PTU and warranty

jmvdude

Hello,

i just recently bought a 2016 Edge Sport AWD with 30,000 miles. Unfortunately, it was about one month out of its bumper to bumper warranty when I purchased, but still has 23 months and 20,000 or so on the powertrain warranty. 

I was kinda disheartened to read about all the PTU issues after I purchased. I’m happy to replace with higher-grade fluids and change more frequently, but my main question is; should I expect to be able to have this part inspected, repaired, or replaced under my powertrain warranty? 

I was hoping there would would be an informative sticky thread with general info about the issue, but since there’s not, can anyone give me a concise summary of what I should look for to indicate that problems may be arising, and how to best tackle that within the structure of my warranty?

i appreciate any help or advice that anyone can give. 

Thanks,

Jason

Inspections are not covered under warranty.  I am not advocating lying but if you are so inclined you can tell the dealership that you are getting a very strong odor and intermittent noises from what you suspect to be the PTU.

They may or may not charge you. If they charge you and your PTU is at fault they will reimburse you. Some dealerships charge upfront for inspection of warranty claims and others do not. 

Or you can change your fluid, and run it for a few hundred miles with a few high speed runs in between and drain and refill. You can send a before and after sample out to Blackstone laboratories to see the condition of the fluid.  That will also be a strong indicator to the condition of the PTU as well. 

• Like 1

If ANYTHING is leaking it will be covered by the warranty, except maybe your washer fluid.  The dealer's don't decide what get's covered under warranty, Ford does, though with good dealers Ford will trust the dealer to make the judgement, but ultimately if you disagree with the dealer, you can take it up with Ford.  Known issues or not-known issues do not change the status of warranty coverage.  But you can't just go in and say "I hear others have problems with XX, so please fix it on mine".  You have to actually have a problem for anything to be covered.

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 2