2008 Ford Edge PCM setting code P0012

Angstu

I have a 2008 Ford Edge, with roughly 95,000 miles on it. The engine has been riding rough lately and making rattling noise while in drive. Took it to my mechanic and he said that the motor oil burned out and as he checked the stick, there was no oil visible. It took roughly 4 quarts of oil to get it to register on the oil stick. Mechanic said I need a new engine. Has anyone else had this problem? The Check oil light never went on prior to this. My options are to spend $4600 on a used engine, or salvage the car. Any suggestions?

4600???  wow, you really should check out car-part.com for yourelf and see the plethora of used engines available.  Even with labor it should not cost more than about $2,500 or so!

How long has the rattling sound been going on?

Rattling noises while driving is your main issue.  It is possible the VCT solenoids and or timing chains and or cam position sensors and or cam phasers are damaged and not working correctly.  You would have to run diagnostics to figure it out, but with the rattling and the oil level being so low, a replacement engine is your best bet.

Thank you so much for the insight. The rattling has only been happening for a few days. I took a snapshot of the issues the mechanic noted in the invoice. Any chance you can take a look and see f that matches what you were thinking? I really appreciate your time! 

8111570C-DED6-4FA3-A4EE-57C38B4E8E26.jpeg

That is just a diagnostic routine, but yes, he was testing the VCT solenoid.  The fix would be to replace the solenoid.  But I think he was taking the complete picture into consideration when he recommended replacing the engine.  Primarily due to low oil and rattling while driving. No telling what internal parts have failed, or will fail shortly down the road.  The vehicle should not be driven while this sound is present.

How long did you have on this oil?  Time & miles since the oil change?  Do you know what oil and filter were used when the oil was changed?  Draining the oil first would have revealed if the oil has thickened.  Now that it is topped off, you will have to send a sample to a testing lab such as Blackstone Laboratories to see if any internal damage has been done.  If the analysis turns out good, then you still have a choice between replacing the timing components and replacing the engine.  I would replace the engine with a used one, update the timing components and water pump, and go about my merry way.

Check engine lights indicate major problems, they will not indicate problems in progress.  For that you have to regularly inspect your vehicle, as well as scan the PCM for codes.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately, there was roughly 15,000 miles since the last oil change and roughly about 15 months or so. The car is still in drivable condition but we don't want to cause more damage. The car is paid for and in relatively pristine condition everywhere else, so it's a tough sell to just salvage it. Really appreciate your feedback. Love these forums!

• Like 1