Big time swirls in black paint ?

7 hours ago, John Rom said:

This turned out to be an interesting thread. I'm going to experiment with the order I'm using the products in and do a spot without compound to see if I could skip that step. That would be a timesaver.

you always start with least aggressive method first, then hit it with an IPA spray to remove any fillers then hit it with a light source to see the progress and make adjustments as needed.

4 hours ago, ben senise said:

you spray your car with beer (India Pale Ale?) ?

what's IPA in detailing lingo, nick?

Isopropyl Alcohol, the reason you do this is because most OTC waxes/compounds/polishes have fillers in them that just hide scratches instead of removing them (hiding scratches is the main purpose of a glaze) so you use the IPA wipe (or Carpro Eraser or Gyeon Prep) to remove any type of fillers to see what it really looks like. This is also why lots of peoples cars look great after they wax it and then a few washes at local car wash (even self washing bays) it starts to look bad again, cause car washes do not use PH Neutral or Balanced soaps so it eats away at the wax.

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

So here's my Audi (wife and kids have the Edge in PA), it's had a rough year, the ceramic is done but living in an apartment for the last year in Hawaii and apartment in Arizona, it's seen better days. I went to this car wash tonight just for this post. I'll be driving cross country in about 2 months as I move to Fort Bragg, so not really to worried about fixing it right now. I just wanted to show that, any car can look great...until you add light to it.
Everything you see on the hood is a reflection of of the roof.
Image may contain: car

Also reflection on rear bumper, not scratches
Image may contain: car and outdoor

just another angle
Image may contain: car

paint looks pretty amazing...This is the biggest scam from rip off detailers right here, posting pics with no light source.
Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and phone

and then you add a light source, not so pretty anymore!
Image may contain: one or more people

looking good!

in reality!

On 3/28/2019 at 7:46 PM, Nick Halstead said:

My main issue is the label "ceramic made easy" false advertisement cause it's more wax, than it is ceramic, it's like having 5 gallons of water and pouring in a shot of pine-sol (without the strong smell..lol)

same with the mothers product that says "coat like a pro the affordable and easy way" marketing words aimed at people thinking they are getting a $2,000. ceramic job for less than $15.

I'm not a professional, it's a lil bit more than a weekend thing for me though but my day to day activities are controlled via U.S. Army. Every weekend for the past year or so I had a different car in my garage getting some type of work done, It was a big leap, cause I never wanted to do other peoples cars, but I did my boss' truck and then his boss saw it and his brand new hellcat with 4,000 miles ended up in my driveway and it spread from there.

I hear you about the false advertising. I genuinely think it was the Megs marketing department that tried to leverage the current "IN" thing in detailing to push the product. I frankly dont care what its called, I applied the second coat to my Mustang yesterday and I am genuinely impressed (will upload a pic in the next post)!

Back in the day, I use to do my family's cars just for the love of it. Thought about doing something on weekends but I am too lazy LOL! 

Clay, 1 Pass Megs UC just to brighten the surface (cant afford to remove too much clear when you live in Albera - you will run out before you sell the car LOL!), 2 coats of Megs HC. The paint is not perfect but the gloss is amazing and it beats like a mofo. Will give Fusso Soft99 a good run for its money.

IMG_20190401_154205.jpg

So far I've done the hood, front fenders an bumper and the rear hatch and bumper.  I found that the UC can be skipped and it works out OK. There's a noticeable difference in the parts I've done. Not perfect, but very good. Plus the satisfaction that comes from doing it myself. Going forward the MKX will either be hand washed or spray washed, so as I own it it will only get slowly better then it is now.