How do you turn of the interior lights when door is open?

I went to the Drive In and had the rear lift gate open but could not get the interior lights and puddle lamps to turn off. I got so frustrated I just pulled the fuse for the interior lights for a quick fix, but I need to know how to turn them off properly. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks for your help, now I don't feel like an idiot. It will be easier to just take the Escape to the Drive In instead next time.

Hey Lex, I found an easier way to turn off the interior lights while at the drive in. The light switch for the liftgate is inside the latch mechanism, so I used a screwdriver to close the latch and presto, the lights turned off with the keys in the ignition so I could listen to the radio!!

Hey Lex, I found an easier way to turn off the interior lights while at the drive in. The light switch for the liftgate is inside the latch mechanism, so I used a screwdriver to close the latch and presto, the lights turned off with the keys in the ignition so I could listen to the radio!!

well isn't that a prime example of Occam's razor... well done. mine is much cooler :) but yours is much easier (well mine is pretty easy now that I have a switch to flip I suppose)... so, when you went to close the lift-gate, I assume you just hit unlock to open the latch mechanism so it did not slam down on the catch?

well isn't that a prime example of Occam's razor... well done. mine is much cooler :) but yours is much easier (well mine is pretty easy now that I have a switch to flip I suppose)... so, when you went to close the lift-gate, I assume you just hit unlock to open the latch mechanism so it did not slam down on the catch?

That's right, I'm sure it would make terrible thud if I didn't unlock it first.

I read some of your posts and it seems you are pretty happy with edge. That is good news for me since I work at the Oakville plant where they are assembled. They are selling really well and can only hope the Flex does as well.

• 8 months later...

I attend star parties out in the desert where any white light will ruin your dark adapted vision. So, while waiting ten minutes will shut off those lights as soon as you open a door (or roll over while catching a few winks causeing the rear hatch to wiggle) the lights come back on.

Interior lights, the puddle lights under the mirrors, tail lights - it's quite a show.

There are no less that five fuses I have to pull to get all the fancy lights off so I don't disrupt other observers. It would be nice if Ford had an Astronomy Function mode to darken all these lights.

I attend star parties out in the desert where any white light will ruin your dark adapted vision. So, while waiting ten minutes will shut off those lights as soon as you open a door (or roll over while catching a few winks causeing the rear hatch to wiggle) the lights come back on.

Interior lights, the puddle lights under the mirrors, tail lights - it's quite a show.

There are no less that five fuses I have to pull to get all the fancy lights off so I don't disrupt other observers. It would be nice if Ford had an Astronomy Function mode to darken all these lights.

but if you make a fuse system like I did, which might be perfect for a guy like you you could have flip switches to shut them all of quickly.