My MPG

dckotwicki

I own a 2007 Edge FWD.

It now has about 8,250 Miles on it.

I use Mobil One 5/20 synthetic oil.

Early on I was very dissapointed in the fuel economy. My wife drives less than 3 mile each way to work in stop n go traffic and the mileage was around 13-14 MPG. My initial thought was... Oh my God, what have I done!

I have noticed recent improvements with more miles on the vehicle.

My wife and I recently took a couple day holiday from the east side of Michigan to the west side. I used this as an opportunity to really look at the fuel economy.

On the way there we encountered heavy rush hour traffic on I-96, sometimes coming to a complete stop. Approximately 25% of the 200 miles was heavy traffic. Once rolling, I set the cruise at 68 MPH. We ended up getting 23.5 MPG. The next day, with driving around Saugatuck, MI and the surrounding area the mileage dropped to 22.5 MPG.

On the way back, I reset the mileage indicator and with better flowing traffic got 26.0 MPG. This included 3 excursions off the freeway. Again, the cruise control was set between 65 and 70 MPH.

Conclusion...

If you are a heavy footed driver, you can get stinky mileage.

If you drive in a manner to try to get better MPG, your mileage will improve.

It is my guess if you were to take this vehicle on a cross country trip and use the cruise control AND drive as if gasoline IS expensive 26 to 28 MPG is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. I get the same type of mileage #'s you have and only have 3300 miles on it. Just changed my oil with Mobile 1 yesterday and am going to the Outerbanks next week. Lot of open road to see how it does. I think a heavy foot is the main problem. Got to admit it's fun, but I enjoy the difference between the Edge and the F250 deisel I traded for it in reduced cost to operate.

Edited by Mountain Tripper

• 2 months later...

Just got back from a 3000 trip from Arizona to Montana, taking interstate 15 for most of the trip and a side trip to Yellowstone.

Got 25mpg average for the whole trip with a high of 28mpg on one fill on the way back. A low of 22mpg on a fill that had a lot of time in Yellowstone and one leg with lot's of city time in Missoula.

2007 Edge with 17K when the trip started, Mobile One syn. oil.

Only used the cruise control on one section going into Provo otherwise I prefer to be light footed, ease up hills, gain a bit of speed on the down hill side with an average on the freeways of around 72mph. Oddly enough this seemed to be the behaviour of the rest of the traffic as we passed as many folks that passed us for the most part with few people going real fast.