15 Edge Hatch Stuck Closed

Bumpin96monte

I've got a 2015 Edge with the power hatch which has gotten stuck closed.  The left side appears to push out a bit when pressing the fob button, but clearly the latch is still latched and isnt allowing it to open.

I tried to open it via the access panel per the repair manual instructions, but I cant seem get it open that way either.  I found and pressed the white 'cinch release button'  but I cant figure out what is supposed to slide in the lower release.

Manual says to stick a flathead in the right side of the opening 10mm deep and to slide to the left 5 mm.  I found the flap they're talking about, but there doesnt appear to be anything to slide inside of there, it's a relatively flat piece of metal that slopes away on the left half.  I cut the flap off and cut the opening much larger (since it's all hidden anyways) and I still can't see anything that moves / slides.  The flat piece of metal I see inside the hole has some slots in it much further to the right of the access flap, but I cant get that part to move at all.

Any ideas on how to get it open?

On a side note, I did try just taking it to the dealer.  Ones earliest appointment was October, the other was a few weeks into September.  It seems silly to wait a month to fix something simple like this.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ suggestions!!

1 hour ago, Gadgetjq said:

Another MacT video to the rescue:

The problem is that's not a 15+.  Mine looks nothing like that inside.  The access hole is about half the height, and what's behind the hole is very different.

Theres hatch sheet metal behind the access door, so the only way I can see to get to the latch itself is:

A) through a 1/2" hole drilled straight inside (with a white button to release the cinch mechanism).

B ) through what used to be a small flap at the bottom of the opening that you're supposed to stick a screwdriver in to release the latch itself.  Theres nothing in there to move by finger.  The manual says to use a 3.5mm wide screwdriver inserted on the right side of this flap (which is inserted 45 degrees angled down inside the outer access hole.

Edited by Bumpin96monte

Finally got it today, I had to go above that piece of metal.  The window to get a screwdriver in is very short in height so its hard to line it up.

I figured I'd post up here in case anyone else had to open it.

1) press the white cinch release button.  If you look straight in the rectangular trim plug, you'll see a hole in the sheet metal just to the left of the bolt.  Lay your head flat on the trunk floor and look at the very top of this hole and you'll just see the edge of this white button.  Press it once with a screwdriver (it doesnt appear to have to be held while releasing the hatch, but it will permanently illuminate the 'hatch ajar' light on the dash unless you manage to get the hatch open and then re closed.)

2) stick your flat head screwdriver down into the flap almost at the bottom of the inside of the plastic trim cover. In the pic below, you'll see I tore the flap off plus cut left and right to see what I was working with.  This is not necessary, I've shown the tiny spot the screwdriver has to go into.  Once it's in, you just push left on that little bar to release.

20190810_075142.jpg

• Like 1

Just to close this one out in case others search for it.

Below is the issue mine was having (not my video):

Put in a new latch (about $225 in stock at the dealer, look to be about $140 online if you dont mind waiting to get it shipped), but this is for the power hatch.

Followed the procedure in the manual for setting it once replaced (manually close / latch the hatch), disconnect battery for 20 seconds, open then close with remote or dash button.  Worked perfectly.

For reference, I included a picture here of the flap for the release on the new unit.  I could definitely unlatch it now without cutting that plastic open, but being the first time doing it, the manual wasn't clear enough about exactly where it needed to go to be able to do it totally blind.  Everything else went exactly as noted in the Ford repair manual.

20190810_102236.jpg

Edited by Bumpin96monte
  • Like 2