2011 Edge not starting. All 6 coil packs toast. PCM?

FlimFlamboyant

Hello! Throwing a Hail Mary out here, hoping someone can catch it!

I hopped in my 2011 Edge (3.5L) the other day, hit the starter button, heard the engine engage for a split second, only to then die while the starter continued to spin. Tried a few more times with no engine response at all; only the whirring starter. Fuel pump was the first thing that came to mind, but I could hear it whirring when I powered the vehicle on. My mind then turned to the ignition...

I pulled the fuel pump fuse, popped the connector off of one of the coil packs and put a multimeter on it. I hit the starter, and it never budged past a few hundred millivolts. I pulled the coil out and put the multimeter on that... 0.9 ohms across the two terminals, but no reading whatsoever from either terminal to the post; "open loop", according to my meter.

So now I'm thinking wiring harness, or perhaps PCM. Harness looked fine upon visual inspection, so I pulled another coil and tested it. Same thing. Pulled the third one from the front and got exactly the same result. Dreading what came next, I went ahead and pulled the intake manifold so I could get to the remaining 3. All tested the same. There are no visual signs of destruction on any of the coils, but all 6 of them give me an open loop reading from either terminal to the post. Am I crazy/doing something wrong, or can a massive coil driver failure in the PCM ruin all 6 of them in one fell swoop? I had no issues whatsoever before; no problems starting, no hesitation, nothing. It really just died very suddenly.

I don't have a code tester, but I could grab one, I suppose. Question is, how would I test this now that I've taken half the car apart just to get to the coils (thanks, Ford!)? I've checked around town, and apparently, no one in Washington State except a dealer will touch these things, and I know I'll get screwed if I go that route. What now? Ship it off to one of those PCM repair places and hope it's actually the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by FlimFlamboyant

• 1 month later...

What is the mileage on your Edge?

How do you know the battery is bad?  Have you checked CCAs and voltage?  Are the terminals clean n tight?

Since you are getting identical response on all coils and there are no visual indications of issues, it is unlikely that is where the problem lies.

As dragster mentioned, check the starting system, see how many amps the starter is trying to draw.

Any major auto parts store can run battery, starting system, and charging system tests for you for free, some will even pull codes/give you a printout.

• Like 1