SSM 47576 – 2015-2018 Edge – 2.0L EcoBoost – Rattle Noise And Cracked Flexplate

omar302

Some 2015-2018 Edge vehicles equipped with a 2.0L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a rattle noise at idle.

This may be due to a flexplate crack around the crankshaft.

To resolve this concern, verify that the flexplate is cracked around the crankshaft using the inspection plate and a mirror.

If the flexplate is cracked, replace the transmission fluid pump, flexplate, flexplate bolts and torque converter.

Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01A and 307-01.

When replacing the torque converter, ensure that the torque converter pilot hub is lubricated with Multi-Purpose Grease XL-5-A (ESB-M1C930- B) prior to reassembly.

For claiming, use causal part 6375 and applicable labor operations in Section 06 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

2015 – 2018 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE

Source

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2018 at 5:38 AM, omar302 said:

Some 2015-2018 Edge vehicles equipped with a 2.0L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a rattle noise at idle.

This may be due to a flexplate crack around the crankshaft.

To resolve this concern, verify that the flexplate is cracked around the crankshaft using the inspection plate and a mirror.

If the flexplate is cracked, replace the transmission fluid pump, flexplate, flexplate bolts and torque converter.

Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01A and 307-01.

When replacing the torque converter, ensure that the torque converter pilot hub is lubricated with Multi-Purpose Grease XL-5-A (ESB-M1C930- B) prior to reassembly.

For claiming, use causal part 6375 and applicable labor operations in Section 06 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Source

I believe I’m experiencing this issue.by any chance did it still start as normal?  

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if it’s possible to diagnose a cracked/broken flexplate on your own or does it require Ford diagnostics?  If I can save myself $150 on the diagnostics and have a local transmission service center do the fix I may consider it.  Understanding this will void any recall coverage if that should ever happen, but after reading several threads and issues online I’m not optimistic Ford will do anything for us.  For what it’s worth, mine is a 17, 2.0 ecoboost AWD that doesn’t fall into the ~6,000 vehicle recall for 2017’s, just over 69k miles.

Appreciate any feedback anyone may have.

Kris

On 10/17/2018 at 3:38 AM, omar302 said:

3 hours ago, Warehouse_guy said:

Does anyone know if it’s possible to diagnose a cracked/broken flexplate on your own or does it require Ford diagnostics?  If I can save myself $150 on the diagnostics and have a local transmission service center do the fix I may consider it.  Understanding this will void any recall coverage if that should ever happen, but after reading several threads and issues online I’m not optimistic Ford will do anything for us.  For what it’s worth, mine is a 17, 2.0 ecoboost AWD that doesn’t fall into the ~6,000 vehicle recall for 2017’s, just over 69k miles.

Appreciate any feedback anyone may have.

Kris

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Source