Problems with warning lights on a trip? 08 MKX

John Rom

I was driving from PA to NJ to see the grandkids and had trouble on the way. I'm hoping to get some help so I can try again Friday.

I stopped for a meal about half way there, and about ten miles back on the road this happened:

First was the speedometer dropping to zero and the message saying there was an odometer error.

Second was an airbag warning light and the reduced power wrench lit up but I was still moving fine at 70 MPH.  I chose to return home at that point if I could. As I left the highway to make a U turn the tire pressure warning light lit up plus I could feel the power reduction system working. I stopped to check for a flat and turned it while I checked the tires.  When I started it back up all the lights were off, so I started off again. The shift from the transmission was very hard, but after that it ran fine all the way home. I hooked my sort of cheap scanner up to see what I could see and came up with nothing, but I'm thinking that these warning lights have to do with the body control computer and I don't think my scanner can get into that.

What do you think?

Oh no!  Classic TSS OSS sensor (transmission) problems.  Best to not drive it anymore till they are replaced.  About 4 hrs worth of labor, + maybe 150$ in motorcraft sensors.

Codes won't necessarily set.  Depends on how bad it is allowed to get.  At this point, it is not really hurting the internals of the trans.  Allowed to continue, it definitely will.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Oh no!  Classic TSS OSS sensor (transmission) problems.  Best to not drive it anymore till they are replaced.  About 4 hrs worth of labor, + maybe 150$ in motorcraft sensors.

Codes won't necessarily set.  Depends on how bad it is allowed to get.  At this point, it is not really hurting the internals of the trans.  Allowed to continue, it definitely will.

Thanks for the info. Never good to see a post that starts with "Oh no", but it could have been worse. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

So I put it in the shop to get it checked out. Shop went into the computer and found a few odd codes and one for the OSS that he said was old. I don't know how he could tell, but I'm not an expert on this stuff. I gave the shop a good description of what happened, and he suspected a glitch in some modules and to keep driving it to see if it happened again.  After the info WWWPerfA_ZN0W posted ( Thanks again ) and some research on U-Tube I ordered the parts and today it's in the shop so he can replace both sensors. His plan was that if it happened again he was going to check the whole system for a bad connector or module.  I told him to replace the parts because I have some trips planned and had to rely on the car not breaking down somewhere in Tin Can TN.

• Like 2

A "glitch" is usually due to a failing sensor (one of 3 in the main control panel), or solenoid in the solenoid body assembly.  Have your mechanic check the SBA's electrical properties, make sure each solenoid has a resistance of under 5 ohms, etc. If the work has not been done already.  Also advisable to change the solenoid body filter at the same time, but a good cleaning should suffice if the fluid is clean.

• Like 1

I've given up on this guy. I went there yesterday afternoon since he hadn't at least called me the day before with an update. He told me he replaced the two sensors and put it back together and now it won't shift. He has to take it apart to see what he did wrong.

This is starting to remind me of the old commercial when the mechanic says (Wow boss I get to fix a transmisyone ).

He called this morning saying it was done. I was really nervous over this this but it drove fine on the way home and during a little longer test drive.  I asked his mechanic what he did to get it going, and he said he took it back apart and disconnected everything they touched, reconnected it and it started working.

The total total bill including a tranny fluid and filter change was just over $320 plus $104 for the parts. Less than I expected.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 4:17 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Good to be back in business :)  But there is no filter except the solenoid body filter that is replaceable during a service such as this.  Please post a copy of the invoice (redacted) if it's ok.

I'm not computer smart enough to post a picture, but here's what shows on the bill.

5 qts synthetic trans fluid roughly $30.00

labor to replace the tss and oss   $274.00

Plus $ 104.00 for Motorcraft sensors.

Bill isn't showing a filter replacement.

Edited by John Rom
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...