High Pitched Noise - Discovered

bigfoot78

All,

My wife and I just bought our new 2008 Edge and within a week of owning it we started to notice a very high pitched noise/whine from the rear of the vehicle...upon taking the vehicle in (the first time), the tech said he could not hear the noise...

So we discovered that the noise is independent of the A/C, Vent, Radio, Road Speed, etc. and that the noise can actually be heard outside the vehicle as well.

So I took the vehicle in a second time, pointed the tech to the fuel pump (you could hear it a little bit before turning the engine over, dead give away). This time we were informed that the noise is typical and that all Edge's have it.

I took the vehicle in a third time, and within 5 seconds of the engine running, the tech informed me that a few other Edge's have complained about the noise, but indeed most Edge's have it. I was then allowed to sit in a couple other Edge's and to varying degree's they do have the same noise. In discussing with the dealer's customer service rep I was informed that there was nothing else that they could do, since if they replaced the fuel pump, the noise would likely still be there. Possibly even worse than before.

The Service Mgr recommended I send my complaints to Ford directly since there was nothing else the dealer could do unless Ford released a service bulletin/etc.

SO... I've filled in the online form and plan to call the Ford customer hotline and recommend you do the same if you love your Edge and not the noise! Otherwise, no complaints!

• 1 year later...
All,

My wife and I just bought our new 2008 Edge and within a week of owning it we started to notice a very high pitched noise/whine from the rear of the vehicle...upon taking the vehicle in (the first time), the tech said he could not hear the noise...

So we discovered that the noise is independent of the A/C, Vent, Radio, Road Speed, etc. and that the noise can actually be heard outside the vehicle as well.

So I took the vehicle in a second time, pointed the tech to the fuel pump (you could hear it a little bit before turning the engine over, dead give away). This time we were informed that the noise is typical and that all Edge's have it.

I took the vehicle in a third time, and within 5 seconds of the engine running, the tech informed me that a few other Edge's have complained about the noise, but indeed most Edge's have it. I was then allowed to sit in a couple other Edge's and to varying degree's they do have the same noise. In discussing with the dealer's customer service rep I was informed that there was nothing else that they could do, since if they replaced the fuel pump, the noise would likely still be there. Possibly even worse than before.

The Service Mgr recommended I send my complaints to Ford directly since there was nothing else the dealer could do unless Ford released a service bulletin/etc.

SO... I've filled in the online form and plan to call the Ford customer hotline and recommend you do the same if you love your Edge and not the noise! Otherwise, no complaints!

I've got the noise too on my '07 SEL AWD Plus. It's only got 14K miles on it. It is annoying!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

can you wrap it in a deadening sound foam?

This is an interesting idea. I think I'm going to try it, if I can't get some response from Ford on fixing it. If I don't find some way to fix it, the car is going to get traded in or sold. It's unfortunate, as I love everything else about this car!

• 2 months later...