2013 Underboost

RobRoye

Hello Everyone. Just asking. I have 2013 echboost that has been giving me an underboost code for about 9 months, it would clear itself then reappear under heavy accelration. Now the ch engine light will not go away, unless I reset it, and then will come back on after 20 or so miles. I am starting to get some underpower also. What would you do first? also how do I get the engine cover off? Never had to work on my edge until now..

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Hello & welcome!

What is the code you are getting?  Most likely you will need to replace the turbo because of wastegate actuator failure.

Doesn't the waste gate actuator come as a separate part on these like say a Focus ST? Seems easier to replace if that was the failure point.  And aren't they controlled by a vacuum solenoid of some sort?

The linkage for the actuator, the part inside the turbo housing is typically what breaks.  Are you perhaps referring to the wastegate/BOV itself?  I am not familiar with the F-ST turbo setup, but generally EB turbos have integrated actuators.

Here is a pic from Turbosmart

product_iwg_uni1.jpg

The linkage that breaks is highlighted in the attached pic

Dorman 667-227 2-0L Turbo_5 2.jpg

Ecoboost 2-0L turbo wastegate failure.jpg

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1