Aftermarket Head Unit in 2008: SOOO Easy!

New to the Forum. Just wanted to post a few pictures of my the new head unit in my wife's edge. I have been installing car audio on the side for the last 17 years and this is by far the easiest car I have installed a head unit in. I am anxiously awaiting my headrest dual DVD players. I will post the pictures when I get them installed. As for the install, what a breeze. If you do not know the radio cover/heating controls comes off in one piece (way to go Ford engineers). A simple tug at the bottom with a flat head and poof! Four bolts and the head unit is out. A crutchfield adapter, etc. and it's finished. I made a few modifications to the storage compartment. :happy feet:

post-4234-1216156045_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216156071_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216156090_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216156108_thumb.jpg

New to the Forum. Just wanted to post a few pictures of my the new head unit in my wife's edge. I have been installing car audio on the side for the last 17 years and this is by far the easiest car I have installed a head unit in. I am anxiously awaiting my headrest dual DVD players. I will post the pictures when I get them installed. As for the install, what a breeze. If you do not know the radio cover/heating controls comes off in one piece (way to go Ford engineers). A simple tug at the bottom with a flat head and poof! Four bolts and the head unit is out. A crutchfield adapter, etc. and it's finished. I made a few modifications to the storage compartment. :happy feet:

Does the Clarion come with the BT built in?

nice.. but the hole for the USB cable looks pretty hacked in that first photo :) I would expect a cleaner, more round hole from a vet like you :P

It is a little hacked, but I could not get a drill in the space provided by the removal of the heating controls. I have a dremel tool to clean it up a little. I just wanted to get it together and working for my wife to take to work tomorrow.

Does the Clarion come with the BT built in?

Yes, it does. It works great as a hands free device but I am having trouble getting it to dial numbers from the screen. As far as sound, it is great. I am calling Crutchfield and/or Clarion tomorrow for a little extra help. So far I am happy with everything else.

It is a little hacked, but I could not get a drill in the space provided by the removal of the heating controls. I have a dremel tool to clean it up a little. I just wanted to get it together and working for my wife to take to work tomorrow.

no worries just teasing.. you might consider a smaller more flush mounted rocker switch versus that toggle. seems with the rocker, like one I used below for another application.. it would at least allow the use of that cubby hole still.. seems you kind of loose that due to the toggle switch sticking out into it.

post-2453-1216215027_thumb.jpg

Whats the toggle for anyways????

I have the Ohio Revised Code on DVD and would like to review it while I am driving (you can never know too many laws), this switch allows me to watch a dvd, for educational purposes only on my 14 hour trip to the house of mouse coming up soon, while I am driving. :yup:

This switch also helps in performing Bluetooth operations while the car is in motion. Of course for emergency phone calls only, i.e. police, pizza, mother-in-law!

I like the rocker switch better Lex. When I clean up the Ipod hole I might just switch that out. The one I used was the finest Wal-mart had to offer at the time.

DVD headrests come tomorrow. My son is counting down the moments until he can play Playstation in mommy's car like he can in daddy's.

• 2 weeks later...
If you do not know the radio cover/heating controls comes off in one piece (way to go Ford engineers). A simple tug at the bottom with a flat head and poof! Four bolts and the head unit is out.

can you expand on this a bit.. did you literally just start to pull the silver center dash piece out at the bottom - right above the cubby - and it popped free like a door panel? any issues with scaring the silver paint on that center console piece when using a flat head? did it pop fit right back in like a door panel?

can you expand on this a bit.. did you literally just start to pull the silver center dash piece out at the bottom - right above the cubby - and it popped free like a door panel? any issues with scaring the silver paint on that center console piece when using a flat head? did it pop fit right back in like a door panel?

As far as the in and out, it is held on by pressure clips so it literally pops off and pops back in with ease. Take a flat head, if you are worried about scratching cover it with a washcloth from the kitchen, ease it in behind the silver piece at the bottom about an inch, pull out and it should pop out. It is one big piece all the way up to the rubber pad at the top on the dash.

Hope this helps.

As far as the in and out, it is held on by pressure clips so it literally pops off and pops back in with ease. Take a flat head, if you are worried about scratching cover it with a washcloth from the kitchen, ease it in behind the silver piece at the bottom about an inch, pull out and it should pop out. It is one big piece all the way up to the rubber pad at the top on the dash.

Hope this helps.

cool... what I expected, just wanted to be sure before I try to pry it open