Liftgate Panel Squeak

KennyE

2017 Titanium, FWD. Been tracking down an annoying squeak behind the passenger seats. First thought it was the styrofoam inserts in the spare tire compartment. They do squeak from time to time. I used some foam strips on the cargo area cover. Think that solved that one. But there is a definite, different squeak coming from inside the liftgate itself. If I open the liftgate and shake it just a bit, the noise is right there; inside the interior panel. That brings me to: how do you get that interior panel off? I've looked for vids. Can't find any specific to the 2015-2018 Edge. Anyone got a vid, instructions, etc they'd care to share? Sure would like to take a look inside that panel, see what is going on. It's on the passenger side of the door. Would that be the "right" side? 

This is from the factory service manual: Liftgate Trim Panel.pdf

This is for the removal of the rear light bar: Reversing Lamp RI.pdf I noticed there is sometimes a squeaking noise from rubbing between the lightbar and the rear lift gate. Might want to check it. Pushing on the lightbar against the liftgate would sometimes produce the squeak. Another possibly squeak, is from the pano roof between the glass and the wheatherstripping, especially the rear end, cleaning & silicone spray lube fixes it.

Will look at the rear hooks, too. On the rear panel I got as far as the LG handle. No clue what size those screws/bolts are. Or how to get them out. They are UP in there! With a very narrow access hole. Too small of an access hole for my sockets/extensions. So, for now, I'm sorta stumped. 

Ok, found my smallish, screwdriver like handle. Thanks for the suggestion. They are 7mm. Got the screws out. They hold the back panel on along with the clips. Dropped the panel enough to peek inside. Didn't see anything that should squeak like that. Beginning to think it isn't inside the panel. 

Seems like the screws aren't long enough to hold the panel on properly. ??? Might try to find some slightly longer ones at a hardware store. Or, just put some foam or whatnot on the edge (ha!) of the rear panel. See if that helps.

Just to revisit with a band-aid fix. Not completely sure it was the handle. Think it was more of the panel itself rubbing and creating the squeak. After removing and reinstalling the handle, before tightening the screws I slipped a small rubber washer between the door and the panel. Squeak is gone. At least for now. So, maybe the rubber gasket of some sort will be the final fix. When I figure out how to do that and make it look okay. Right now it just has a washer shoved in it. Needs a good, mountable rubber strip on the end of the inside panel.