AWD Catback system

• 2 months later...
So was pokoing through summits catalog online and saw this system it says it fits AWD models, but from what i`ve read here earlier they don`t fit AWDs? does anybody know for sure? thanks

IT WILL NOT FIT FOR SURE UNLESS YOU MODIFY IT TO FIT UNDER THE REAR SWAY BAR.

Gibsob Performance says that their engineers spoke directly to Ford and they were told that the rear ends on the FWD and AWD are identical but as an owner, this is not true. You do not have the rear drive train to work around on the FWD. Gibson just told me to return ny Cat Back but I am going to modify the rear muffler section and extension pipe to fit. SHould have it done tomorrow. Sucks that they advertise it as a direct bolt on for the AWD without the proper R&D.

Gibsob Performance says that their engineers spoke directly to Ford and they were told that the rear ends on the FWD and AWD are identical but as an owner, this is not true. You do not have the rear drive train to work around on the FWD. Gibson just told me to return ny Cat Back but I am going to modify the rear muffler section and extension pipe to fit. SHould have it done tomorrow. Sucks that they advertise it as a direct bolt on for the AWD without the proper R&D.

so you now have to add 3-4 bends then? like a "U" to go around the rear drive train?

A big company like Gibson putting stuff like this on the market doesn't say much for them. How do they know if their products work/fit the application if they don't actually install one?

I installed the Gibson last night and it looks and sounds great. There are actually no more bends in the exhaust than stock. I will try to post some pictures and maybe even a sound clip if I can. I thought about the Magnaflow but from what I heard the Gibson sounds a little throatier and less high pitched.

I installed the Gibson last night and it looks and sounds great. There are actually no more bends in the exhaust than stock. I will try to post some pictures and maybe even a sound clip if I can. I thought about the Magnaflow but from what I heard the Gibson sounds a little throatier and less high pitched.

I'm trying to decide between Gibson and Magnaflow for my FWD 08 Edge but havent been able to find a sound clip of the Magnaflow.

has anyone heard their system for the Edge?

Any more pics or sound clips of the Gibson setup would be great too! :)

thanks

I would hope it has less bends than stock...

a sound clip would be great and useful

A big company like Gibson putting stuff like this on the market doesn't say much for them. How do they know if their products work/fit the application if they don't actually install one?

Agreed, and how are we to believe there's any power increase, or do we loose low end torque like the 'slowmasters' do for the F150 guys... Anyone find any dyno results comparing the power curve to the stock setup for the Gibson ?

• 1 month later...

Ya, I'm always worried about opening up the exhaust on a Naturally Aspirated car. You can loose some of the back pressure and actually have detrimental power effects. On a Turbo engine, it doesn't really matter as the turbine provide the needed exhaust pressure. I would think we would have better results for gaining power with modifications to the intake rather than the exhaust.

A very dirty rule of thumb is that a pipe will flow 115cfm per square inch of cross-sectional area. You need 2.2cfm of flow capacity per horsepower.

I.e.

A = pi * radius ^2 = (diameter^2 * pi) /4

For a 2 inch pipe

= (2'^2 * pi) /4 = 3.145 square inches

HP = (A * 115) / 2.2= (115cfm * 3.145sq. inch) /2.2 = 163.4 hp.

[EDIT: I was an idiot and forgot to account for the 2.2 cfm per hp portion. I have corrected this oversight]

So from a flow perspective a 2 inch pipe should be able to flow the gasses up to about 163.4 hp. Obviously though, bends and restrictions have a negative effect on the flow and lower the number. Hence why it is a "dirty rule of thumb". I think once we start reaching ~75% [~123.3+ hp] of that flow amount it is a requirement to upgrade pipe sizes. Also remember this is talking about a single exhaust pipe... not a dual exhaust.

So if we are running 1.75' dual pipes that is roughly 125.7 hp per pipe... or combined flow of 251.5 hp... just to give an idea. Also, this is Crank HP and not Wheel HP. Anyone know the diameter to our exhaust pipes on the AWD Edge?

Which to means we will see minimal gains for the price... but that is just me. I think we can get more bang for the buck by a straighter intake track and with a cooler air charge.... and I don't mean a suppressed Cold Air Intake that has a filter hanging out in the engine bay sucking in air off the engine and after the radiator. I mean a real system that has a large flow snorkel drawing in air from outside the engine bay.

Edited by Splitpi

• 7 years later...