Anyone remove roof rails? What is underneath?

chadgt

Has anyone that has an 08 Edge with factory roof rails removed them to see what is left then underneath in the mounting spots or know what is underneath the mounting spots? The reason I ask is that I had the local dealer do a statewide search for the particular vehicle color/option combo we are thinking about, and some of the search vehicles have the factory roof rails, which we don't like nor want, but I would like to know if the option is available to simply remove them and purchase some replacement molding cap/covers or something if available. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Chad

though I do not have roof rails, going just on what I have seen in the past and had on past cars, and IIRC looking on the lot at one time, you will unbolt them and there will just be the threaded holes/nut in the roof and you can put on a cap/plug from the dealer.

I would be shocked if it was not that simple. if it is not, that implies they have to build different roof systems for those that have roof rails and those that do not. (not to mention yet another roof for the BAMR). I suspect you can buy any non-BAMR Edge without rails and go buy the roof rails and pop up some plugs/covers and bolt them on yourself, so the opposite should be true. They would want to make this stuff plug and play so it makes total sense to have 1 roof for BAMR and roof for non-BAMR and that roof can have rails or not.

I wonder why the dealer can't answer this question for you? they don't know if they can get you the car, remove the rails, put in the caps, deduct the rails from the price, and sell you the car you want? that is odd.

• 2 weeks later...
though I do not have roof rails, going just on what I have seen in the past and had on past cars, and IIRC looking on the lot at one time, you will unbolt them and there will just be the threaded holes/nut in the roof and you can put on a cap/plug from the dealer.

I would be shocked if it was not that simple. if it is not, that implies they have to build different roof systems for those that have roof rails and those that do not. (not to mention yet another roof for the BAMR). I suspect you can buy any non-BAMR Edge without rails and go buy the roof rails and pop up some plugs/covers and bolt them on yourself, so the opposite should be true. They would want to make this stuff plug and play so it makes total sense to have 1 roof for BAMR and roof for non-BAMR and that roof can have rails or not.

I wonder why the dealer can't answer this question for you? they don't know if they can get you the car, remove the rails, put in the caps, deduct the rails from the price, and sell you the car you want? that is odd.

I got the one with rails and really don't want them either. We tried taking them off but didn't know the first thing on what to do. We also realized we did not have the right tools.

I would have loved to have a Copper Spoiler as apposed to rails. I wonder why some cars have black spoilers and some have the same body color tails. I can't even have it painted because it wouldn't be the same texture. :-(

I got the one with rails and really don't want them either. We tried taking them off but didn't know the first thing on what to do. We also realized we did not have the right tools.

I would have loved to have a Copper Spoiler as apposed to rails. I wonder why some cars have black spoilers and some have the same body color tails. I can't even have it painted because it wouldn't be the same texture. :-(

Spoiler color is model dependent (for the Edge anyway, I believe MKXs are all gloss black) meaning SE models come with black spoilers regardless of vehicle color; SEL (I think) and Limited comes with color matched spoilers.

first idea would be to look at the mounting points.. are there little panels on the rails at the juncture with the roof? if so, pop those open and see if there are like hex head bolts. If no panels, look at the roof right next to the mounting point.. are there little doors/panels to pop open as the access to bolts may be on the roof and not on the rails. if neither of these allows access to bolts -- I have seen setups like this on my old VW and my chicks car and several others -- than unfortunately it seems that only leaves through the inside of the car under the roof liner. I would be VERY surprised if that were the access point.. but it could be.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone that has an 08 Edge with factory roof rails removed them to see what is left then underneath in the mounting spots or know what is underneath the mounting spots? The reason I ask is that I had the local dealer do a statewide search for the particular vehicle color/option combo we are thinking about, and some of the search vehicles have the factory roof rails, which we don't like nor want, but I would like to know if the option is available to simply remove them and purchase some replacement molding cap/covers or something if available. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Chad

There is a channel from front to aft on iether side of the roof that needs to be filled with weather strips. When i bougth my roof rails i took them off. I think you should be able to get them ftom dealer.

• 5 weeks later...

There is a channel from front to aft on iether side of the roof that needs to be filled with weather strips. When i bougth my roof rails i took them off. I think you should be able to get them ftom dealer.

I am looking to get some roof rails, if anybody wants to sell, please let me know, will pay through paypal and shipping to 96818. Thanks

I am looking to get some roof rails, if anybody wants to sell, please let me know, will pay through paypal and shipping to 96818. Thanks

Im taking mine off if you want them i have no idea what to charge you. they are off of an 07 edge but like the first post i need to see how they come off

• 7 months later...