Lift gate Latch issues

Walsh2012

Hello everyone, I’m having an issue with my 09 Sport. When driving down the road and I hit a bump, my dash would ding and say “Lift gate ajar”. Ford suggested a new latch. ($335). Replaced the latch, and it still does it. I’ve tried repositioning the striker a million times to no avail. I have unplugged the sensor strips on the outside, and put jumpers on the plugs to keep the connection closed. No luck. 

Is there a way to bypass this??

thank you in advance

-Chris

Couple of ideas.

First press the SETUP button until POWER LIFTGATE ON OFF is displayed.  Does the "ON" or "OFF" have the "[ ... ]" brackets around it indicating the desired selection? 

If Yes, the system is operating normally at this time and the problem may have been caused by a momentary loss of communication with the LTM. If there are no brackets, try pressing the RESET button to allow the IC to query the LTM again. (If still no brackets, there is a malfunction and will need a scan tool to diagnose further.)

The second thing I would suggest, especially since you changed hardware, is to go through a Power Liftgate Initialization procedure. (Basically this should be performed whenever you realign the striker or do any alignment on the liftgate.)

NOTE: Make sure the power liftgate system is turned ON in the message center before performing this step and that the Liftgate must be in the closed/locked position before starting.

To start, first remove power from the LTM (Liftgate Module) for 20 seconds. Do this by either disconnecting the vehicle battery or removing the fuses controlling the power to the Liftgate (module & controller). There are two fuses that need to be pulled. The first is in the SJB (in cabin, near floor) and the second is in the Battery Junction Box (in the engine compartment).  SJB fuse #14 (10A) supplies battery logic power required for the software, clutch and internal switching operations; and power is supplied to the motor by fuse #59 (30A) in the Battery Junction Box (BJB).

After 20 seconds, reconnect the battery or replace the fuses and then power open the Liftgate by using the key fob or control switch. Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch. The Liftgate is now re-initialized.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a similar issue. I have a 2010 Edge Limited AWD. It does NOT have a powered lift gate. Anyways, the vehicle was a salvage because it was rear-ended. The damage was repaired, but the alignement for the lift gate is not perfect. Same thing happens to me when I hit a bump in the road. The liftgate "ajar" alert triggers. Loud beeping and interior lights come on. Even to the point where the vehicle can be parked and the "ajar" sensor triggers. This is causing my battery to be drained. If my car sits idle for more than 24 hours, good luck starting it... 

I have seen videos on disabling the sensors for doors and tried to apply it to the liftgate. That did not work and now the button to open the liftgate won't work either. Should I try this "liftgate" reset proceedure before replacing the button switch? Can the "ajar" sensor be disabled? There are white, yellow, black, and green wires that go to the latching assembly. I tried disabling the "green" wire by grounding it to the liftgate (as directed by a youtube video, but for a door).

Please help!

• 2 weeks later...

The lift gate reset procedure is for a powered lift gate. (Theres no mention of a non-powered liftgate in the 2010 service manual)?

Anyway, this sounds more of a mechanical issue. I would try adjusting the stiker plate.

From the service manual,  loosen stiker bplts, reposition door latch striker plate from side-to-side or up and down as necessary. Tighten bolts to 18 ft-lb.