New member. Tyler Texas

chucky

Hello. I do not own a Ford Edge just yet. I have one on loan from my brother. My 07 PT Cruiser was totaled in a hit and run.i have been driving the Edge for a week, and it was offered to me for $5500.00. It's a 2008 SE front wheel drive. Pretty clean. Every thing works, bout 80% highway miles. What do I need to be on the lookout, considering purchase of this car? Runs great, drives great. No rattles or squeaks. At first I didn't like the car, but have a change of heart. Would appreciate a little input about what to watch out for. Common problems and stuff. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your PT, good luck in your search for the right Edge. How many miles on the 2008? Changing all fluids, tires, suspension bits are likely highest on the list if it otherwise drives well. Change the cabin air filter too :)

Changing tranmission fluid regularly is key to minimizing TSS/OSS sensor issues.

Changing coolant regularly and using full synthetic engine oil will help reduce the possibility of water pump/timing chain issues.

Changing power steering fluid will keep the steering gear running longer.

Wheel bearings were an issue on 2007-8 MYs in particular, so that could be an issue down the road.

Sounds great. Seems to be a pretty sturdy car.

This one has bout 152k on it, and seems to have no unusual noises, drives,stops, and rides fine. Think I'm going to like this car. Any recommendations on cv axle or timing chain, tensioners or anything else I need to be aware of?

Engine: water pump is timing chain driven. If the timing chain develops slack (typically heard as rattle on startup, gets longer over time), it will cause the water pump to wobble. Bad on bearings. Plus the water pump is not isolated from the crankcase. So if it fails/seals leak, the coolant will go straight to the oil pan. Hence the recommendation to pay attention to oil & coolant both. If an overheating situation occurs, pull over as soon as safely possible, do not drive further. This will save the engine, so repairs will be worth it if you don't want to replace the engine.

Engine oil highly recommend FULL synthetic brand name.

Replace the spark plugs ASAP. Inspect, if not replace the coils as well. Overwide plugs lead to failed coils when then fry the PCM. No bueno. Ford has a kit available for cheap with coils, plugs, and intake gasket. I would do the whole shebang and save the original coils if they look good.

Clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. Clean the throttle body too but make sure to disconnect the electrical connector from the TPS first so the throttle blade doesn't snap your finger off :) These parts have not needed replacement en masse yet, but they are aging.

Transmission: watch out for jerky/hard shifts or difficulty accelerating or a blank display on the odometer. This is typical of TSS/OSS sensor failure. Replace both, not one or the other.

Check out trans fluid. If color and condition look good/free of debris, exchange out the fluid performing 3-4x drain/fills. Use Valvoline Full Synthetic MaxLife ATF (yes it iS Mercon V compatible). Certain states like California prohibit aftermarket ATF, but I think you are safe in TX so far anyway :)

Since your Edge is a FWD, you have avoided the failure components that cause so many complaints/headaches LOL.

Brakes/ABS: the most usual complaint is ABS warnings due to cracked tone rings, which CAN be repaired, but per the manual, requires axle replacement. Your choice.

Inspect brakes at least yearly. Clean/grease the slide pins at that time. Inboard brake pads being significantly worn compared to outboard indicates need to replace rotors/pads. Pistons are rarely found to be at fault, but inspect the seals to be sure. Hot weather is heck on paint, rubber, you name it.

Suspension/Body/Steering: Liftgate struts - replace with Sachs or Motorcraft units as needed. Definitely your Edge is ripe for strut/strut mount and shock replacement if not done recently. We get used to a worn down ride over time, you will definitely enjoy the like-new ride!

Inspect for rust spots (prob safe down in TX). Protect with Fluid Film.

Wheel bearings were a weak spot, particularly in the rear. Front wheel bearings are kits now, have to be assembled. Rears are preassembled with hubs. SKF > Timken > Motorcraft. One & done. Most other brands will prove to be inferior.

control arms go Motorcraft. sway bar links go Moog.

Electronics: probably the single biggest one is the BAMR or Vista Roof. If you have it, get into the habit of cleaning/greasing the rail mechanism once if not twice yearly.

Head unit/Sync/BT - better off replacing with aftermarket units with all the gizmos, will probably need a steering wheel control interface etc to go with.

I will plug macbwt's MACTFORDEDGE youtube channel, as it is all Ford Edge all the time LOL. Yes, even moments of fun happen! Even more data on mactgarage.com.

HTH.

• Like 1