Trailer package (electrical question)

I just bought a 2007 ford edge and I have been getting things ordered to equip it for towing. Initially I was told that it did not have the trailering package. So after reading this forum I picked out the Curt hitch (on its way), the electrical harness, 4-7 pin adapter, and brake controller and ordered them.

However, all of that order is on hold because I read this post about the transmission cooler. Upon looking around I discovered that transmission cooler on my Edge!!

Questions:

1. Can I infer from the presence of the transmission cooler that my edge does in fact have the trailering package (with the bigger rad. and oil cooler)?

2. If it does have the trailering package would I also be able to find a 4 wire port for trailer lights mounted in the back of the vehicle somewhere? If so I would just purchase the 4 wire to 7 wire adapter and I wouldn't need the T-One electrical harness from etrailer.

Thanks.

Interesting question this poses.. I will be curious what others report after I report what I see.. because after reading your post and checking that link, I also have that t-cooler in place! plain as day, looking through the lower black molded plastic grill, I can see the t-cooler (as well as all the tubing seen in that pdf document).

So, I am not sure if in fact, it is put there on all Edges or did we get 'lucky' in some way? Though it is a modular piece and they can slap it on, or leave off, in the build process and plumb it into the cooling system if you order the Tow Package, it is odd that we both have that and yet, do not have a tow package - at least, not the hitch.

Do others see it who do not have the Tow Package?

now, besides the t-cooler, there were suppose to be a bigger cooling fan and larger battery IIRC. I wonder if you can in some way verify those as on first blush, this is kind of an interesting find.

If you do not have the trailer hitch and wiring harness with plug you don't have the trailering package.

well, I think that is fairly obvious.. but it does not answer the question as to having the t-cooler, or what looks damn near just like the one in the documentation, but yet not having ordered the official Tow Package. if that is there, he was just wondering what else might be there as it seems that should not be, or do we all have it and in fact, they just add the larger battery, hitch, wiring, fan at order time.

until others post up whether they have no official Tow Package, but yet what looks to be the t-cooler, this is still an interesting mystery

well, I think that is fairly obvious.. but it does not answer the question as to having the t-cooler, or what looks damn near just like the one in the documentation, but yet not having ordered the official Tow Package. if that is there, he was just wondering what else might be there as it seems that should not be, or do we all have it and in fact, they just add the larger battery, hitch, wiring, fan at order time.

until others post up whether they have no official Tow Package, but yet what looks to be the t-cooler, this is still an interesting mystery

I am thinking you don't have it. A trans cooler is not the same as a engine oil cooler and it says oil cooler. I will look on my edge and see, also I will call my buddy at the ford parts counter and see if I can get a look at the parts pics at the dealership. I would like to get the oil cooler, Radiator and fans to install because I want the maximun protection, not that I will tow 3500 lbs but I might get into some mountains and I think it would be wise to have it.

Edited by milkman1960

I am thinking you don't have it. A trans cooler is not the same as a engine oil cooler and it says oil cooler. I will look on my edge and see, also I will call my buddy at the ford parts counter and see if I can get a look at the parts pics at the dealership. I would like to get the oil cooler, Radiator and fans to install because I want the maximun protection, not that I will tow 3500 lbs but I might get into some mountains and I think it would be wise to have it.

:doh: you hit upon it.. now that I think more about this and paid better attention, yeah we have - we all have I bet - a "transmission cooler" and not an "engine oil cooler". the first post got my brain locked into the Tow Package coming with a "t-cooler", but in fact, it comes with an "oil cooler".

They all have T-coolers. It's the oil cooler that's added.

Class II Trailer Tow Package: Class II receiver hitch, engine oil cooler, larger radiator, upgraded battery and cooling fans, wiring harness and 4-pin connector

This is so simple.

Hitch = tow package

No Hitch = no tow package

This is so simple.

Hitch = tow package

No Hitch = no tow package

Well, I was under the impression from reading about this subject that most vehicles don't have stock trans coolers (with a dual fan system). I thought it would be prudent to add a trans cooler, however, I already have it.

I also think that it has been well established that "Hitch != Tow package". But I get your drift.

Now I am wondering how much an oil cooler would cost.

It would be interesting to see pictures of the larger radiator and battery from someone who has the tow package.

(Oh by the way, thanks for the information everybody!)

Edited by bob76

Now I am wondering how much an oil cooler would cost.

It would be interesting to see pictures of the larger radiator and battery from someone who has the tow package.

the bigger issue, besides cost (which I do not think is that expensive), is that a t-cooler and oil cooler is that they mount in a similar place and take advantage of air moving into the radiator to cool their respective parts.. so if the t-cooler is there now, is the factory oil cooler unit integrated in some way, i.e., stacked on top of that factory t-cooler, or what & where would an after-market even go?

so I would also be curious just to see photos of the true oil cooler, radiator and battery from an Edge with a tow package.

the bigger issue, besides cost (which I do not think is that expensive), is that a t-cooler and oil cooler is that they mount in a similar place and take advantage of air moving into the radiator to cool their respective parts.. so if the t-cooler is there now, is the factory oil cooler unit integrated in some way, i.e., stacked on top of that factory t-cooler, or what & where would an after-market even go?

so I would also be curious just to see photos of the true oil cooler, radiator and battery from an Edge with a tow package.

The oil cooler is typically a separate unit mounted next to the radiator.

The oil cooler is typically a separate unit mounted next to the radiator.

I checked on ford parts.com and the oil cooler for the tow package is $113.90. It also listed a oil cooler for a edge without the towing package, it was $66.00.

Must just be a bigger cooler and I am guessing easy to install.

No price for the towing radiator and fans though.