Locks stopped working

I have a 2010 Edge SE 2WD. All of a sudden the driver’s side front door lock is the only one that works properly with both the key fob and the switch on the door. The passenger side front only works manually and does not respond to the fob nor the door switch. The two back doors seem to work off and on when they feel like it. I replaced the 20A mini fuse just to rule it out but it didn’t work. Any idea what’s going on? 

Guest Tucker

It wouldn't be the fob battery if the interior switches had the same result. Go up to the doors that aren't locking. Can you hear the locks/motors engaging or trying to engage. Try pushing the lock plungers down manually and using the fob to unlock. I doubt all 3 motors would fail all at the same time so It has to be something simple, such as a wire or secondary fuse. 

There is no engagement on the passenger front side. The two back door locks engage and work sometimes, but not at all on other occasions.

I changed the only fuse associated with the locks, and the key fob battery since it was easy. I don’t think there is a relay for the door locks but correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m afraid it might be the body control module or a bad wire somewhere. A bad wire would be simple if I can find it and don’t have to tear the interior apart. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2019 at 1:36 PM, BMB said:

I have a 2010 Edge SE 2WD. All of a sudden the driver’s side front door lock is the only one that works properly with both the key fob and the switch on the door. The passenger side front only works manually and does not respond to the fob nor the door switch. The two back doors seem to work off and on when they feel like it. I replaced the 20A mini fuse just to rule it out but it didn’t work. Any idea what’s going on? 

I have a 2019 ST purchased in November.  When new I would have intermittent problems with the touch switch for locking/unlocking on the 2 rear doors.  After a few weeks it went away.  Today I am now experiencing the issue BMB had.  The only door switch working is the driver door for locking/unlocking.  Key fob locks and unlocks, interior switch works, and the keypad on the door panel all work.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bill

My 2013 Ford Edge locks to not lock. It first started when the remote stopped working. Now the locks... unlock when trying to use the door lock in the car...to lock up. Anyone have a clue as to what to do?

Guest Scott Iowa

I am looking for a solution to a similar issue on my 2007 MKX.  None of the doors react to the key fob.  You can hear the fob trying to engage the actuators but they do not unlock.  I am going to try replacing the key fob battery.  I am thinking in the past there was a way to fix this by disconnecting the battery for 15 mins or so and then reconnecting.  Once reconnected there were some pedal or key turn sequences we used to clear and it worked.  

OP here. Both the oil pump and brake master cylinder went out within a day or two of each other, before the lock issue was resolved. I travel a lot for work and just couldn’t rely on it anymore so I gave up and traded it in. Sorry I couldn’t find and post a solution. 

OP here. Both the oil pump and brake master cylinder went out within a day or two of each other, before the lock issue was resolved. I travel a lot for work and just couldn’t rely on it anymore so I gave up and traded it in. Sorry I couldn’t find and post a solution. 

• 6 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 12:22 PM, Iroc90 said:

I have a 2019 ST purchased in November.  When new I would have intermittent problems with the touch switch for locking/unlocking on the 2 rear doors.  After a few weeks it went away.  Today I am now experiencing the issue BMB had.  The only door switch working is the driver door for locking/unlocking.  Key fob locks and unlocks, interior switch works, and the keypad on the door panel all work.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Did you ever resolve this? My 19' Edge ST, which I purchased new, started doing the exact same thing after about 18 months of owing it. Only the driver's door consistently locks / unlocks with keyless touch. The other doors work intermittently, but most of the time do not work. Tonight I disconnected the positive terminal on the battery for about and hour and and after reconnecting it I tested the doors and they all work. Time will tell if it continues to work consistently.

Guest Retired Reader

How often do you drive - how far - what's your annual mileage? I only drive about 5000 km a year and most of that is short trips around a small town. My first warning is the failure of my auto stop/start - the little symbol on the instrument display is gray instead of green - and if I ignore that and do nothing, the next thing is the failure of the keyless locks on the front passenger side door and the two rear doors. I also notice that the radio will play for only 1 minute instead of 10 when parked with the ignition off. All of these failures are caused by a low battery. With all of the electronics in my 2019 Edge Titanium, it requires more driving than I do in order to keep the battery up to optimum charge, and the computer starts shutting down features in order to retain sufficient power to start the vehicle. I either have to take the vehicle for a long drive or hook up a battery charger for 3 - 4 hours, then everything works again. Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

i think my problem was similar to Guest Retired Reader.  I don't drive it much and I notice the Auto-stop-start won't function unless it is driven a lot.  Also, the rear seat fold down button is one of the first to stop functioning if the battery is low.