Manual shifting of auto matic.

Stumpalump

That has to be my biggest complaint about the Edge, is not being able to control the gears. Living here in Iowa, I don't have the problems with mountains like you do in Colorado, but when I do pull trailers, it would be nice to use the engine a little bit better.

Has anybody dove into the transmission controller electronics to see if we can wire in a toggle switch to manually select the gears we want? It would be nice on the long downhills here in Colorado.

That's possible only if the PCM software already has the logic. I've seen it done on a Lincoln LS where the sport models had the manumatic shifter and the base models did not - you just swapped in a new shifter and reflashed the PCM to think it was a sport model.

Since no versions of the Fusion or Edge have manumatic shifting there is probably no chance of making it work.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lincoln MKS will have the same transmission as the Edge, but with a slightly lower K-factor torque converter and it will have the manumatic shifting capabilities. Job 1 for it was May 5 so keep an eye out for it in the near future at dealers near you. More importantly with regards to this topic is you may be able to derive something from the MKS.

• 2 months later...

I've been driving in the mountains and must say that I like the transmission now. If you take it out of overdrive on a long mountain grade it will automatically keep down shifting to maintain your speed. If I crest Vail pass at 60 and kick it out of overdrive then it will downshift to 5th. If I just keep coasting faster it will shift to 4th when it hits about 64. Let her roll and it will shift tio 3rd all by itself to hold you speed constant. It's just like cruise controll holding your speed but keeping you slowed down instead of at speed. Very cool. it works on small hills also so give it a try and you see how it works.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been driving in the mountains and must say that I like the transmission now. If you take it out of overdrive on a long mountain grade it will automatically keep down shifting to maintain your speed. If I crest Vail pass at 60 and kick it out of overdrive then it will downshift to 5th. If I just keep coasting faster it will shift to 4th when it hits about 64. Let her roll and it will shift tio 3rd all by itself to hold you speed constant. It's just like cruise controll holding your speed but keeping you slowed down instead of at speed. Very cool. it works on small hills also so give it a try and you see how it works.

Have you tried your engine braking (OD off) in the snow? Thx.

Although I like the "Hill descent" feature of the trans, I'd really like to have the capability of manual gear selection. The gears are there but without a way to actively control them, it's a poor compromise.

If anyone finds out more about flashing the PCM to gain that ability, please let me know. I have a small Joystick just waiting for a place to call home.

Although I like the "Hill descent" feature of the trans, I'd really like to have the capability of manual gear selection. The gears are there but without a way to actively control them, it's a poor compromise.

If anyone finds out more about flashing the PCM to gain that ability, please let me know. I have a small Joystick just waiting for a place to call home.

Since none of the Edge versions come with that feature, none of the PCM codesets will have it either. You need the software in the PCM to control it.

That works on cars that offer the feature - you just change the shifter and reflash the PCM.