen at the top.

If I remember correctly, the reason both aftermarket bezels have the double DIN opening at the bottom is because there is no room in the dash at the top for a full double DIN aftermarket receiver. The OEM solution was to have the display separate from the rest of the system so the extra depth isn't needed behind the screen.