Heating up? Not as fast?

Andry

I bought my new 08 Ford Edge SE on Friday night and have been driving it over the weekend. But I am comparing it to a borrowed 08 Ford Edge SE that I used from Thursday night to Friday night when I went in to actually get my car. The one I decided to get was the same model, less features for $2K less.

1 - I'm assuming from what I read on the specs that all motors/horse power are the same on all Ford Edges, correct? Then why do I feel a difference on the way the Edge takes off when pressing the gas pedal from the one I borrowed to the one I bought? They are both SE. Both same times and rims. The one I bought feels like I'm driving my Mini-van. I bit heavy.

2 - Not sure if this is normal, I can hear the sound of liquid swishing around underneath me towards the rear of the car. I'm assuming this is the gas in the gas tank? Can others hear it as well?

3 - My brakes sounded as if my traction was on when I was first driving it and has seemed to fade away or I have gotten used to it.

4 - The part that is really scary is that I drove the car 3 miles from the dealer to my house and when I got off, I can barely stand to put my hand on the sides of the hood because it was burning hot. I mean, my husband thought that was not normal. Next day I drive back to the dealer and find that the car smells burnt. I showed this to the sales guy and he said he would have it checked out when I dropped it off on Monday for my leather seat installation. Now, I've been trying to figure out what is causing this burning smell and can't replicate the problem. It is just random and seems to be fading away as the days go by. Like last night we drove from church to home about a 20 mile drive. We got home and I mean the hood was cool. I can comfortably lay my hand on it and it was barely warm. But I went to move it out and back into my driveway trying to reorganize the cars ready for work in the morning, and all of a sudden the hood is blazing hot again. It does not smell burnt anymore, just very hot. The pressure gauge in the dash does not show the car is overheaded.

Any ideas? the car was the only one on sale and makes me wonder if they knew already. It only had 140 miles when driven off the lot.

Thanks.

Andry

Edited by Andry

Is your Edge an All Wheel Drive? That would explain the difference in power.

The hood should be nice and warm after driving 20 miles. BUT not if it was cool and you just moved it a few feet, sounds like an electrical problem. Have you looked under the hood?

I wouldn't wait till next Monday to take it in but if you do you might want to carry a Class C fire extinguisher.

ab

• 2 weeks later...
Is your Edge an All Wheel Drive? That would explain the difference in power.

The hood should be nice and warm after driving 20 miles. BUT not if it was cool and you just moved it a few feet, sounds like an electrical problem. Have you looked under the hood?

I wouldn't wait till next Monday to take it in but if you do you might want to carry a Class C fire extinguisher.

ab

Okay, this is what I have learned since my last post which I forgot to tell the post to notify me in an e-mail when someone replies....

- It is not an AWD nor was the loaner. I'm still wondering if it has something to do with the overdrive?

- The burnt smell and heat was from the leaking gasket of the PTU? Not sure if I'm saying that right but I did find a very long thread about it where many are having this same problem. Mine went away, not sure what this means?

- The swooshing is gone too and the brakes that felt like the traction was on.

- Overall, much better, just still a little dragging, and horrible gas mileage. Must also be the way I drive though.

Okay, this is what I have learned since my last post which I forgot to tell the post to notify me in an e-mail when someone replies....

- It is not an AWD nor was the loaner. I'm still wondering if it has something to do with the overdrive?

- The burnt smell and heat was from the leaking gasket of the PTU? Not sure if I'm saying that right but I did find a very long thread about it where many are having this same problem. Mine went away, not sure what this means?

- The swooshing is gone too and the brakes that felt like the traction was on.

- Overall, much better, just still a little dragging, and horrible gas mileage. Must also be the way I drive though.

What kind of MPG do you get?

Here's our's, I estimate 60/40 (highway/hard core red lights) we drive between 60 and 70 MPH on the highway.

Dealer provided 1st tank was, Computer 18.9 hand calculated 15.4 I suspect the tank wasn't really full.

2nd tank..................... ............Computer 19.9 hand..................20.5

3rd........................................ ...................20.0............ .............18.1

4th............................................ ...............19.7............. ............18.9

ab

What kind of MPG do you get?

Here's our's, I estimate 60/40 (highway/hard core red lights) we drive between 60 and 70 MPH on the highway.

Dealer provided 1st tank was, Computer 18.9 hand calculated 15.4 I suspect the tank wasn't really full.

2nd tank..................... ............Computer 19.9 hand..................20.5

3rd........................................ ...................20.0............ .............18.1

4th............................................ ...............19.7............. ............18.9

ab

I have no clue what MPG I get or how to estimate it. Sorry, I haven't done my research on that part. I hear it's not really great for others who drive an edge anyway, so i don't even bother trying to figure it all out.

Yes, they did fill my first tank.

I have no clue what MPG I get or how to estimate it. Sorry, I haven't done my research on that part. I hear it's not really great for others who drive an edge anyway, so i don't even bother trying to figure it all out.

Yes, they did fill my first tank.

It's right there in the message center - just hit INFO until it shows up. Reset it when you fill up.

It's right there in the message center - just hit INFO until it shows up. Reset it when you fill up.

Oh, I didn't know it had an info center. I lost my manual before I could read it. So, even the SE has an info center? I'll take a look today.