Giving Back

Gadgetjq

I'm officially one week into ownership of my (new to me) '16 Edge Ti and I've learned a 'lot' from this forum.  I think it's time I gave a little back so here are a few photos of 'improvements' I've made where photos weren't available before.

1. There's a discussion about the cabin fuse box.  Some asked about access, others about which fuses to use for accessories.  Someone suggested crawling under the dash on your back and reaching up to the fuse box.  I'm 71 and needed an alternative ;) I'll show you my solutions with photos.

I've installed a dash cam that uses two circuits, one switched for the normal continuous shooting mode, the other 'always hot' for parking security.  I ended up using fuse 35 (labeled as a spare) for the switched circuit and 26 (passenger switch illumination) for the always hot.  (photo below) A couple of reasons for these choices:

1. They're both in the left row so easier to reach
2. The add-a-fuse can be oriented properly (yes, there's a right and wrong way to use these) so the added fuse is protecting the accessory and not drawing juice through the 'primary' fuse.

In both cases I pulled the original fuse using a long needle nose forceps (Harbor Freight, see pic below) gaining access through the (removed) change cubby portal.  That drawer is only held in the dash by four metal clips (see photo).  If you open the drawer and stick your hand inside (palm up) then pull toward the rear of the car those clips will release no muss, no fuss.  Shove a good light up under the dash and you'll be able to see the fuse box easily.  Just so you can get oriented, in the fuse box photo the 'top' of the box is at the left side.  I couldn't get a decent angle with a camera.  Here's a link to the add-a-fuse that works in the 15 and later Edge.

add-a-fuse.jpg

change_cubby_out.jpg

forceps.jpg

Edited by Gadgetjq
Added link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 4 years later...