Hate my 2015 Edge- such a disppointment

me1313

First off- thanks for this opportunity to vent.

I’m writing to express my complete disappointment and frustration with my 2015 Ford Edge.

My Edge was one of the unlucky vehicles that suffered from the A-pillar not being sealed. On the fourth day I had the car the driver’s floorboard was a pond. I immediately called the dealership who took the car in and since it was one of the first new Edges sold, Ford did not have a ready solution. The dealer removed the carpet and padding and replaced with new. I visited the car while the ‘repair’ was in progress and saw my brand new car stripped bare with doors open and a fan blowing in it. Meanwhile I made payments and was in continuous contact with Ford. A replacement Edge was offered that was beyond the manufacture dates of the ones that flood, however I would have to pay roughly $2000 MORE to cover taxes title etc. This offer was completely unfair since the car was defective when I bought it. I let the car sit at the dealership while I waited for a resolution that was palatable. None came. Meanwhile I made my payments and paid insurance.

When I finally (reluctantly) picked up my car it was against my better judgment but Ford would not budge and the dealership had done ‘all they could do.’ My concern then (as it is now) was about all the electronics running under the driver’s side where the water had been. The car seemed ok but occasionally would have some quirky behaviors. Weird blinking display(sensors not working etc), the door locks not working, the car acting like there wasn’t a key when it was in the vehicle, etc. Sometimes it was funny like when the doors wouldn’t unlock but the car beeped twice and the tailgate went up, or when I took my girls camping and the tailgate wouldn’t open so we could pack our stuff to leave.

I’ve been back and forth to the dealership trying to resolve the issues but to no avail. At one point I was texting the dealer when the car would do something weird, but then I wondered if this might be some sort of harassment. They could never fix it anyway, even when I made myself late for work so I could drive to the dealership and leave the car running so they could see the crazy things it was doing.

The newest problem happened Saturday morning (interestingly this was after a huge thunderstorm Friday night) when the touch screen didn’t work. We tried a few things we found on the internet to ‘reboot’ the system but nothing worked. I called the dealership and they’ve informed me that the display system is bad and needs to be replaced… in the 3-year old car… that I still make payments on.

I should add that my husband has an F-150 and a Ford Focus. My son has a Ford Focus. My oldest daughter has a Ford Focus. I happily drove a Ford Tempo then a Ford Windstar and now I have the Ford Edge. The dealership where we do business is owned by the family of one of my best friends. It’s a small hometown dealership and we’ve known the people that worked there for most of our lives.

I will be reaching out again to Ford just to see what they say. But my next vehicle will likely NOT be a Ford.

*They DID offer to swap the car when the leak was discovered if I paid AGAIN for taxes title etc. to the tune of @$2000. This was unacceptable- Ford caused the problem.

*The dealership has offered to sell me something else and take the car as a trade. They know the history of the car so I doubt if I'll get anything beyond what is owed on the car IF I'm not in it upside down. My plan was to keep it while the extended warranty was in effect, but there are deductibles with the warranty so I'll be paying something for repairs even though it's not the full amount.

*Lemon law in Virginia:

• Have unsuccessfully undergone 3 attempts at repair.
  • Had 1 attempt at repair of a serious safety defect.
  • Have been out of service for at least 30 days.

Your vehicle will legally qualify as a lemon if any of these these happened within the first 18 months of ownership by the first owner or lessee.

Attempts at repair doesn't qualify since they tried to run codes but the vehicle had to be actually acting up to diagnose. Tried this and they still couldn't get it.

Safety defect doesn't apply.

30 days- wasn't technically out of service since it was still drivable except for when the door locks didn't work or it didn't detect a key so wouldn't start.

Ford did buy back a lot of Edges like yours with the A pillar leak - I think it depended on the severity of the leak and the damage. I don't know if those customers had to pay taxes again. I agree in that situation Ford probably should have just eaten the cost and replaced it with a new one. But on the other hand a lot of those vehicles were fixed and never had problems again.

I hate to say it but if the problems are truly intermittent I would probably trade it in at another dealer or at least get a trade-in appraisal from another dealer - if the nagging problems really bother you. Sometimes that happens with any vehicle - even if it hasn't had water damage.

• Like 1