MPG & transmission

KathyT

2013 AWD. 

The transmission was shifting strangely and skipping gears at 89,000 miles. I was told I needed the transmission replaced. I opted for a used transmission from a reputable auto parts place (LKQ in Wisconsin) rather than a remanufactured unit since I had planned on selling the car this spring. The new to me transmission has 63,000 miles on it and a brand new torque converter was put in, both by the Ford dealer. The new transmission shifts like the old did a few months ago when I suspected something was amiss. The dealer test drove it and said it is normal  and kept reassuring me there was a 12 month 12000 mile warranty if something bad should happen. I consistently got 24mpg highway prior to the replacement. Driving the same highway route immediately after replacement 4 weeks ago and continuing to this day, I am lucky to get 17mpg highway. The dealer has no answer for that. How can I lose 7+mpg from a transmission change?  

•  
    •  

•  
    Paul
    5 months ago
    Transmission Filter

I have a 2013 ford edge and I wanted to know if the transmission filter ever needs to be changed or are they good for the life of the vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.

•  
    •  

•  
    Marblelar
    about a month ago
    Rear Seat Fold Down

Can the rear seat back be made to lay flat vs slanted upward ?

•  
    •  

•  
    Guru677V
    about a year ago
    Does The 12v Power Shut Down After The Car Is Turned Off With A Timer?
    •  
    •  

•  
    JimRogers13
    4 years ago
    I Don't Have The Power Liftgate And I Wonder If There Is A Way To Open The Tailgat...
    •  
    •  

Related Models For Sale

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

Used Cars For Sale

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.

Discussion-t43491_ds1009459

May be a faulty transmission.  May be incorrect fluid.  May be fluid level is too low.  Assumption also is that all sensors are working correctly.  Not the first time a used transmission has not worked out.  Also, the transmission cooler is supposed to be flushed whenever a transmission is changed.  In addition, the solenoid body strategy has to be updated in the PCM.

There could be engine related issues as well.  But first, pull codes from the PCM, then let's see.

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2019 at 4:54 PM, KathyT said:
2013 AWD. 

The transmission was shifting strangely and skipping gears at 89,000 miles. I was told I needed the transmission replaced. I opted for a used transmission from a reputable auto parts place (LKQ in Wisconsin) rather than a remanufactured unit since I had planned on selling the car this spring. The new to me transmission has 63,000 miles on it and a brand new torque converter was put in, both by the Ford dealer. The new transmission shifts like the old did a few months ago when I suspected something was amiss. The dealer test drove it and said it is normal  and kept reassuring me there was a 12 month 12000 mile warranty if something bad should happen. I consistently got 24mpg highway prior to the replacement. Driving the same highway route immediately after replacement 4 weeks ago and continuing to this day, I am lucky to get 17mpg highway. The dealer has no answer for that. How can I lose 7+mpg from a transmission change?  

•  
    •  

•  
    Paul
    5 months ago
    Transmission Filter

I have a 2013 ford edge and I wanted to know if the transmission filter ever needs to be changed or are they good for the life of the vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.

•  
    •  

•  
    Marblelar
    about a month ago
    Rear Seat Fold Down

Can the rear seat back be made to lay flat vs slanted upward ?

•  
    •  

•  
    Guru677V
    about a year ago
    Does The 12v Power Shut Down After The Car Is Turned Off With A Timer?
    •  
    •  

•  
    JimRogers13
    4 years ago
    I Don't Have The Power Liftgate And I Wonder If There Is A Way To Open The Tailgat...
    •  
    •  

Related Models For Sale

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

Used Cars For Sale

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.

Discussion-t43491_ds1009459

i have a 2013 ford edge sport awd. I haven’t had transmission issues but have noticed 17mpg  on city drives and 20mpg on highway with cruise control on.