Ford Flex transmission question

akirby

I assume it's the same tranny as the Edge. This was posted by ZanatWork over on blueovalforums.com.

Can anyone here help? I assume it's the 6F50.

OK, so...I have a 2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD. It's very "limited" right now, as its transmission gave up the ghost on me a month back. As I'd just lost my job and had other chaos hit at the same basic time, my autumn was off to a less-than-great beginning.

That said, I'm still paying on the car and genuinely love it when it's working. So...once re-employed, I began searching for a replacement transmission. I have a good friend with a shop, we can do the swap...but there's a confounding issue: "early" 2009 Flexes (like mine) take a different version of the transmission than those built after 5/2009...and the later transmissions are both easier to find and much cheaper.

I don't know what the difference is, and no area Ford dealer or transmission shop can seemingly tell me. I have enough in Paypal Credit to get one of the "latter" transmissions (with some warranty, even), but not the earlier version.

HELP?!!?

Yes on the 6F50, but the rest is a bit complicated. Is his Flex FWD or AWD. Looks like only the FWDs have the early/late issue, as the AWDs are showing a production date of 05/2008-05/2010. The later FWD transmission is compatible to the one in the 2009-10 Edge 3.5 version.

Example from FordPartsGiant.com

Part Fitment

Make Model Year Engine Important vehicle option details

Ford Edge 2009-2010 6 Cyl 3.5L 6AT 6F50, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Four-Wheel Drive (Part Time), Front-Wheel Drive

Ford Flex 2009-2012 6 Cyl 3.5L 6AT 6F50, 6AT 6F55, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Front-Wheel Drive

Ford Taurus 2010-2011 6 Cyl 3.5L 6AT 6F50, 6AT 6F55, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Four-Wheel Drive (Part Time), Front-Wheel Drive

Lincoln MKS 2010-2011 6 Cyl 3.5L, 6 Cyl 3.7L 6AT 6F50, 6AT 6F55, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Four-Wheel Drive (Part Time), Front-Wheel Drive

Lincoln MKT 2010-2011 6 Cyl 3.5L, 6 Cyl 3.7L 6AT 6F50, 6AT 6F55, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Front-Wheel Drive

Lincoln MKX 2009-2010 6 Cyl 3.5L 6AT 6F50, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Four-Wheel Drive (Part Time), Front-Wheel Drive

As to the EARLY version of the transmission, only cross-references to the MKS.

9E9Z-7000-ARM
Automatic Transmission Assy
Remanufactured

Fit Note:
3.16 Ratio
Production Date: 05/2008-05/2009

Part Fitment

Ford Flex 2009 6 Cyl 3.5L 6AT 6F50, 6AT 6F55, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Front-Wheel Drive

Lincoln MKS 2009 6 Cyl 3.7L 6AT 6F50, 6AT 6F55, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Four-Wheel Drive (Part Time), Front-Wheel Drive

9E9Z-7000-BRM
Automatic Transmission Assy
Remanufactured

Fit Note:
3.39 Ratio
Production Date: 05/2008-05/2009

Part Fitment

Ford Flex 2009 6 Cyl 3.5L 6AT 6F50, 6AT 6F55, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Front-Wheel Drive

Lincoln MKS 2009 6 Cyl 3.7L 6AT 6F50, 6AT 6F55, Four-Wheel Drive (Full Time), Four-Wheel Drive (Part Time), Front-Wheel Drive

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

No indication of differences. I could go down into the parts detail, usually it is either a change in clutches, or simply standardization across the board. But I do not see why a newer transmission would not work with an early MY Flex. You would have to update the solenoid strategy in the PCM, that would be the major change. Sometimes there are a few minor things like elimination of unneeded mounting points, like they do with engines. Should not affect the control of the transmission by the PCM, or significantly alter the work required to install the transmission.

I will look in the FSM to see if it holds any clues as to differences, and update if I find any. Also will compare parts.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W