2008 SEL AWD First Month Impressions

fishmonger

We bought our Edge last month to replace a 2001 Taurus after my wife was rear ended.

We had it for two days before my wife let me drive it ( she loves it ). I thought something

was wrong with the brakes. A trip to the dealer and in two hours they corrected the problem.

The dealer said it was defective rotors and they changed the rotors and pads. Now the brakes

work like should. The brake pedal is a little soft for my taste, may just be the pads. But the four wheel discs grab and you can feel it squatting and not nose diving like a disc/drum setup. I must admit it is easy to overdrive the thing. Stability control takes over and I find myself driving a little faster than I normally do. And it is something I need to develop some discipline in. The doors all line up, no leaks so far, and I can't tell the if the transmission is changing gears unless I watch the tach. There is some engine noise if you put your foot into it but nothing unusual. One strange thing is the amount of wind noise at highway speed with the windows down. I have talked with people who experienced this strange phenomena with their late model cars. It seems car manufacturers don't want us to drive around with the windows down.

My only real complaint is with the SYNC system. I had to spend $37.00 to buy a cable to get my Ipod to work and it dosen't always sync up when the vehicle is started in the morning. I have to unplug and replug the Ipod to make it work. It also will not index all the songs. It gets confused when I use my cell phone, it tells me I have four different numbers for my home phone. Ah Microsoft. I am thinking about getting a USB hard drive to put all my music on but I heard I will have to do it on a windows computer and all my music is on a Mac.http://www.fordedgeforum.com/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/style_emotico...lt/banghead.gif

The brake pedal is a little soft for my taste, may just be the pads.

Ford brake pedals are always a little spongy but it doesn't affect stopping power at all.

One strange thing is the amount of wind noise at highway speed with the windows down. I have talked with people who experienced this strange phenomena with their late model cars. It seems car manufacturers don't want us to drive around with the windows down.

That's because they're optimizing drag for better highway fuel economy. Plus the fact that almost nobody drives at highway speeds with the windows down anymore.

My only real complaint is with the SYNC system. I had to spend $37.00 to buy a cable to get my Ipod to work and it dosen't always sync up when the vehicle is started in the morning. I have to unplug and replug the Ipod to make it work. It also will not index all the songs. It gets confused when I use my cell phone, it tells me I have four different numbers for my home phone. Ah Microsoft. I am thinking about getting a USB hard drive to put all my music on but I heard I will have to do it on a windows computer and all my music is on a Mac.

What model iPod? Have you checked the syncmyride.com site for compatibility information?

One strange thing is the amount of wind noise at highway speed with the windows down. I have talked with people who experienced this strange phenomena with their late model cars. It seems car manufacturers don't want us to drive around with the windows down.

Hi fishmonger. :D In case you have not already tried it, I can make a recommendation for the wind noise that may help (or may not). :shrug:

When you open your front windows, also crack open the rear windows at least a few inches. By opening the rear windows 4 inches or so, it sometimes helps to equalize the air pressure differential created by the open front windows. You will notice that it will tend to lessen the wind roar and the buffeting created by the open front windows.

Hope this helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Ford brake pedals are always a little spongy but it doesn't affect stopping power at all.

That's because they're optimizing drag for better highway fuel economy. Plus the fact that almost nobody drives at highway speeds with the windows down anymore.

What model iPod? Have you checked the syncmyride.com site for compatibility information?

Fourth Gen Ipod. I've been to syncmyride. I think it's a windows thing.